163 East Walton Place, Chicago, Illinois, 60611-1527, United States

Expedia.com Hotels.com Booking.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• WulfstanTraveller's Profile Photo

Great Old Hotel

This is a great old hotel just off the Magnificent Mile. It has recently (as of 2013) been highly renovated and refurbished. The lobby is lovely, rooms are nice, and prices very good. For significantly less than a standard, cramped room with two doubles at the Intercontinental, here one can get a whole wuite with sofa queen bed in the living room and separate bedroom with king bed. Moreover, the beds are wonderful, some of the most comfortable I've experienced (one can see my various tips on this, but the three other hotels which I can think of off the top of my head that had similarly comfortable beds were the Efe in Edirne, Turkey, the Piety Hill Cottages/Inn in Nevada City California, and the Marinem in Ankara, Turkey).

The price and sizes of rooms make this a great choice for those with kids and who want a nice hotel in a central location.

Staff are not only competent and efficient, but they are friendly and both the staff and overall feel of the hotel make it not only a lovely, grand place, but give it a comfortable, personal feel as well. This is currently our go-to place in Chicago.

Unique Quality: Great rooms and beds, great service. It has a good location, too, just off the Magnificent Mile.

Directions: River North area, just east of Michigan Ave.

• keida84's Profile Photo

Better than the previous reviews

I was a bit apprehensive about staying at the Knickerbocker Hotel on a recent trip we made to Chicago. I had used Priceline to secure a room at a reasonable rate. When I tried to make a request in for a room that had double beds, the telephone reservationist was so accomodating until she found that I had used Priceline, she could not get me off the phone quickly enough and refused to note my request. I read many reviews that was less than favorable so I decided to take a "wait and see" attitude. Upon check in they had given us a room with a queen bed. We were offered a superior room upgrade to a room with double beds. The upgrade was not that much more then what we were paying so we took it.

This hotel is NOT geared to family traveling; it is more for the businessman, a couple traveling or for two gals in Chicago at Christmastime and are ready to shop!

The hotel is rated 4 stars, it is quite beautiful in the public areas but the rooms are in need of a definite face lift. The rooms were spotless but a bit shabby. I would rate this hotel 3 and a half stars at best. Our Priceline rate was well below the advertised rate even with the upgrade.

Unique Quality: The Martini Bar was awesome, a great place to have a nightcap after shopping all day. I was impressed as the bar had "Romana Della Notte" otherwise known as "Black Sambuca" a rare version of the clear Sambuca which has more of a bite to it.

Internet access to others who have no laptop is expensive ($5.00 for 15 minutes) but in this time you can check in and print out boarding passes if you have an upcoming flight. I do however, not recommend this facility for "sufing the net."

The hotel is just off Michigan Avenue so walking to the shops is easy. It is close to the Hancock Tower where you can go up and have a drink in their cocktail lounge or buy a bite to eat at the Italian deli at street level.

Directions: Corner of E. Walton and Michigan Avenue at the North end of the Magificent Mile.

• deecat's Profile Photo

One of Oldest Hotels is One of the Best...

"It's one of those cities we feel we know a lot about because it has such a prominent place in the imaginative life of the twentieth century, whether because of Al Capone, Mayor Daley, or Michael Jordan" Salman Rushdie, January 1996

For the feel of elegance from another era, choose the Millennium Knickerbocker Hotel Chicago. The rooms are smaller than some of the more contemporary hotels; however, these rooms and suites are beautiful, intimate, and sophisticated. The success of this hotel is based on luxury and service.

There are 305 guestrooms, The Crystal Ballroom with its 28-foot-high gilded domed ceiling (palatial, indeed), the Martini Bar, and the NIX Restaurant.
    From the moment the doorman opens the door, you know this is something special.
    The hotel has a history that permeates the rooms.

The location is excellent and within walking distance of Chicago's finest shopping on Michigan Avenue.

Unique Quality: I would suggest asking for the Classic rooms, which are more spacious than the Deluxe rooms. And, they have just recently received a completely new decor, most with chinoiseries armoires. Some even have walk-in marble showers. They also have canopied beds and mini-bars. Of the 305 rooms in the hotel, 109 are Classic Rooms.

All rooms feature:

In-room movies, HBO
    Hair dryers
    Iron & Irnoning Boards
    Terrycloth robes
    complimentary newspapers

The Martini Bar is fantastic. They serve 44 different Martinis plus fine wines, beers, and other cocktails. There is nightly entertainment
    Wed.-Sat.

The NIX Restaurant has American cuisine in a bistro setting.

This is an unique hotel. Try it for a special celebration.

More about Millennium Knickerbocker Hotel Chicago

Generous pour bartenders

by keida84 about The Martini Bar at the Millennium Knickerbocker

We were ever so lucky to have this wonderful bar in our hotel. The Millennium Knickerbocker's Martini Bar is a great way to relax after a busy day. Both times the bartenders were "generous pours" and each made a great Grey Goose Martini. But it was my order of "Della Notte Sambucca" aka black sambucca that raised an eyebrow or two then garnered me a little bow of respect as further inquisition of how I would like that served (neat with 3 coffee beans please) made both these gentleman realise the lady knows how to order a drink! Ahhhhhhhh, a very nice nightcap, you ought to try it, really you should.

A lot of people come and go and it is a great place to people watch especially at the holidays when there are a lot of Christmas/Holiday parties going on and everyone is dressed to the nines. Although there is no dress code the atmosphere tends to be a bit more upscale so I would not wear a bathing suit, cover up and flip flops (especially in the wintertime) however a nice pair of jeans and a nice sweater is just fine here.

Great Location

by TripAdvisor Member IrishGirl15

Stayed in the Millenium Knickerbocker in April 04 for seven nights. Staff were really friendly on check in and the concierge was always able to answer our questions.

The room itself was small but the kingsized bed was very comfortable. Nicely decorated but very dark due to surrounding buildings. You would need the light on during the day. Bathroom very small but adequate.

Only complaint is that the walls are paper thin so you can hear everything! I would ask for a room away from the elevators when booking as Im sure these would be very noisey at all times.

Restaurant was lovely. Only ever had the buffet breakfast but there was plenty of choice and the staff are very attentive.

Location is excellent , at the top of the magnificent mile. Always plenty of taxis at the door and youre in the main shopping area which is always good. Surrounding area felt very safe.

Definitely not a 4-star hotel

We booked the Knickerbocker through Priceline, and we saved about $200 from the next best deal on a 4-star hotel. After reading the reviews, we were a little worried. We automatically asked for a larger room when we arrived. They upgraded us to a "30%" larger room for an additional $15/night; It was fine, but knowing this was the "bigger" room, the other rooms must have been a closet. The public areas were fine. The rooms and hallways were older and in need of renovation. It looked like there must be 20 coats of paint on the molding aside from the poor workmanship. Behind the industrial style toilet were yellow water stains all over the wall. There was a pedestal sink with 1-1/2 thin glass shelves to put your things on (hoping they wouldn't fall into the toilet). The bathroom was only about 4-1/2 ft. x 6 ft. including the tub area. As far as the paper-thin walls, I was awoken 3 times one night by people talking at a normal tone in the hall, and our neighbors using speaker-phone to call downstairs, although their phone was not turned up loudly. I could actually easily make every word out that was spoken. The last day, the shower water turned brown and left us with dirty feeling hair and black soot in the tub. When we filled the sink, we realized it too was brown. We took pictures on our camera and showed the front desk. They said "we're very sorry", and that was it. No offer to try to make things better or anything. I think a decent 3-star hotel would at least make sure you had clean water or do something to try to make it right. I don't have a clue how this got it's 4-star rating, but I would not recommend it staying here. It is an ok location, but we felt that the Marriott, the Omni (either one) or the Westin were all better locations. This is one hotel that is living off yesterday's fame.

Great Location

You can't beat the location! It was perfect; right off the Magnificant Mile, Michigan Avenue. The hotel was nice and and the staff friendly.
We had a king room, which was somewhat small, but didn't matter too much. I would have preferred a bit bigger bathroom, but we managed just fine. Remember, it's an older hotel and they did'nt make the rooms very big at that time. I found a price online at around $99, however, when I called the hotel I got it for $79 a night. Wow, what a deal! Taxi's were abundant outside the hotel. Not once, did we ever have to wait for a taxi....what convenience this was. We ate the buffet breakfast in the Nix restaurant one morning and it was very good. On our last day, we checked out at Noon, however, we were'nt leaving until late in the day, and they kept our luggage for us until we were ready to pick it up in the late afternoon. We appreciated this. I would recommend this hotel as it's location is really good and the price wasn't bad either!

Great Location, More Renovations Needed

My wife and I stayed at the Knickerbocker April 7-10, 2004. The location is excellent, a quick walk to the Lake Michigan walking paths and terrific shopping on Michigan Avenue and restaurants on Rush Street. This hotel is very old and after visiting their website, we were under the impression that extensive renovations were complete. We were ready for the small room but not ready for the toilet that required multiple flushes, the sink that would not drain and the shower head that needed to be replaced. The staff was very responsive to all of our complaints but the maintenance man that told us not to use more than 12 sheets of toilet paper or the toilet would clog took the prize.
We will not return here.

Perfect Chicago Location

by TripAdvisor Member jp7124

I just stayed two nights at this property. My room was clean, check-in and check-out was fast, the staff was helpful and friendly. The hotel is in a great location, across from the Drake, a half block off Michigan Ave. It appeared the hotel had been renovated and it was complete. My only complaints.....the bath is small and only the a/c OR the heat can be on in the hotel at the sametime. Ask which is being used before you arrive if the seasons are changing!

Prime Gold Coast Retreat

by TripAdvisor Member tmonken4

My wife & I celebrated our anniversary at the Knickerbocker & could not have been treated better. Before we were out of our cab, our bags had been loaded on a cart & we were walked into the hotel by a doorman. The rooms were well appointed & the entire hotel staff was very friendly. This is a prime location for shopping, sightseeing or nightlife.

Don't book on priceline!

I stayed here for 5 nights last summer. I booked the reservation on priceline for $75/night which was the cheapest rate I could find anywhere during a convention week. Anyway, when I arrived at 11 pm from the airport, I was told that they had overbooked the hotel and had no room for me. They booked me at a dumpy 2 star motel by the airport. They gave me $20 for a taxi to get there, and it cost me $35. I was late for a meeting the next morning because of the extra travel and packing/unpacking. The Millennium offered no compensation whatsoever for their foul-up. No free drink, no room upgrade, nothing. Since I booked on the internet, I was chopped liver. Beware.

Comments