201 E. Walton Place, Chicago, Illinois, 60611, United States

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Residence Inn Chicago Downtown

Okay if You lIke Crowds

by TripAdvisor Member JenP1

We have a big family so it's always a chore to find a two bedroom suite, even if price isn't an issue. Residence Inn offers plenty of room. We had a two bedroom suite but could have used another bathroom since we have two teenage girls. Hot water was also a problem. Our room was located at the end of the hall and it took no less that 5 minutes with every faucet running to get hot water. The room also smelled bad, like hobos had been camping in it for several days.

The hotel itself was at full capacity since it was a holiday weekend and the elevators were very slow. The breakfast was a big plus except the guests would camp out at big tables and one morning some of us sat at a dirty table while the rest had to stand. It did save us a lot of time and you can't beat the price....free! It certainly wasn't a relaxing experience having to elbow your way in to get food and then to try and not trip over small children running amok.

As far as the location, it's good if all you want to do is shop. I prefer a more central location near the river.

I would recommend this hotel to people with small children but I won't be staying there again. It was far too chaotic.

A real gem in Chicago for families

by TripAdvisor Member vakirk

This place is an absolute GEM for families staying in downtown Chicago. The free breakfast and dinner every day (with free beer and wine at dinner!) is wonderful. We were serenaded by a staff member one morning during breakfast! The staff at the front desk is outstanding. It was pouring rain when we arrived, but we didn't have an umbrella. They lent us one to use during our stay! : ) The one bedroom room was so spacious, it felt like our own apartment. With three full closets, we didn't have to stare at or move around our bags. The kitchen set up was perfect. The room was quiet and even had a cool view. The bathroom was a little short on counter space, but it was cozy, like one you'd find in a home. Overall, this was one of the best hotel experiences our family has ever had. The location is unbeatable... just two blocks from Lake Michigan, the Hancock building, the Water Works Tower, and great shopping.

Great Location!!!

by TripAdvisor Member Venus2

We enjoyed our stay at this hotel. The staff was very polite and courteous. The hot breakfast is an added plus. We had our bikes and they stored the bikes for us. We went on a bike ride on the lakefront which is located a couple blocks away. We would defintely stay at this hotel again.

Absolutely wonderful hotel!!

by TripAdvisor Member RD28

This hotel is located two blocks away from the Hancock Observatory and the Magnificent Mile. We (my husband and 15 year old son) stayed for three nights (8/20 - 8/23/07) in a one-bedroom suite. It was huge! -easily over 900 square feet (or at least felt like it). Staff friendly and very helpful. Each morning I'd ask the desk about the best bus route to the attraction we were visiting and they would give specific directions including exactly where the bus stop was. The breakfasts were excellent and filling. Very clean. We always stay at a Residence Inn when we travel and this one was one the nicest ones yet. You will not be disappointed.

In need of renovation

by TripAdvisor Member OllieMonster

We regularly stay at Residence inns, so were a little suprised at how
outdated our hotel room was. They are clearly in a renovation programme - and it needs it. We had a 2 bedroom suite which was a good size for five people but with only one bathroom it was not ideal.

Our suite had everything else we have come to expect of Residence Inn's - it was just old fashioned. It was clean, comfortable and quiet - which are always my most important factors when chosing a hotel. It is in a great location too.

Given that the rooms are being updated - I would probably stay here again.

Generous room, but not really a suite

by TripAdvisor Member jack96

I was somewhat disappointed as the Inn is listed as a suite, but it is only one large room with a kitchenette, a small sofa bed & a queen bed. My husband & I sometimes get up in the night and it is nice to be able to read without bothering the other. When this came about, I had to sit in the bathroom because it was the only part that had a door that shut off the rest of the suite. Otherwise everthing else was quite up to snuff and it has lower prices right now because they are remodelling one floor at a time. We did hear anything. Breakfast buffet was extensive.

Nice place

by TripAdvisor Member bbrinkm

We stayed at the Residence inn for nearly a full week in November '07 and had a nice stay. There were 5 of us, including a small baby, and at first we were put in a "Queen studio", which seemed only slightly larger than a regular hotel room, and had a full kitchenette. (Fridge, small stove, dishwasher, sink) It was a bit snug for 5. So... I went down to the front desk and asked if we could get a bigger room. Couldn't have taken 5 minutes and we had keys to a new room. This one had a separate bedroom, nice living room, lots of closet space, and a slightly bigger kitchen. Was a bit more $$ but that's to be expected. Had a great stay. Staff was polite, courteous and very helpful. The only thing I can suggest to improve the place would be the addition of a pool.

Old but nice

by TripAdvisor Member mon4rch

I just returned from Chicago where we stayed in the Chicago Residence Inn. It is currently undergoing a remodel which it definitely needs. However, the rooms where large and clean and the staff very accomodating. It is in a great location - between Mag Mile and lake.
My only complaint would be that the elevators are too small for the number of people who stay there.
I would recommend this motel.

Very Nice Room in a Great Building

by TripAdvisor Member Anonymous00001

This hotel is a very nice place for a family visit to downtown Chicago. It's in a great location, on East Walton, just a block east of the Hancock Tower near the Miracle Mile.

This hotel is undergoing renovations, but my room was completely unaffected by any construction noise and I didn't even see any work in progress. Work is expected to be complete by the end of April 2008. My room on the 11th floor appeared to already have been updated based on the very good overall condition and the appointments in the bathroom and kitchen.

A hotel staff can make or break a hotel, and this hotel has a good staff--very courteous and helpful. Valet parking was very quick and painless. No need to call ahead. On checkout, my car was in front of the hotel in less than two minutes! The management was very receptive to feedback and it was obvious that from top to bottom, the staff wants its guests to enjoy their stay.

This hotel had once long ago been apartments and was converted to a hotel. The suites are very well laid out with lots of room and closet space for hotel guests. We had a two bedroom suite, which had a queen bed in each of the bedrooms with phone and TV. The main bedroom was very large, and both bedrooms had large closets. The single bathroom was a little small, but a pedestal sink helped make good use of the space. The bathroom had very new white tile throughout. The full kitchen has new cabinets, new laminate counter tops, new appliances and a new small table set for four. The large living area had a TV (with internet TV), desk (with hi-speed internet connection and phone), a chair and couch. The chair and couch appeared to be left over from before the renovation, and since they were quite obviously the only things in the room that were not new.

The breakfast in the morning was in the "gatehouse," which for the rest of us means the lobby to the left of the entrance. There was a full breakfast with plenty of choices. Food was very fresh. Seating area was limited though. There were enough tables, but it seemed that they were short a few chairs. There was almost no food available after 8:30, though, so get there early enough. I'm sure that management will fix that problem after I brought it to their attention.

Overall, a very nice stay in a good location. The staff made this a painless stay.

Here's two tips:
- Valet parking is $40+tax. I decided it was worth the convenience, but there are cheaper lots within a block or two for a 24-hr stay of $25-28.
- Cab far to Navy Pier was just under $6 for four people.

Great location

by TripAdvisor Member DublinSteen

Stayed here for a quick shopping break at the beginning of December. Great location, very friendly staff. Hotel was clean and comfortable. Will definitely use again.

buyingbuying

what to orderwhat to order

moren beer!moren beer!

tolltoll

Architectural boat tour on a layover?

by SassyMcPeaches

Would it be overambitious to try to squeeze an architectural boat tour into a domestic layover at O'Hare? In you opinion, what would be the minimum length of time I would need to do so?

by Odinnthor

That depends entirely on the length of the layover and time frame. There are several such tours, so you must have the tour information, and time and lenght of the tour. So you should be able to see if the tour appears to fit in the time frame of the layover. We can then tell you if you have enough time before and after the tour, to get to/from the airport in time to check in and out.

by SassyMcPeaches

I haven't actually booked the ticket yet, but there are quite a few options all throughout the day (it would be a Thursday in late September). I'm hoping I can plan which ticket to purchase based on what I would need to make it into the city, take the tour and return to O'Hare.

by riorich55

A few things to consider.

1) Luggage - Are you having it transferred to your next flight or do you have to take it off one flight and check it in on another?

2) The "L" train (Blue Line) departs from O'Hare approximately every 20 minutes to go downtown and takes about 40 minutes.

3) It should be a short enough walk (less then 10 minutes) to catch the boat for the tour

4) You will have to go back through the security lines at O'Hare once you return and that can take anywhere from 5 minutes to 30 minutes depending on the terminal and time of day.

by Dabs

Getting from O'Hare to downtown on the blue line should be a 45-60 minute ride so 2 hours total for that, you have to walk over and get on the cruise assuming you are taking one that starts at Michigan & Wacker so budget 30 minutes total for that. You need to be there around when one starts, Wendella runs every 2 hours, Shoreline every 45 minutes, the CAF tours which people tend to recommend over the Wendella or Shoreline (I think they are all fine, the CAF docents are more knowledgable if you like your "facts" to be real facts) run every 1/2 hour to every hour BUT they can sometimes be fully booked, slightly less chance of it in late Sept on a weekday, the river tours are 60-90 minutes.

So you're at 4 hours plus couple hours to get in and out of the airport and a couple hour cushion for the tours if they are booked up, I probably wouldn't try it with anything less than 8 hours. For just wandering around the city, my minimum would be 6 hours, less than that you can still go to the area around the airport and grab a meal, a lot of the pizza places and steak houses have a presence in Rosemont and nearby cities.

by SassyMcPeaches

Thank you, everyone! That really helps!

Comments