1 W Wacker Dr, Chicago, Illinois, 60601, United States

Booking.com Hotels.com Renaissance Hotels

• MatthewMetcalfe's Profile Photo

Excellent Downtown Chicago Hotel

We chose this hotel because it was right on the river in the heart of downtown. Being a Renaissance it is more expensive than many other hotels. The rooms are nicer and there are a lot of amenities at this hotel including a Spa, a very large Hotel bar and excellent restaurants. The staff is very accomodating as you would expect from a hotel of this caliber.

Unique Quality: If you get the opportunity, try and book a room on a higher level that overlooks the river. The views are incredible, especially at night!

Directions: Right Downtown on Wacker Street. The House of Blues is directly across the river.

• spgood301's Profile Photo

A comfortable stay, right in the Loop

Yes, the Renaissance is a chain hotel, but I took to it. Walk through their huge lobby with the big ceiling, all done up during the holidays. The rooms are pretty good sized, fine for beng on holiday, and you will sleep well there. And the hotel's prime dowtown location, on Wacker Drive and State Street on the Chicago River, puts you right in the heart of the action. They've also got two restaurants, both on the second floor.

One warning: the gift shop closes very early, and I couldn't find any vending machines. Keep that in mind if you need a late night snack or a drink: you may want to get it early.

Unique Quality: The view from my room, overlooking the Chicago River, was indeed great. I took a few pictures and posted them with this tip.

I had a nice experience with their lost and found department. I left my dirty clothes there when I checked out. One phone call, and my laundry bag was located, boxed up and on it's way to my home, free of charge. Basic service, I know, but I've had problems with other hotels in the past. Thanks guys.

And next time, I'll remember: don't leave my dirty laundry lying around!!!

• dansc0tt's Profile Photo

Not a bad hotel, not a bad location

Stayed here for a week or so. Great location for the Magnificant Mile (shopping et al) and not bad for any of Chicago's attractions. Don't bother with the gym though - its pretty pathetic! Apparently the fish restuarant downstairs is very good - so go eat some?

Unique Quality: Oh Yeah - ask for a view of the river - makes for some great photographs!

More about Renaissance Chicago Hotel

You must visit as many places...

by lilelway

You must visit as many places as possible in the U.S. If you go to New York City, you must stay at the Renaissance Hotel. If you go to Key Largo, stay at the Marriotte Key Largo.

By far and wide, the best!

by TripAdvisor Member Spaceace

We love staying at the Renaissance Chicago. The staff is always so attentive, and the property is as crisp as ever.

Everything about this hotel says Chicago. From the architecture, to the artwork, and even to the names of the suites.

The rooms are HUGE for a Loop property, and all of them offer swollen puffy beds for your relaxation and enjoyment.

The location is also great, as it is situated at the HEART of chicago (1 W Wacker, at the corner of Wacker and State... you can't get much more Chicago!) with easy access by L, cab or foot to any other point in Chicagoland.

This is my fav Chicago hotel, and I put all of my out of town guests up here, because you have every option in Chicago, from dining, to sightseeing to clubbing at your very doorstep, and when you're done, you have a pristine oasis awaiting you!

Nice, comfortable, great location

by TripAdvisor Member Gary1227

As a Chicago native I don't often have the opportunity to stay in local hotels. While my home was being remodeled for 5 days, I stayed here in a king room. The room was comfortable, oversized and included a full size sofa bed. The common areas and lobby are very well appointed. There is a Starbucks and snack shop within the hotel complex. This hotel is not as flashy and hip as some of the newer hotels in town but I very much enjoyed the low key nature and quietness of this hotel. I got a great rate from Priceline which made this hotel a great bargain for a 4 star hotel. Note that only some rooms have a view of the River. My room was on the "L" side but was well sound proofed and I still enjoyed a city view.

Spacious and comfy - but a bit tired around the edges.

Stayed for one night at the beinning of October. The hotel is in an excellent location and is easy to get to and from everything of interest. Rooms are spacious and the bed is really comfortable. Impressed with the clean bathroom as well. Furnishings are a bit tired around the edges and showing some age. Not much of a view from our room. Not as romantic as I had hoped and somewhat pricey $220. Try to find a cheaper rate if you can. Not a bad place to stay though.

Beautiful 4 Star Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Spagal82

I took my husband to Chicago for his birthday where we had a great time. As soon as you walk into this hotel you know its a 4 star hotel. The service was great and the people were very friendly. We got this hotel through priceline.com for $150 per night, but i now found out we could've gotten a hotel right on michigan ave. for way less then that, so i was kinda bummed about that. Their restaurant was a little pricey for us, breakfast buffet $16pp. There is a great Borders about 2 blocks away on State St. and many stores by Marshall Fields which is also only a few blocks away as well. So you dont have to walk to Michigan Ave. if you dont want, but we didnt notice this until we were leaving.

Very nice!!

by TripAdvisor Member ndaewg

I stayed at this hotel in Jan. 2005. We took the "L" to the hotel from Midway airport. It was so easy to find, we just went down the stairs from the "L" and there was the hotel (and protesters outside the hotel for some reason.) Anyway, the lobby was very nice and big, very elegant. Check-in was a breeze, however we requested 2 double beds and she said they didn't have anything available. She then said they had a King room w/a sofa bed. So, we took that. Glad we did, because it was on the corner of a high floor and the room was about double the size of a regular room. It was very nice, however it could use a little updating.
The location was very good, but since it was next to the "L" you could hear it all night until it stopped.
It was a short walk to the Magnificant Mile shops and State Street shops were even closer.

Next time I'd like to stay on the mile because it seems thats where we spent most of our time.

Beware of Train!!

by TripAdvisor Member watchful1

If you really want to stay at this hotel, and I found it to be nothing special, be sure to ask not to be on the train side of the building. There is a train stop literally right next to the building and the sound is the same as spending the night in a train station. If the noise doesn't bother you, then you should be fine. It is in a good location, but so are 100 other hotels. And it's not that great a value for the room rates. Not sure how it is managing to get so many rave reviews.

Best place to stay in LA

by Irishrovers2

Where's the best place to stay in LA?

Just hanging out, eating, tourist trail etc for a couple of days...

by YVRDave

If I was to shrink it down to a small area, some where along the Santa Monica Blvd stretch from Santa Monica to Hollywood.

by johnaalex

I would also say Santa Monica or Marina Del Rey.

Regards

John

by 2AussieGuys

Santa Monica is a great choice as is Marina del Rey or Venice beach. All very happening and lots of fun things to do - but can be pricey for hotels etc...particularly over the peak summer season...Consider up around Hollywood area for an alternative (I can definitely recommend the Renaissance Hotel cnr Hollywood & Hyland.....sits on top of a metro station too which is handy). But there are other options in the immediate area.

by Beausoleil

Santa Monica . . . Lots to do, great views.

Comments