4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Hotels.com Expedia.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 4.5 star hotels

• catsandra777's Profile Photo

Best location to stay

This hotel is very upscale and very modern and sleek. The room is very large and the views from the windows are wonderful. It has a huge office style desk that you'd wish you could have a home. The bed was very confortable and they use fine sheets and down conforter. There are no breakfast but the location is excellent. Bus right across the street and eating a couple blocks down.

Unique Quality: Very sophiscated

• TABULARASAMAN's Profile Photo

CAVEAT!!!

I find it funny that I stay there and every great and wonderful reviews on VT of the Swissotel Chicago was pretty much totally untrue. I looked on other sites and theirs were more like my stay.

They promised me an upgrade....did not happen, the room was not 'clean' (when I went to the front desk and mentioned it politely, the guy said 'sorry' and did nothing about it) and the breakfast in the GENEVA, which has not changed, since last time I was there, was still is an ugly and very expensive experience (although the employees agreed it was poor....they kept my money). Ah yes ...the SWISS experience.

If I only stayed at 'off the beaten path' motels, never stayed any where else in Chicago and never stayed at a hotel over 3 stars, this place would appear fabulous.

It is not.

There are far better hotels close to Swissotel at a better price with great views.

Directions: Going south on Michigan Ave, turn left on Wacker about 2 streets.

• Callavetta's Profile Photo

Wonderful Views

We chose the Swissotel for our New Years Eve getaway because it seemed to be our best bet for having a view of Navy Pier, where the fireworks would be set off at the magic hour. I knew it was going to be cold and I know I'm seldom actually out of bed at midnight. So fireworks from my warm cozy bed..... seems ideal!

The hotel is located at the end of the river, right where Upper Wacker ends and the lake starts. Our check in was a great experience. Previously we stayed a block away at the Hyatt and it was a bit like checking into Disneyland; crowds everwhere and escalators, corridors, elevator banks, hallways, and multiple staff to work with to find our room. The Swisshotel was completely the opposite. The valet parking staff opened the car door for us and guided us into the lobby. No line in the lobby and the desk clerk greeted us with a friendly welcome. The lobby itself was beautifully decorated for Christmas and the lobby lounge has comfy seats and a warming fireplace. A couple sitting in front of the fire was just served wine in the most beautiful wine glasses I've seen in awhile. It made me want a glass of wine!

First look at our room did not disappoint! The view of Navy Pier, lit up brightly, just after dark, was exactly what I had hoped for. We had two double beds, luxurious in the best linens and mattresses that make you feel like you never want to get up. A comfy easy chair in front of the window, and a nice desk area. A flat screen TV, modern lamps and some Chicago photos provide nice touches.

The bathroom is great; tile, soaking tub, separate shower with rain shower head, and nice amenities (even a scale!).

So with all this luxury, why did the hotel fall slightly short? I have complained about this before. Why do the most expensive hotels always charge for things like wi-fi ($9.95 for 24 hours and I've got work email to check), parking $49 per day!, and don't get me started on the minibar, $4.00 for a Snickers bar and an 18% restocking fee? Room service prices are so over the top with a pot of coffee costing $20, plus a 20% service charge and a $3.00 delivery fee (question: do we still tip the delivery guy?). I feel nickle and dimed.

Then we had the midnight monster. Some idiot was banging on a nearby room door and incessently ringing the bell and shouting "let me in, Godd*mmit!" for a good 15 minutes. He was kicking and yelling and shouting and swearing. I called downstairs and asked them to send someone up but am not sure that they ever did.

Second small complaint, several times when I tried to call the lobby or room service I got busy signals or no answer. OK, I know you're busy, but you need to get more staff. When I did get through to room service, through the front line, the room service operator was very polite and accommodating.

Unique Quality: If you go for the lake view rooms you definitely do get one of the best views in Chicago.

• bryINpoland's Profile Photo

Chicago Swiss

The Swissotel is situated right off the Chicago River, on Wacker Drive, just 4 blocks from theMagnificent Mile.The hotel puts you right in the middle of the Chicago Loop, and Michigan Ave, putting all the main attractions in easy walking distance for even lazy walkers like me.

The hotel also provides guest with great views of Chicago, from any room in the hotel. We stayed on the south side facing beautiful Grant park, and Michigan Lake right out our window. From the north side of the hotel, u are treated with views of Navy pier and North Michigan Ave.

The hotel provides great dining with 2 on sight restaurants, and also a great cocktail lounge in the lobby.

For all the Swissotel has to offer, visit the following link SWISSOTEL

*Please feel free to rate this tip, or any of my other tips. I am always looking to Improve. Thank u...

Unique Quality: One of the great highlights of th hotel was its penthouse spa. located on the 41st floor, it provides aerobic machines, strenth equipment, sauna, whirlpool and a 45ft. heated swimming pool.

You cant beat swimming in a heated pool while you watch snow flurries coming down over th chicago skyline...

Directions: Located on 323 East Wacker Drive, a block east of Columbus Drive. Nearest train stop is State/Lake station on Lake street.

• Etoile2B's Profile Photo

Luxury Lakefront Accommodations

The Swissotel is a very nice hotel in the heart of Chicago. Although it's a little farther off Michigan than some of the other hotels (read a couple blocks) it's worth it. The hotel has been ranked as one of the Top 500 in the World by Travel & Leisure magazine. The guest rooms afford nice views of the city and lake.

Unique Quality: It stands out in the Chicago skyline due to it's triangular shape. The rooms are unique and modern and the gym is outstanding. They feature a nice indoor, heated pool and jacuzzi on the 42nd floor.

Directions: "Where The River Meets The Lake"

• kim83_50158's Profile Photo

The Swiss really know their stuff!

The Swissotel is an excellent hotel! The Swissotel has this really unique quality in making you feel right at home! And the rooms are roomy and comfortable. Around Christmas time, the lobby is decorated gorgeously!! I highly recommend the hotel--it's a nice break from downtown Chicago, because it's quiet and just very homey. I love it!

Unique Quality: The first thing I always remember was that we had a really cool bathroom! :-) We had a phone in there actually. But the bathroom and closet were both HUGE!! And for 4 girls getting ready at the same time all the time, that's a great quality.

We also had an incredible view of the Navy Pier while it was snowing. We also had a pretty good view of the Lake. It was better than only being able to look into the next building. ;-)

I highly recommend Swissotel! I'll get some pictures for you sometime soon hopefully!

Directions: On Wacker, a block or so away from the Hyatt (towards the lake). The Swissotel is a triangular building so once you get there it stands out.

• shrimp56's Profile Photo

Swiss efficiency with a view!

A modern hotel in a glass walled building with great views of the lake and the city. The rooms are very comfortable, but the decor is a bit blah. The service is precise, but not always flexible when there is a problem.

Unique Quality: There is an exercise center/spa/pool on the top floor with spectacular views. Sometimes you can get a weekend special that includes this amenity.

• yooperprof's Profile Photo

Comfort in the Loop

The Swisshotel is a fairly luxurious place, but the emphasis is on comfort and service, not on glitz. It's primarily a businessman's hotel, there aren't a lot of snazzy facilities on the site, but it is close to everything in the Loop and up Michigan Avenue, and since it's at the end of Wacker Drive, it's actually fairly quiet. Expensive - yes, but there are some great discount rates through the usual sources.

Unique Quality: The Hotel is ingeniously designed in an intriguing wedge shape, and the rooms are situated so that every one faces either Lake Michigan or the Chicago River. The swimming pool and exercise facilities are on the 43rd floor, with views that are pretty spectacular.

• Texapina's Profile Photo

the Suissotel, along the river

the Suissotel, along the river
    for government travelers, this is the per diem rate (about $130-140).

For regular visitors, it's a bit higher... check the Suissotel website for current rates.

Unique Quality: convenient to the good shopping areas & also to the river; wonderful service (I even got directions to the nearest Catholic church); Lindt chocolates at the front desk; an underground tunnel that connects the hotel to the Hyatt & other area buildings (great when your business conference is at the Hyatt and it's cold & windy outside...); wonderful plush bathrobes in your room...

• mssly's Profile Photo

If money is no object, go...

If money is no object, go ahead and stay at the Swissotel, right on the river. At the moment, getting there via car was a pain due to construction on Wacker Drive. It sort of felt like 'Charlie on the MTA' (Kingston Trio, 1960's---I'm old) because you could see places but getting to them was another thing entirely. $$$$ imported staff. If I were paying for the trip, I'd probably stay atthe new hostel on the corner of WABASH AND CONGRESS.
    Beats me, but the room we were in cost $275 per night. We three generations of girls shared one king bed. Our window looked out on Metro Golf. The river side windows gave a perfect view of Navy Pier.

More about Swissotel Chicago

Parking around swissotel

by srob1977

We will be traveling up to Chicago and are staying at the swissotel. I was wondering if anyone could give recommendations on cheap parking. I would not be opposed to taking the cta down to the hotel, and parking at remote location. It seems like every year we go up to chicago to watch the cubs play and the parking for our stay around the downtown hotels area eats our wallet for lunch. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Comments