The Avenue Hotel Chicago

Family Travel Business Travel Architecture
See Amenities

Great downtown Chicago Hotel

by written on April 8, 2012

This was our second time back to Chicago's Avenue Hotel. It was just as great as the first visit. Benjamin at the front desk was great. Checked us in quickly and offered a lot of helpful advice about Chicago. The rooms were very nice too. Modern, clean and obviously well cared for. Beds were really comfortable and we didn't hear any noise that kept us from enjoying our stay at The Avenue Hotel Crowne Plaza.

Unique Quality: Great location in downtown Chicago. The rooms at the Avenue Hotel are very spacious and modern. They have themed rooms too.

Great Hotel in Downtown Chicago

by written on March 6, 2011

I go to Chicago quite often due to business and honestly, I’m not always inspired to write a review. Sometimes the hotels are just beds and showers and a place to stay for a night or two..nothing outstanding. But this trip was different. Based on a recommendation from one of my co-workers I stayed at The Avenue Hotel, which is a Crowne Plaza for all those people that care about points (my company keeps mine so I generally don’t care brand or not brand..points or not points). This hotel was a welcome surprise to say the least. Granted based on the reviews, a lot of people feel the same way so perhaps I’m just here to support it!
In summary:
Parking: Don’t drive in Chicago…come on. But if you do, expect to pay the going rate is usually around $40-$50 in downtown. (I was just in Washington DC and paid $60!)
Check in/Front Desk: I asked for an early check in and fortunately I was able to be accommodated. The front desk agents were very nice and took the time to answer my questions and never once did I feel “rushed along”.
Room: I was in the tech room with a great view of the city. The internet connection was really fast, never dropped like so many do. The room was large, I could easily spread my work out and not feel cramped. Ipod docking station, flat screen tv all there.
Bathroom: The shower was awesome with one of those large rain showerheads, felt like I was at a spa! Nicely updated with granite and you could use the products without smelling like a perfumed flower (can’t stand that).
Room Service: This was my only opportunity to eat at the hotel due to my schedule. Ordered breakfast and it arrived within 25 minutes as they promised me. The coffee, eggs and toast were hot (I didn’t have an elaborate breakfast even though it was available). The food was good and I felt value in the price I paid.

Overall the hotel team really made me feel like I was a welcomed guest, always smiling and saying hello. They weren’t burying their face and avoiding eye contact of guests. I felt comfortable there and it wasn’t a stale hotel environment where you are purely just a dollar sign. Thank you for that, I’ll be back.

Unique Quality: Roofttop pool
Great city and lake views
Convenient location in downtown Chicago

Directions: Downtown Chicago near Navy Pier and shopping

Business and Family Hotel in Downtown Chicago

by written on October 2, 2010

What a great stay at the Avenue Hotel in Chicago. I was there a week and the whole trip couldn't have gone smoother. I attended a business seminar that lasted most of the time and then had my wife and kids come in to spend the weekend with me. The meeting rooms were very comfortable, no wierd temperature issues that you always seem to have in hotel meeting rooms. The chairs were kind to your backside if you know what I mean. Only thing that would have been better is if we could have had those cool zebra chairs in the meeting room! The banquet food was really good, all fresh - I didn't feel like I was eating something that was poured out of a can. Our banquet manager checked in with us often and was very accomdating with all of our last minute requests. It was almost like they new I'd forget about a bunch of stuff. The check in at the front desk was flawless, my billing was perfect. All of my team was happy when they left, no complaints and if you knew my team you'd know how weird that is! When the family arrived, the conceirges gave us a list and directions of everything we could do in the area and they were spot on with every suggestion. I was booked in one of the one bedroom condo rooms, very nice. Updated, equipped with everything you would need for a comfortable stay. I had heard about the themed rooms, but I didn't book one. Will have to next time! Avenue Hotel is a great location, no need to drive as you can walk or take a taxi to anything you need. Those silly people that come to this city and think they need a car...why??? Thank you to all of the wonderful staff at Crowne Plaza Avenue Hotel for making my business and family trip a real positive experience.

Unique Quality: Great location, large and updated rooms, comfortable meeting space and awesome food and service

Great Business Trip to Avenue Hotel, Chicago

by written on November 22, 2009

The Avenue Hotel is a great business hotel with an unbeatable location and great amenities. The rooms were top-notch and everything about my visit went smoothly.
The hotel is a short walk to the Magnificent Mile and all the shops and restaurants you could want. If not for my business trip and more personal time was available it would have been ideal. I must make a point of making it back here for a more relaxing trip in the near future.

My room was clean, comfortable and had a great view. The amenities were great and the bed was unbelieveable. I don’t remember ever having such a good night’s sleep in a hotel much less on a business trip. The staff at the Avenue hotel were wonderful. From the front desk staff to the bellmen, guest services and housekeeping, the entire crew went out of their way to assist with plans both inside and outside of the hotel, and the hotel bar and its wait staff are experts at serving business groups -- attentive but not overbearing.

In general, my stay at the Avenue Hotel was exceptionally smooth and productive. Our business meetings went smoothly, the rooms themselves were comfortable and had all the up to date equipment for presentations. I would recommend this hotel to any business group, but also to any tourist looking for a hotel convenient to many popular downtown Chicago spots!

Unique Quality: Location is unbeatable and the bed is out of this world!

FAN OF THE AVENUE HOTEL IN CHICAGO

by written on September 22, 2009

I travel to Chicago twice a year for business and have chosen the Avenue Hotel for the past four trips. Coming from San Francisco my standards are high and I find the Avenue offers several major pluses. First, its location to the Magnificent Mile can’t be beat. Second, the upgraded room that I received on two of my last four visits was large by Chicago standard and has all the amenities that a business traveler or serious shopper expects of a first class hotel. The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was also very nice and incredibly clean. My wakeup calls were delivered on time and with a friendly voice. Staff at the Avenue Hotel is friendly, accommodating and well trained in customer service. Third, with rooms located on the higher floors the view is incredible. I didn't try the health club, which has drawn a few negative comments on this website, but it looked completely acceptable. Overall I am a fan of this hotel and plan to return again.

Unique Quality: Great location. Beautiful city view from the pool. Sky Lounge on 40th floor.

Directions: Steps from Magnificent Mile

FAN OF THE AVENUE HOTEL IN CHICAGO

by written on September 22, 2009

Directions: Steps from Magnificent Mile

One of Chicago's Best Hotels

by written on January 19, 2007

A great spot in Magnificent Mile that's puts you close to shopping and restaurants. I'd recommend this hotel due to its big rooms and convenient spot.

Unique Quality: Everyone gets a good view because all guests rooms are above the 13th floor

Directions: Magnificent Mile

• Pets Allowed
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

Chicago Travel Forum

Need advice about Chicago, Illinois? Visit the Travel Forum for Chicago and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Chicago hotel reviews

Excellent (4.5 out of 5.0) 7 Reviews
Chicago South Loop Hotel
Best (5.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review

Explore Deeper into Chicago
Willis Tower (Formerly Sears Tower)
Navy Pier
Field Museum of Natural History
O'Hare International Airport
Art Institute
Shedd Aquarium
Things to Do
Greyhound/Megabus (U.S. bus system)
Taxis
Transportation
Amtrak (U.S. train network)
Driving/Parking