The Blackstone Hotel

The Blackstone A Renaissance Hotel
Orbitz.com Expedia.com Booking.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4.5 star hotels

• Blackstone Hotel - Chicago

Just a note to fellow travelers. I gave this comment to the hotel when they asked me. It must have gotten thrown out since someone sent me a note asking how my stay was a few weeks later. I included my name both times so they knew who it was from. Here it is: "I had checked the web for reviews and noticed some late arrivers didn't get their room choice of 2 queen beds. I wanted to stay at your hotel to show my kids an older hotel can be very nice and have some interested history associated with it. I called the hotel directly for my reservation to ensure I would get a room with 2 queen beds for my family. I remember the reservation clerk saying something about the system not being able to discern queen or king rooms, but I’m not sure exactly what she said, but there was some issue. Regardless I felt assured that I would get a queen room and paid extra to get one with a view. Checking in early around noon time I was surprised to not have a room." She did offer a King room, but soon realized with 2 pullouts we would exceed room capicity. "Being 4 of us in our party, I asked for 2 king rooms. I was told the hotel was overbooked and that was not possible. I felt like the clerk just wanted me to go away. I wasn't offered to find a room at a nearby hotel. I wasn't offered any assistance or choices. I insisted to talk to a manager. Not being able to find a manager, she offered me a room with 2 queen beds, but no view. Fine: Problem solved. I could live with that. But, I still paid the "view" price and I bet someone else checking in later that day didn't get their room. A hotel of this sophistication should be able to determine through their system if queen or king rooms will be available. Every other hotel has this figured out." So I still haven't heard from them. I don't think they care. I'm also willing to bet they still don't have it figured out. Marriott has a black eye from this reoccurring issue. And the bathrooms do have a funky door; don’t expect privacy if you poop. Otherwise we had a nice time and wouldn't mind staying there again. Parking around the corner was easy and much cheaper than other locations.

Directions: Very convenient to the Art Institute.

• GOOD, BUT COULD BE A LOT BETTER

I am a mature traveller, and I have stayed at excellent hotels in every area of the country. I selected the Blackstone for its history and unique location, expecting an outstanding hotel.

The good news is that the king room was very nicely appointed; bathroom was particularly nice. The location of the hotel, frankly, can't be beat. This trip was a long weekend get away for us, and the Blackstone is easy walking distance from all major museums, parks, and shops.

The bad news is that this is not a 4+ star hotel, as advertised. At best it is a 3-3.5, and definitely no better than a 3 on our stay.

Compared to outstanding hotels, there were issues in every major service area: staff, room, cleanliness and maintenance. The staff is congenial, but very, very young -- not outgoing or gracious, and not very knowledgable. In terms of our room, we were actually assigned a room that overlooked the HVAC and a dark air shaft upon check in -- which is almost inexcusable, unless you are a very late check in and the hotel is booked. I demanded another room, and got one. (Our bags were moved and in the new room when we returned from a late lunch.) But-- the bathroom in the new room had long, black hairs on the floor, and one in the sink. Pretty gross. But I was tired of room issues, so I cleaned it myself. The room was small (although the bathroom was not), and that would have been OK, but the lounge chair was extremely uncomfortable, and the king bed had lumpy areas. I called maintenance in the chair, and they promptly brought a new one -- which was merely somewhat uncomfortable. But I was not happy about having to search for a comfortable place on the mattress -- I stay in high end hotels precisely so I do not have this kind of issue with my middle-aged back.
    Finally, the lobby carpets were dirty and somewhat shabby -- which, coupled with the room furnishing issues, tends to indicate a hotel that may have maintenance problems.

On balance, I would stay at the Blackstone again. If you are prepared to demand that the hotel live up to its reputation, it can and probably will. With its oustanding location and such a beautiful building however, it should not be necessary to demand that which should be a given in an outstanding hotel. Hopefully, hotel management will get with it.

Unique Quality: Location, location, location. Very close to Chicago Art Institute, Field Museum, Grant Park, Millenium Park, Magnificent Mile shopping, the Loop. Outstanding diner at 11th and Wabash. The Gage has the most magnificent burger this side of the Capital Grille -- at a great price.

• Blackstone Chicago is a Dive

I can tell you that the staff at this hotel is completely incompetent. I had stayed previously and was not impressed with the place but mistakenly decided to book again. When my plans changed and I had to move the reservation out, their system goofed and never moved the reservation. They charged a cancel fee and actually had the nerve to say they deserved it. I spoke to thier head bean counter, some rude guy named Oscar, who was totally useless. He couldn't even look up the reservation and told me that I owed payment since they held a room. When I explained that their system goofed, he couldn't comprehend it. When I spoke with their manager, he was an idiot too! Simple fact is I just disputed the charge, and now they are the people stuck. I will NEVER return to their hotel and make damn sure no one else is treated how I was treated. BTW, I didn't ave to pay the charges since VISA is way bigger than these morons.

Unique Quality: DO NOT STAY HERE!!!

Directions: Avoid the Blackstone... you will be very dissapointed.

More about The Blackstone Hotel

Wonderful Stay!

by TripAdvisor Member italybound01

Just returned from a four night stay at the Blackstone Hotel in Chicago and had a wonderful stay.

I called the hotel a few days before arriving and asked if I was able to take the "El" (subway/train) to the hotel. The concierge told me that I can take the Blue Line from O'Hare airport to the Jackson station and grab a cab and it would only be a few minutes from there. If you don't have too much luggage, you can easily switch to the Red Line at Jackson and take one stop to Harrison and the hotel is only a couple of blocks away. Train tickets only cost $2 a person so it can be a very cheap way to get to the hotel. The train ride will take close to an hour. Once you get out of the Harrison stop, just look up at the skyline. It is very easy to landmark the hotel with its red exterior and distinctive green top. The hotel is located on the corner of S Michigan Avenue and Balbo.

As many have noted, staff are very friendly and greet you as you enter and exit the hotel. Check in was quick and we were given a room on the 17th floor with views of Soldier Field, the Field Museum, Shredd Aquarium and Adler Planetarium.

The hotel throughout is beautifully and tastefully decorated. I particularly liked that the room had a little collection of books on Chicago. I thought it was a nice touch. The alarm clocks also had an ipod dock so you could listen to your ipod in the room. There is a coffee maker in the room and a Starbucks downstairs so there was no problems getting your morning caffeine.

We were in town just in time for Taste of Chicago and it took place in Grant park so we were literally across the street from all the action. It was an easy walk to many of the cities attractions. We walked all the way down through Grant Park, Millenium Park, to Navy Pier, through the Magnificent Mile and to the Hancock Building.

Everything exceeded expections except for Housekeeping. They provided lush and comfy bathrobes and I wanted some slippers so I called for some only to be told they were out. Daily housekeeping I found was inconsistent and didn't go as good as a job as I would have liked. But that is a minor complaint.

Overall this was a wonderful hotel and I would highly recommend.

Very pleased--location, non-smoking, new refurb, etc . . .

by TripAdvisor Member mbavery2007

Thrilled with location--only about 2 blocks from the Red line. Being on the back of the hotel (17th floor) the noise from the El was noticeable. Had the noise been constant it would have drifted into the background and been more white noise than anything. In fact it almost sounded like the ocean. But since the noise came and went with each train it seemed to stand out a little. I usually travel with a portable fan but didn't this time. Had I had it on, I wouldn't have been bothered by the El noise. This wouldn't prevent me from staying here again--I'd just be sure to bring my fan.

Room was confortable, if a tiny bit small. The large bathroom and tiled foyer in the room made up for it. Decor in the room was excellent.

The walk-in shower had a glass wall separating it from the rest of the bathroom. The wall wasn't long enough as a little water pooled on the floor.

Getting back to our room one day at about 5:00pm discovered that the room hadn't been straightened up yet. After a quick call to the front desk, they apologized and sent someone up while we were out at dinner. Really was a non-issue for us but wanted to mention it as example of how quickly the hotel staff responded.

Didn't eat on property as prices seemed excessive. Prefer to eat in the local/family run places anyway.

Would recommend this hotel to friends.

Beautiful and friendly

by TripAdvisor Member iteliancajun

The hotel is beautifully elegant, traditional yet contemporary. Staff greets you at the door upon entry and exit, very helpful and accomodating. My room was immaculately kept, room service responsive even thought it was a very busy week for downtown hotels. My only regret is that my wife was not there to share it with me. I had a great view of the lake and parks across the street and enjoyed one night of fireworks from the 21st floor. I did not eat in the restaraunt, I opted for the Hilton across the street but wish I had tried it. The only thing lacking was shuttle transportation to McCormick Place but the HIlton provided that. You will not be disappointed with your stay, I highly recommend it.

David Gulotta, New Iberia Louisiana

Expensive but wonderful

by TripAdvisor Member lbmore

I stayed at the Blackstone for a work related event. It was really beautiful. Very nicely restored. If you can, try for the Lake View rooms. I had one and had an incredible view of Lake Michigan and the Navy Pier. There are fire works at Navy Pier on Wed and Sat and I got a great view of them from my window. The staff was 100% helpful to me. Definitely recommend it, especially if it's a business expense!

Furnishings and location were nice, service was not

by TripAdvisor Member prairiemom

They screwed up our reservation. Instead of a "deluxe lakeview room" we got a view of a brick wall on the street. The front desk clerk blamed it on Expedia. I've never had any hotel complain about Expedia before. WHen I called Expedia they tried to take control of the situation, but the hotel was uncooperative, even though the hotel had faxed Expedia a signed confirmation of the room type, according to Expedia. Manager Kate was a cold fish. She said that the Blackstone did not guarantee the room type. I pointed out that I had paid $50 more to get the view. She didn't offer any solution. I said I’d take the lesser room for the usual price. She emitted heavy sighs and said she’d call Expedia. I called Expedia 30 minutes later but Kate had not called them. I decided not to ruin the day and gave up. Upon checkout, the manager (nice black guy, didn't catch his name) called Expedia and confirmed that the charges had been reduced. Other problems: a clerk took our wakeup call request, but someone called at 6:30 instead of 9:30 (on Sunday!). I never got back to sleep because of all the sirens and street noise. The shower door was clear and the bathroom door was semi opaque glass, so you might not want to share this room with someone unless you are good friends. Beds were comfy for one but not for 2 people. Decor was pretty posh but more contemporary corporate than homey. Parking was $46. The valet guys were very nice. The location was perfect for Taste of Chicago.

You will definitely like the Blackstone

by TripAdvisor Member ericsteff

I just finished a four night stay at the Blackstone and just thought it was great. The remodel came out great, the room was very large and the staff couldn't have been friendlier.

I searched a number of places before deciding on the Blackstone and it is close to a 5 star hotel but at a much better price.

The new lounge and restaurant on site are also excellent. The restaurant seems to be a hot spot for locals, probably because it's new and has received good reviews, and that just makes the whole experience that much better.

I stayed with my brother and father (Cubs weekend) and we ended up with a room with two queen beds - which, as it turns out, means the room is even larger (huge, even) and the roll-away didn't make any difference. The room was great and my dad thought it was a suite it was so big.

Can't say enough good things. I'm sure people can have bad experiences (just like any hotel) but the Blackstone itself is definitely a good call.

Comments