Red Roof Inn Chicago Downtown

Arts and Culture Business Travel Budget Travel
See Amenities

This place is Operating at 1%

by written on July 20, 2012

So I stayed at this place while I was in Chicago with a friend for the drum and bass festival. The rest of our team stayed around the corner at a nice place but we wanted a case of Scabies so we opted to save the $15. I'm an Irish Catholic Democratic so I thought I'd feel right at home In Obama's city but when I asked to watch the soccer game the gentlemen at the bar told me Dempo Sucks and Socher fans can *** off! This was the last straw, there was no way I was going to smell this guys hair. I unleashed a fit of loud noises and skull cracked myself all over the bar. My friend DJ also had a terrible experience at this hotel. He asked for a wake up call at 8am the following day, however the hotel somehow “forgot” and consequently because DJ has a physical problem he never woke up until 6pm that evening and missed an amazing day out in Chicago. When we told the front desk, the guy just said "**** off manchild"

No Huggy bears for Red Roof Inn!!

Worst Hotel Ever!!!

by written on December 18, 2011

This place is disgusting! It is infested with BEDBUGS!!! I don't know about you, but to me that is unacceptable. We ditched this place and took our business elsewhere which is exactly what you need to do. Do not stay here!!! It is easily the worst hotel in which I have stayed. Just spend the extra money and get a room that is not gross and you don't have to worry about waking up with bites all over you.

Unique Quality: Nothing that would be described as a quality. Everything unique about it is negative.

EXPENSIVE ROACH MOTEL

by written on September 13, 2011

Upon checking into this hotel I knew we were in for an experience. We were not impressed to say the least but were stuck with it. We went up to our room on the third floor and when we walked into the room it was like entering a sauna and was about the size of a walk in closet! The bathroom was disgusting and had mold a peeling paint. Not to mention the Damn COCKROACHES!!! I could not believe we had paid almost $200.00 to sleep here because everything else was booked!! We didn't get much sleep needless to say because we left the lights on all night.
At checkout I brought the bag of cockroaches to the front desk where she offered me a refund of half of my bill. I felt we should have been refunded in full but she refused. I will be contacting there corporate offices and the department of health on Chicago. I would never recommend this hotel to anyone!

Nice price= Terrible rooms

by written on September 4, 2011

I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL TO ANYONE! The staff was nice and welcoming, however the rooms were very small. In our first room the tv didn't work, when we told the staff they said they maintenance man would come and switch our tv. While we waited for the maintenance, we decided to go see some attractions. When we came back the maintenance man had left for the night, so we switched our room. Our second room was larger, but this room had roaches. Huge ones and smaller ones. Also the walls were very thin so we heard the people next door exclaim "Are those bedbugs?!" At that point we had enough and decided to check out, but the staff persuaded us into trying one more room, a suite this time on a higher floor. This room was filthy, it had dried wet toilet paper stuck to the floor, wet towels on the beds, and at least 50 dead mosquitoes in the sink. We checked out after that and went to another hotel, which was much cleaner.

Unique Quality: Great views of the roof of the building next door

Un ***ing Believable!!!!!!!!!!!

by written on June 15, 2011

There were bugs everywhere even on the floor, toliet, beds and they were trying to make there way up to my ass as I was sleeping. I have never seen so much *** in my life, that didn't come from my body! Never took any clothing off even my coat and shoes, for the fear of e-coli. When I went down to discuss my situation with the front desk person, they said, "who the *** cares". I tried many other hotels in downtown Chicago and they were all booked. I then realized I was stuck in this hell hole! Chicago should be ashamed of them selves. The owners of this red roof inn should hung! I mean come on every review on here is a pisser. Then the "manager" who reads them and gives reply's, just gives two ***s about it. Thank you Red Roof Inn of downtown Chicago for ***ing up my night! *** off!

Unique Quality: None!!!!!!!!!
Stay Away ***ers!!!!!!!!!!!

Directions: Magnifficent Mile

Bubbleyums's Profile Photo

A little stinky

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 15, 2010

Although our hotel was in a good location downtown, I must speak out on some of its flaws. For starters, I had previously booked an online reservation, but I had to call Red Roof Inn to recieve a confrimation page, simply because the system didn't send one to my email address. Also, when we finally arrived and checked in, we were greeted by housekeepers who were still cleaning our room. We were let into another very outdated, and dusty room until ours was finished. However when we stepped into our supposedly fresh room, there appeared to be a very dusty vent, and a stale smell in our guest bathroom. But the worst thing that happened, was when we arrived back at the hotel from sightseeing and shopping on our last day in town, to find our room door opened by a housekeeper looking for checkouts. Our laptop, store purchases, and luggage, could have been stolen. For goodness sake, we were only 8 minutes late checking out !!!!! When she realized that our luggage was packed and ready to go, she could have at least locked the door, and then check back in a few minutes, before she decided to go and clean other rooms. Do not stay here just because its cheap !

roaches and bugs

by written on September 16, 2009

My wife and I had stayed at the RRI previously, with no problems, so I had no qualms about booking her and friend.
The hotel is just off Michigan in a good area, and is priced right.
Unfortunately, my wife found the room infested with roaches and other bugs. Management made excuse and apologized, but made no offer of a free night or reduced rate. In her letter the GM said she recognized that she "has lost our business". How right she is.

Perfect Location

by written on August 15, 2006

My girlfriend and I wanted to go to Chicago for 2 nights. Unfortunately, we were there during a major conference (understand: major conference in Chicago = Highest prices of the year + few downtown rooms availability).
Here is just a quick list of things you can expect:
- The hotel is perfectly located 1 block east of North Michigan avenue (aka mag. mile), you can hardly find a better location for this price range.
- Service was really friendly when we checked in but a little bit laid back when we checked out.
- The rooms were clean but towels were dirty (they changed them in no time).
- The bathroom are really old, they really should consider redesigning them.
- Our room was on the 2nd floor, Ontario Street side, but even though, it was relatively quiet.

Unique Quality: What you really have to understand is that this is not one of these hotel you'd like to spend some time in. Don' t expect great comfort or any cool extras. No hotel in this area of Chicago can beat their price. The hotel is clean and functional PERIOD!
If you are demanding on cool facilities you WILL find 4* hotels for the same price around the O'hare International Airport (about 45-60 min away by train)

edith626's Profile Photo

chicago downtown

by written on November 6, 2005

if you are looking for a gret location downtown chicago and reasonable price- i found the red roof inn is very good idea. it is right in the heart of teh city, only a block from the loop and the least expensive spot i found. it is not "fancy" but really clean, neat and staff friendly.

Directions: downtown

m-gem's Profile Photo

Comfortable and great location

by written on July 23, 2005

I had read online that the Red Roof was basic and some rooms were cramped, so I didn't expect too much. Our experience seemed to match most of the ones I'd read, though our room wasn't too cramped at all (we had a more deluxe double room with a king size bed and larger tv). There was plenty of space in the room, the bathroom was quite decently sized and had a tub, and there was plenty of storage space. Oh, and there is air conditioning (I'm not used to AC being a given). It wasn't one of the nicest hotels I've ever stayed in, but it certainly wasn't one of the worst, and it is in a nice old brick building. The hotel staff were nice enough, though we only really dealt with them when we checked in and out. The Red Roof was one of the cheapest rates we could find for a downtown hotel, and it was certainly worth it.

Unique Quality: The facilities are very basic, but what is particularly great about the hotel is its location. It is only a block off of Michigan Ave in the Near North area, and not too far of a walk from the Chicago River or the lake. You can hardly be more in the center of it all. Our room had one window facing in the direction of Michigan Ave, which made for some nice people/traffic watching.

Nearby Red Roof Inn Chicago Downtown

• Business Services
  • Pets Allowed
  • Suites

Chicago Travel Forum

Need advice about Chicago, Illinois? Visit the Travel Forum for Chicago and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Chicago hotel reviews

Field Museum of Natural History
Trolleys (some are FREE)
Art Institute
Things to Do
Amtrak (U.S. train network)
Transportation
Greyhound/Megabus (U.S. bus system)
Lake Michigan & Lincoln Park