410 N Dearborn St, Chicago, Illinois, 60610, United States

Expedia.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

• iam1wthee's Profile Photo

Residence Inn River North

As soon as I stepped into the room I felt like I was on vacation. Everything was crisp and clean. The bed was very comfortable. Customer service and housekeeping were exceptional. The location was decent. Buses stopped across the street. The trains were 3 blocks away. Restaurants and lounges galore. House of Blues was across the street. In walking distance to huge malls and stores. I got lost in one twice.

Unique Quality: Pots, pans, dishes, glasses, dishwasher,toaster, microwave, stove, huge refrigerator.
    free breakfast and the free evening cocktail offered on Mon-Thurs was more like dinner.
    Many outlets in room. There were only 3 pcs in the business center. If you forget anyting like a razor then they will give you one for free if you ask. They will also go grocery shopping for you for a fee.

The price may seem high but when you factor in the food then you will realize that you are saving money.

Directions: River North

More about Residence Inn Chicago Downtown / River North

Loved this hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member kels0621

After reviewing tripadvisor.com I decided to stay at the Residence Inn/River North. This was a 'girls weekend" trip. We were greeted by bellmen who took our car to vallet parking and helped us with our bags. The staff was very helpful with getting us our room. We had paid for a corner city view room. They asked us if we wanted a higher floor so we could see more. (There are 27 floors) My mom was not thrilled with that idea so we were on the 12th floor. We still had a decent view but could see mostly construction. Upon entering our room we found a small kitchen completely equipped with stove, microwave, full-size ref and a small dishwasher. There was a small dinette set by the window. The room was shaped in the shape of a staple. The bathroom was nice sized with a sink and dressing area separate from the shower and toliet. The bedroom was a kingsize bed. They do not have doubles and a sofa sleeper. It was all very tastefully decorated and you could tell it had just recently been redone. It was quite and the bed was very quite. There were two thermostats in which you could control the temps in the two rooms. The breakfast was a nice offering of sausage, eggs, waffles, french toast, potatoes, oatmeal, cereals, fruit, yogurt, breads, muffins, and MORE! It was raining hard when we left. When our car was brought back the bellmen walked us to our car with umbrellas over our heads and they put our luggage in the car. It is in the heart of it all. Just acrossed the street was "Holly Cow" a Harry Carry steak house. We were two streets over from the Michigan Ave. If you want down about 4 blocks you were right at the Rainforest, Hardrock and Ginos pizza. Also, the double decker bus tour stopped right there. We took this tour and highly recommend it. It was a very nice stay and I would tell you to choose the Residence Inn/River North for your next stay.

Great location!

by TripAdvisor Member redgiraffehead

Right in the heart of downtown, this hotel is within walking distance of tons of sites in Chicago.
The staff was very friendly, and always greeted us warmly.
A breakfast buffet is included in the price of the room and in the evening there was a beer/wine happy hour in the lounge. Loved that!
The room was fantastic. We were upgraded to a one bedroom, and loved the space - for a downtown hotel, we thought it was really large.

Wonderful!

by TripAdvisor Member moo_bear

As a new property, we expected this hotel to be good - but it exceeded our expectations big time! We had a corner studio suite with an amazingly comfortable king bed, plus a sofa bed, which our adult son slept on and found comfortable enough. Additionally, there was a kitchen and a table and loads and loads of windows! We were on the 15th floor and we even had a glimpse of the river! Breakfasts were good and all the staff were extremely friendly. The location was superb. Cannot be faulted!

Good Central Location

by TripAdvisor Member jlnjz

Overall, this was a good hotel and a good location. I include the word "overall" because we did have a couple of issues. This is a great hotel for families with kids or for business travel but do not expect "luxury hotel" services. We love the Marriott line and stay at Marriotts more than any other hotel but we do usually stay at "regular" Marriotts or JW Marriotts so if that is what you're used to just be aware that there is a noticeable difference in the level of service. We booked a 2-bedroom suite for 5 nights for a family of 4.....mom, dad, 2 teenaged boys. I would stay here again when we are traveling with the boys. If it were just for us, I have other favorites in Chicago.

THINGS WE LIKED:

The location is good. Easy access to the "L" which we did use. Central location if you're shopping, site seeing or there on business.

The rooms are spacious and nicely appointed. Good decor and the pictures shown online are accurate.

Free breakfast in the morning

Bathroom....always like to have a sink area that is separate from the toilet and shower and these rooms do have that

Good laundry facility -- 8 or 10 front loading washers and dryers that do a good job for $1.00 per wash and $1.00 per dry

Good fitness center

Free wireless in the rooms that worked well

Nice new flat screen tv's in the living area and bedroom

Loved having the full kitchen

Our rooms had a desk and a kitchen table so there was great workspace

Friendly / helpful staff

THINGS WE DIDN'T LIKE:

location....a huge hotel is being built directly south of the Residence Inn. If you end up on that side of the building, you do not have a cityscape view at all -- the windows are dusty and the view is construction and, if you're high enough, roof tops. Our original 2 bedroom suite had this view and I asked to be moved. The front desk manager was MORE than accommodating

The "living room" furniture looks good but our layout was horrible for watching TV....the chair is comfortable but the "couch" is really not good for sitting on.....although it works well as a sleeper

No mirrors in the living area.....always like to have that in case we are all getting ready at the same time

No room service -- but we knew that going into it and stocked our kitchen. They also do have some snacks/beverages for sale near the front desk

This is a new hotel and the some of the staff is new to hotel work and it shows. I had dealings with 2 different front desk managers -- both named Katie -- who were fabulous but when I checked in the person at the desk couldn't answer what seemed to be basic questions about the hotel/location, the valets never asked if we needed a cab (but cabs were readily available)

The card-keys were a serious problem for us. We went through probably 10 keys....I know, I brought them all home because they say now that you need to destroy them yourself to protect your credit card info.....we were diligent about keeping them away from cell phones, etc but they kept de-magnetizing or something and we had to replace them which meant heading back down the elevator to the front desk.

No pay per view movies or video games. If you bring your own video game system you can hook it up to the tv

TIPS:

If you want a good view while the adjacent construction is going on, request a room that has windows other than on the south side

When we switched rooms the manager showed me some rooms on the Springhill Suites side of the hotel. They have corner king rooms that face north/east and you actually get a glimpse of the river and the lake. The view was great but I liked the decor of the Residence Inn better......the Springhill Suites is very "retro" but I'm of the age group that already lived with that furniture once in my life so to me it just looks old :-)

Parking is $41 day if you valet park but there is a surface lot directly west of the building that is less than $20

Great new hotel in downtown Chicago!

by TripAdvisor Member Trish0928

I went to Chicago for Memorial Day weekend—I was originally going to stay out by O’Hare but I did my shopping and came across a great deal on the Residence Inn in the River North section on Marriott’s website. Since I was dreading hour-plus El trips back and forth and I was planning on spending most of my trip downtown anyway I made the reservations. You’d be hard-pressed to find a more convenient and amenity-laden hotel for the price—it’s just off the Magnificent Mile and the Loop, and an El stop is only a couple of blocks away. The only thing that's weird is that one building contains two hotels--one side is the Residence Inn, the other is SpringHill Suites, both Marriott properties.

This is a brand new (opened in April 2008) all-suites hotel, containing full kitchens, free Internet, flat-screen TVs and gorgeous décor. The hotel offers a free grocery delivery service as well as delivery from local restaurants if you don’t feel like cooking or going out. If you’re a baseball fan the nearest El stop is on the Red line so you have easy access to both Wrigley Field (Cubs) and U.S. Cellular Field (White Sox). And don’t worry about walking around at night—this is a very good area. The staff is excellent and friendly. Eating out around here can be pricey (seriously, people, you know you're going to get ripped off for hotel food, why bother eating it?) so definitely take advantage of the kitchen--there's a Jewel/Osco supermarket right near the El station. If there was any quibble it was that there wasn't a remote printer that you could connect to from your room; you have to use the business center where there's only two workstations, both of which seemed constantly occupied by people spamming each other on Facebook. Nonetheless I would absolutely stay here again and would recommend it to anyone wanting to stay in downtown Chicago who doesn’t want to sell their firstborn to afford a hotel room.

Beautiful Stay!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member Kduffie

This is a brand new Marriott Residence Inn! It's very comtemporary decor, very clean and brand new! Nice location. Not bad walk to Navy Pier. Taxi to/from O'hare was $36/$40. Breakfast is really nice and better than we expected. There are plasma TVs, business/computer/Internet fax area with nice view. All staff was there to help. Door men and Bell staff were on top of our every need...opening doors, hailing a cab, giving suggestions and directions. Beds are comfortable. We were on 12th floor and pretty good view. Did not visit pool area which is on 27th floor. CVS is right on corner around the block not far at all. Can buy things to cook in your suite and beer/liquor and snacks. Beer, juice and snacks are very expensive in Marriott R.I. mini market. $5 for a single bottle of beer and $3.25 for small bottle of Ocean Spray Cran/Grape juice...ouch! This hotel is connected with another Marriott hotel the "Springhill Suites" I think it's called and it's right next door and obviously brand new too! Great cost and location. I highly recommend. We stayed Thursday, July 3 - Saturday, July 5 and got a late check out of 2pm! Regular check out is 12Noon.

Residence Inn was a great find!

by TripAdvisor Member WI_Petmom

We stayed one night at the Residence Inn after calling and receiving a good rate. We have stayed at many hotels in Chicago, and this topped our list. When walking into the hotel it doesn't have a lot of fluff like larger, grander hotels. As for security, at the ground level you go up to the lobby floor and check in. Then you have to take another set of elevators to your floor. The doors to your room is very heavy and seems like security was in the design. The staff is very nice and friendly. Staff even took the time to get a dog traveling with his family a bone. Our room had everything you would want in a room. They had clean silverware, bowls, refrigerator, microwave and other extras. If I had to give a negative it would be that the pool on the smaller side, with a deepest at 4 feet. Don't hesitate as this is a great find in Chicago!

Excellent Hotel-Service is Exceptional!

by TripAdvisor Member Kappy9857

Brand new hotel in a great location-easy walk to Magnificent Mile. This hotel was crowded, but for a good reason. The entire staff was fabulous, very nice and helpful. Great for families as breakfast is included, and there is a nightly reception at about 6pm. Right across from Harry Caray's first class restaurant. Only thing disappointing was on one side of the corner room, the view was of a hotel being constructed. Staff apolologized and gave me extra Marriott Rewards Points. Would DEFINITELY stay there again. Rate I got was $199, which I thought was real good.

Loved it!

by TripAdvisor Member DreamgirlBoston

I booked the hotel through Priceline and got an exceptional deal! The complimentary breakfast is great! They also have social hours in the evening on weekdays and one of the days we were there, they had a band and an open bar!!!
The location is excellent, walking distance to the shopping area. The tourist attractions are nearby too, and you can get a taxi to most of them for under $10.
2 issues: They have only 2 elevators for the 19 story hotel and we had to wait for it most of the times. Parking is $45 a day, but that is expected in a metro city.

Overall, I would highly recomment the hotel to anyone.

Overrated

by TripAdvisor Member travjks

First the positives: the furnishings were nice and comfortable, the fitness room was nice, and the breakfast was fine.

That said, when we arrived there was no one to help us with our bags and we had to lug all of our luggage and car seats up to the second level to check in and then up to our room. More importantly, our room (a studio suite) was tiny. With the pullout couch pulled out, there barely was any room to walk. As a further example of how small and poorly designed the room was, the bathroom door did not have enough swing area and would get stuck on the toilet when we tried to close it. This room would be fine for a person traveling solo, but for a family of four forget it . . . and even the solo travel would likely get claustrophobic.

Bottom line -- overrated.

to hancock towerto hancock tower

"Eye" by Tony Tasset, State & Van Buren"Eye" by Tony Tasset, State & Van Buren

yes I agree!yes I agree!

in the parkin the park

Help with Hotel options

by mariazaragoza

Next August, my sister and I will spend nine days in Chicago. We've already made all the arrangements but the hotel. I don't know why making up our minds is being so complicated for us. We've been able to narrow the selection up to three hotels: Sofitel Water Tower, The Talbott and The James. Our idea is to be as close as posible to the main atractions. Besides, we 're planning to visit as much as possible, antything from museums, architecture and a bit of shopping. When it comes to hotels we look for good service, friendly and helpful staff and location. According to this, which hotel would you choose?.

by xymmot

They are all great hotels, but I favor Sofitel. Having stayed at other Sofitels I have always enjoy their services. It reminds me of W hotels and they are pretty hip too.

by yooperprof

They are all roughly equivalent in terms of location. The James is the closest to Michigan Avenue (where there is a great deal of shopping), but the other two are also only a few blocks away. The Sofitel and the Talbot are the furthest "north" but are still within a reasonable walking distance of the Loop and its attractions.

If you are a particular fan of architecture, you might lean to the Sofitel, which has a very distinctive "wedge-shaped" design and a lobby restaurant called "Cafe des Architectes". Also, the lobby bar "Le Bar" is popular and vibe-y.

by Dabs

In terms of location there's not a lot of difference between the three, they are all close to Michigan Avenue shopping and public transportation options or easy to get cabs if that's your preferred method of transport. None of them are easily walkable to the museum campus or Art Institute, nor would I recommend that you stay south of the River based on your criteria. The James will be about a 1/2 mile closer to Millennium Park, the theater district, State Street shopping and the Loop which does have some very interesting architecture. If I were choosing solely based on location, I'd go with the James but really all three of them are in very nice locations and all appear to get high marks on Trip Advisor.

by mariazaragoza

thank you very much for your information.It's been very helpful and sorry for the delay in my replay but I've been several days off.

Comments