400 E South Water Street, Chicago, Illinois, 60610, United States

Satisfaction Average

More about Chicago

Streets of ChicagoStreets of Chicago

walkingwalking

eating at signature roomeating at signature room

okok

Too stressful with my in-laws - need help!

by annalysis

Does anyone here know about any good place where we, a family of three children and two adults, can find a some place to rent?

We'll be staying in Chicago area for six weeks and I know this will be just too much for everyone. Why we stay sop long is bevause we cannot afford travelling too often, plus that we live overseas.

Now, a few days before the trip I start to hesitate. I feel like not going since I know my mother-in-law is going to throw fits about us, the kids and just be bitter. My father-in-law is very happy to see us though and he wants us all to just enjoy ourselves.

We haven't seen each other in three years and I really don't feel welcome by mother-in-law. She says "of course you can come over" but she doesn't want to. She's bitter and depressed... Their house and place sucks too, an area in the outskirts of Chicago.

by Donna_in_India

You can search www.homeaway.com or www.vrbo.com for places to rent. You may be able to get a discount for staying 6 weeks so be sure to ask about that. Good luck!

by annalysis

Thank you so very much! I'll check these sites right away. :)

by Aloe9678

Good luck! I haven't been to Chicago, but I know there is a ton of stuff to do there. I would Google the Visitor's Bureau or Chamber of Commerce, they might have tips on where to find discounts for the touristy stuff.

The more neutral places you find to meet your in-laws, the better off you might be!

by jumpingwithnorman

You can always try www.expedia.com also for some hotel deals.
If they are on the outskirts of Chicago, try to also check areas around there. T

by jumpingwithnorman

Oops... didn't get to continue my response. Anyway since towns in Chicago are pretty much next door to each other, you might want to check out hotels in neighboring towns also. There's also www.craigslist.org for short term rentals.
It's impt to be comfortable where you're staying but also remember that you're there for your kids and grandpa.

by cwilliamson

Perhaps these will help.

I love Chicago, there is so much to do, here are some helpful links to view and get ideas for where to stay, things to do, kid friendly things to do and places to go. There are festivals, Mideval times, beaches, Navy Pier (a great spot for the whole family) Six flags and more.

I know the feeling of wanting to see people but not spend too much time around them, I really hope these links will help you to enjoy your visit.

Chicago hotels
Cheap http://www.exciting-chicago-vacation.com/cheap-hotels-downtown-Chicago.html
Boutique hotels: http://www.exciting-chicago-vacation.com/chicago-boutique-hotels.html
Gold Coast: http://www.exciting-chicago-vacation.com/Chicago-Gold-Coast-Hotels.html
Things to do: http://www.exciting-chicago-vacation.com/chicago-things-to-do.html
Festivals:
Food: http://www.exciting-chicago-vacation.com/chicago-summer-events-food.html
Music: http://www.exciting-chicago-vacation.com/Chicago-summer-events-music.html
Art: http://www.exciting-chicago-vacation.com/chicago-summer-events-art.html
Six Flags: http://www.exciting-chicago-vacation.com/six-flags-Chicago.html
Chicago Beaches: http://www.exciting-chicago-vacation.com/Chicago-beaches.html
Chicago Kids Style: http://www.exciting-chicago-vacation.com/chicago-kids.html

by gapgrrl227

I found this site EXTREMELY useful when traveling with lots of family.

www.vrbo.com

It's fantastic! Good luck!

Travel Tips for Chicago

ITS PO-LICIOUS!!!

by mjd74

When in Chicago there are many wonderful sights that are unique only to the Windy City.

When in some of the less fortunate areas I highly suggest that you keep your eyes open for some truely cultural elements that will make you smile. When driving down the street I did a double take after seeing this sign. I immediatly stopped my car and ordered a Polish Sausage while explaining to the people working there that it was there signage that made me stop and order from them.

The most important place to...

by Jenna_00

The most important place to take someone would shopping. I have to say they have some of the best shopping around. It's nice and easy to get too. You can walk up and down the magnificient mile and there is probably every kind of store. My best memeory is the first time we went there. We found everything so easily and we were really pleased w/how the trip went.

Movies that have been set in Chicago

by rmdw

My first visit to Chicago was in Feb. 1994. Prior to this all I knew about the city was based on movies set in the city. It's always interesting to compare the perception of a place provided by movies vs. the reality of what it's really like.

If you're thinking about visiting Chicago for the first time consider watching some of the films listed below. Here are my favorite movies set in Chicago:

About Last Night
The Untouchables
While You Were Sleeping

The South Side: Chinatown

by sambarnett

Chinatown centers on Cermak Road (2200 block) and Archer Avenue and extends south to Bridgeport. Its main shopping street, Wentworth Avenue is a feast for the eyes, ears, nose, palate and soul with lots of interesting shops and restaurants. Contemplate freedom of religion while watching Falun Gong exhibitions on the street and catch the Chinese New Year's parade this February 1st. The Cermak/Chinatown stop on the Red Line drops you off in the middle of the action.

Millennium Park - Another Amazing Achievement

by meteorologist1

Chicago's new Millennium Park is another amazing Chicago achievement making into the city's history book. It is now the hottest attraction in town. This large park located in the northern section of Grant Park bordering Michigan and Randolph will amaze you with modern architectural designs, excellent landscaping, amazing art, as well as live music as it has one of the most sophisticated outdoor concert venue of its kind in the U.S. This park should definitely go on your must-see list. Talk about amazing art! "The Bean" (shown in this photo) is a high elliptical and very shiny sculpture that captures a distorted and interesting image of the city skyline. If you are looking to photograph or draw an artistic image of Chicago, this is the place to do it.

Comments