The Blackstone Hotel

See Hotels with Lower Price

Blackstone Hotel - Chicago

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on December 13, 2009

Just a note to fellow travelers. I gave this comment to the hotel when they asked me. It must have gotten thrown out since someone sent me a note asking how my stay was a few weeks later. I included my name both times so they knew who it was from. Here it is: "I had checked the web for reviews and noticed some late arrivers didn't get their room choice of 2 queen beds. I wanted to stay at your hotel to show my kids an older hotel can be very nice and have some interested history associated with it. I called the hotel directly for my reservation to ensure I would get a room with 2 queen beds for my family. I remember the reservation clerk saying something about the system not being able to discern queen or king rooms, but I’m not sure exactly what she said, but there was some issue. Regardless I felt assured that I would get a queen room and paid extra to get one with a view. Checking in early around noon time I was surprised to not have a room." She did offer a King room, but soon realized with 2 pullouts we would exceed room capicity. "Being 4 of us in our party, I asked for 2 king rooms. I was told the hotel was overbooked and that was not possible. I felt like the clerk just wanted me to go away. I wasn't offered to find a room at a nearby hotel. I wasn't offered any assistance or choices. I insisted to talk to a manager. Not being able to find a manager, she offered me a room with 2 queen beds, but no view. Fine: Problem solved. I could live with that. But, I still paid the "view" price and I bet someone else checking in later that day didn't get their room. A hotel of this sophistication should be able to determine through their system if queen or king rooms will be available. Every other hotel has this figured out." So I still haven't heard from them. I don't think they care. I'm also willing to bet they still don't have it figured out. Marriott has a black eye from this reoccurring issue. And the bathrooms do have a funky door; don’t expect privacy if you poop. Otherwise we had a nice time and wouldn't mind staying there again. Parking around the corner was easy and much cheaper than other locations.

Directions: Very convenient to the Art Institute.

GOOD, BUT COULD BE A LOT BETTER

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 16, 2009

I am a mature traveller, and I have stayed at excellent hotels in every area of the country. I selected the Blackstone for its history and unique location, expecting an outstanding hotel.

The good news is that the king room was very nicely appointed; bathroom was particularly nice. The location of the hotel, frankly, can't be beat. This trip was a long weekend get away for us, and the Blackstone is easy walking distance from all major museums, parks, and shops.

The bad news is that this is not a 4+ star hotel, as advertised. At best it is a 3-3.5, and definitely no better than a 3 on our stay.

Compared to outstanding hotels, there were issues in every major service area: staff, room, cleanliness and maintenance. The staff is congenial, but very, very young -- not outgoing or gracious, and not very knowledgable. In terms of our room, we were actually assigned a room that overlooked the HVAC and a dark air shaft upon check in -- which is almost inexcusable, unless you are a very late check in and the hotel is booked. I demanded another room, and got one. (Our bags were moved and in the new room when we returned from a late lunch.) But-- the bathroom in the new room had long, black hairs on the floor, and one in the sink. Pretty gross. But I was tired of room issues, so I cleaned it myself. The room was small (although the bathroom was not), and that would have been OK, but the lounge chair was extremely uncomfortable, and the king bed had lumpy areas. I called maintenance in the chair, and they promptly brought a new one -- which was merely somewhat uncomfortable. But I was not happy about having to search for a comfortable place on the mattress -- I stay in high end hotels precisely so I do not have this kind of issue with my middle-aged back.
Finally, the lobby carpets were dirty and somewhat shabby -- which, coupled with the room furnishing issues, tends to indicate a hotel that may have maintenance problems.

On balance, I would stay at the Blackstone again. If you are prepared to demand that the hotel live up to its reputation, it can and probably will. With its oustanding location and such a beautiful building however, it should not be necessary to demand that which should be a given in an outstanding hotel. Hopefully, hotel management will get with it.

Unique Quality: Location, location, location. Very close to Chicago Art Institute, Field Museum, Grant Park, Millenium Park, Magnificent Mile shopping, the Loop. Outstanding diner at 11th and Wabash. The Gage has the most magnificent burger this side of the Capital Grille -- at a great price.

Blackstone Chicago is a Dive

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 30, 2009

I can tell you that the staff at this hotel is completely incompetent. I had stayed previously and was not impressed with the place but mistakenly decided to book again. When my plans changed and I had to move the reservation out, their system goofed and never moved the reservation. They charged a cancel fee and actually had the nerve to say they deserved it. I spoke to thier head bean counter, some rude guy named Oscar, who was totally useless. He couldn't even look up the reservation and told me that I owed payment since they held a room. When I explained that their system goofed, he couldn't comprehend it. When I spoke with their manager, he was an idiot too! Simple fact is I just disputed the charge, and now they are the people stuck. I will NEVER return to their hotel and make damn sure no one else is treated how I was treated. BTW, I didn't ave to pay the charges since VISA is way bigger than these morons.

Unique Quality: DO NOT STAY HERE!!!

Directions: Avoid the Blackstone... you will be very dissapointed.

Nearby The Blackstone Hotel

• Pets Allowed
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

Chicago Travel Forum

Need advice about Chicago, Illinois? Visit the Travel Forum for Chicago and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Chicago hotel reviews

Excellent (4.5 out of 5.0) 3 Reviews
Marriott Chicago Downtown Magnificent Mile
Excellent (4.5 out of 5.0) 7 Reviews

Explore Deeper into Chicago
Willis Tower (Formerly Sears Tower)
Millennium Park
Shedd Aquarium
Field Museum of Natural History
Art Institute
Trolleys (some are FREE)
Lake Michigan & Lincoln Park
Things to Do
Greyhound/Megabus (U.S. bus system)
Driving/Parking
Transportation
Amtrak (U.S. train network)
Taxis