6520 South Cicero Avenue, Chicago, Illinois, 60638, United States

Mush!Mush!

frontfront

souvenirsouvenir

designsdesigns

Where to shop for prom dresses?

by llyds

I need some ideas of places to shop for prom dresses. We will be in Chicago only one afternoon, evening, and til mid-day next day. My daughter is post-bone marrow transplant & I am taking her & her sister just for some fun (for a change!). We are familiar with the Michigan Avenue area & would assume there would be good places there? We have a moderate budget, but I know they may also enjoy shopping the higher end.

We will be driving, but time is short so I don't want to be hauling all over the Chicago area for the isolated shop.

Also--we have stayed at the downtown Hampton and may again, but it just kills me to pay $42 for parking. Are there any other options? Lots nearby, or even further out & take the train in, etc, or would you not recommend leaving our vehicle (brand new) there?

Another option we have done is Amtrak down from Milwaukee, which may be nice, but limits where we would shop.

Ideas??
Thanks.

Re: Where to shop for prom dresses?

by Dabs

If you are coming on the weekend, there is at least one garage that I know of that is $8 on the weekend, I'm not quite sure how it works overnight, I assume that some time in the morning it becomes an additional $8 but it beats $42. The lot is on Kinzie between LaSalle and Clark, there is a CVS pharmacy in the same building and it's called Sterling Self Park. It's about 3 blocks from the Hampton on Illinois Street, you might wish to drop your luggage and then go park. If it's not the weekend, the garages in Millennium Park start at about $25 per 24 hours, that would be further away than the Sterling Self Park. No in and out privileges for either.

I'm afraid I don't know about prom dresses but you might try a few of the discounters on either State Street or Michigan Avenue-Filene's, Nordstrom Rack, H&M, Loehmann's, Marshall's and TJ Maxx all have stores on one or the other. You might find something in their stock from their New Year's overstock.

Re: Where to shop for prom dresses?

by Carrieshiscameras

Take the train. My husband and I do that from Southern Illinois. A cab ride from Union Station to hotels in North Michigan Avenue is around $10 depending on the number of riders, etc. Many buses run up and down Michigan Avenue and are easy to use. The train really reduces the hassle of driving and parking. If you are taking Amtrak, my husband prefers business class. There is a small difference in price for much more comfortable seating.
If you are looking for budget prom dresses,check both Filene's on North Michigan and the one on State Street.

Travel Tips for Chicago

Parking in Lincoln Park

by BeatChick

One thing I've noticed about Chicago is that it is notoriously difficult to find inexpensive parking (or parking, period). When Mr. Connolly & I drove to Chicago this past autumn, we stayed in the Lincoln Park area. Unfortunately, the place we stayed had no parking and there seems to be no street parking available in Lincoln Park as every street around had decal parking (for those who lived on those streets). Just as we were about to give up, we found parking at the Lincoln Park Supermarket which allowed us to park for two days for the set rate of $18/day. At $36, the Mr. considered that a bargain (at least compared to NYC, where he's originally from).

Look at the photo to discern hourly parking rates. The best part is that the lot is patrolled so we felt entirely safe leaving the "Daddy Caddy" there!

FYI - you may also purchase CTA Transit Cards here.

Address: 2500 N Clark

Photo: May 2009

Soldier Field

by phil_uk_net

Soldier Field is the home of the Chicago Bears. It wasn't football season when I went but even if it had have been I wouldn't have gone. I find American football extremely boring to watch and I understand that tickets cost a fortune.

www.soldierfield.net

Old Memories never fade

by Radiomom

Learning the ropes of 'life as a Commuter'... riding the IC from Olympia Fields to North Michigan Avenue...playing bridge in the smoking car...having lunch (grilled cheese and bacon sandwich with a cherry-coke) at Charmain's...going out with co-workers for a cheeseburger and a beer (with a fake ID) at Billy Goat's Tavern...working with Jack Brickhouse and Paul Harvey...taking visiting college friends out for pizza at Uno's or Christmas shopping at Marshall Field's...walking in those big brass doors at the Wrigley Building and going up in an elevator--with a uniformed operator...wondering what was going on at the Democratic National Convention...

Elbo Room, on N. Lincoln, I...

by FrenchieRona

Elbo Room, on N. Lincoln, I believe. They have a comedy night on Sunday nights at 8 p.m. Great comedians and friendly folks. After the comedy show, there is usually an acid jazz band playing and you can dance the night away. The patrons here are really friendly, I met quite a few of them here who were laid-back and non-pretentious. What I miss is the parks and beaches along Lake Michigan. Spending a day biking or roller-blading at Hyde Park, North Beach or Grant Park is absolutely fantastic! It was about 70 degrees when I visited last week. (April 2001)

Take the Chicago River...

by luv2learn

Take the Chicago River architecture tour. The perspective is unique and the tour guides are very knowlegeable. Be sure to reserve ahead as the tours sell out quickly in warm weather. Here's the web address: www.cruisechicago.com/

Comments