The Fairmont Chicago

Fairmont Chicago Millennium Park
Booking.com Hotels.com Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

Luxury This Time

When I found out that rozehill [Rosie] would be in Chicago, my husband Allan suggested that Rosie and I should spend two nights in Chicago. One morning shortly after exploring possible hotels, Allan booked for us the Fairmont Chicago. He knew of its excellent location, superb service, and quality rooms; thus, he felt it would be perfect for us.
    I had no idea until Rosie and I arrived on October 8th that he had selected a suite instead of a room! When Rosie and I walked in, we were speechless.

This suite had a HUGE living room with a large window overlooking Millennium Park and a view of the lake. There was also a small dining area with a window with a similar view. In addition, there was a gigantic bedroom with two beds with a third terrific view, which included a glimpse of Navy Pier. The bathroom was lovely with both a tub and a separate shower. Outside the bathroom was an area for makeup and a walk-in closet.

There were two flat-screen TV's [one in the living room and one in the bedroom]. We certainly enjoyed the fluffy white robes that were provided. But we had a good chuckle about the three phones because one was in the bathroom! We had to immediately call Allan to thank him for his good taste.

Unique Quality: We were even more surprised with the fact that a full American breakfast was included with the room. It was our choice to select the breakfast buffet [described in restaurant tip].

The photographs show how wonderful this room and hotel were:

Photo #1 Our bedroom with two beds, fantastic view, and lovely furniture.

Photo #2 The small dining area with another great view.

Photo #3 The shower with the fluffy white towels.

Photo #4 Dee on the couch pointing to the outstanding view of the park and the lake.

Photo #5 The living room area.

This hotel and this grand suite were one of the highlights of our two-day stay in Chicago; both Rosie and I still marvel at its luxury, beauty, and ambience.

Inside our Lovely Room at

For our 45th Wedding Anniversary, Allan and I chose the Fairmont Hotel for its location, its reputation, and the terrific "deal" that we received via their web page. The room that we stayed in was regularly $398.00, but we paid $179.00. The room was classified as the King Sized Bed Room with Views of Park and Lake. What a deal it was. The photographs speak for the room:

1. This first photograph shows the king-sized bed with its plush linens and beautiful and artistic headboard.

2. The room [all of their rooms] have the 42 inch flat-screened TV on the cabinet that holds the refrigerator.

3. The bathroom was excellent. There is a soaking tub and a seperate shower stall as well as a seperate water closet.

4. Allan loved the sink and the magnifying mirrow that lights up.

5. What really sold us on this hotel [besides it's perfect location] was the view from our large window of Millinnium Park, Grant Park, and the lake.

Unique Quality: Our room also had two chairs beneath the large window with a table for a conversation area. The closet was big, and there was a safe to store valuables in that closet. We also enjoyed the windows that can be opened. So many hotels have windows that cannot be opened. On beautiful summer nights like the ones we spent there, it was a delight to open them [don't worry, they are not the kind of windows that someone could fall out of.

On the first night of our stay, when we came in about ten, there was a porcelain tray with two huge dark chocolate covered strawberries, a dark chocolate covered apricot, and a small bowl of dark chocolate covered coffee beans. We were quite surprised and really appreciated this lovely gesture.

The bed was sheer pleasure with its elegant linens (pillowtop bed)and beautiful design. Note: if you are allergic to down feathers as I am, you need to ask for non-allergic pillows, which I did, and they arrived immediately.

They also have free WIFl, IPod Station, and the room is non-smoking.

We will gladly use the Fairmont Chicago Hotel again.

Excellent Location

The Fairmont Chicago is so wonderful, especially the location. It is worth paying a few more dollars to enjoy the scenery, the service, and the amenities.

This hotel is less than a block from one of my favorite places, Millennium Park; a few blocks further is Grant Park; a few blocks the other way, we could enjoy Navy Pier, the Chicago River, and Michigan Avenue. It is surrounded by excellent restaurants, museums, and terrific architecture. It is within waling distance of the Art Institue, Field Museum, Chicago's Lakefront, Chicago's theaters, the business district, and many nightclubs.

When we would come from the famed Michigan Avenue, we had to walk beside beautiful plazas with flowers, statues, and water elements. It provided a tranquil setting to look forward to on each adventure.

The first impression of the hotel comes with the entrance with its automatic turn style; quite convenient when you have luggage. The staff greets you outside the entrance, leaving a positive impression from the "get go". Photo #1

I also really love the look of the Fairmont's logo, which exudes luxury and quality. Photo#3

Once you walk inside, you see the dramatic lights that lead to the check-in desk.Photo#2 The people behind that desk go out of the way to help. They always come up with a solution to any problem that is presented.

Inside this fine hotel there are many fine details from the keen elevators, the brass railings on the steps Photo #4, the center "cage" for breakfast eating in the mornings and wine tasting in the evenings.

And, as my previous tips says, the individual rooms are just heavenly.

Once inside

Unique Quality: I love the combination of elegance of old world classic hotels with contemporary decor and service.

There is a new Club Lounge that has sweeping views of downtown Chicago. They also offer complimentary chauffeured drives to your local engagements. Although we did not try it, they office Nespresso Coffee Makers in each room. Aria Restaurant resides within the hotel. It features comfort foods from around the world. There is also the Aria Bar with lush couches, and you may order cocktails, or have a "private banquette and dine on sushi flown in daily from Japan, prepared by Chicago's best sushi chef."

They have a new luxury spa and fitness studio called mySpa.

The Fairmont Chicago has won the AAA Four-Diamond Award as well as being recognized in Conde Nast Traveler's Gold List and Travel & Leisure Magazine's Top 500 Hotels in the World.

Believe me, it's a real WINNER.

More about The Fairmont Chicago

Prudential Plaza

by deecat

Photos:
#1Dee in front of fountain in outdoor Prudential plaza.
#2Flowers blooming in the outdoor Prudential plaza.
#3Allan pointing out "waterfall feature" in outdoor Prudential plaza.
#4Steel sculptures of a deer family in outdoor Prudential plaza.
#5Distance shot of outdoor plaza north of Prudential Plaza I-II.

I doubt if anyone else on VT lists Prudential Plaza as a must see. I had not really seen it before we stayed at the Fairmont Chicago Hotel and had to walk through this plaza behind Prudential Plaza I [formerly the Prudential Building] and its linked building Prudential Plaza II.

The actual plaza occupies a full city block with two buildings: a renovated existing 41-story One Prudential Plaza (the old 1955 Prudential Building) and the construction of a newer (1990) 64-story Two Prudential Plaza Building. In addition, there is the one-acre outdoor plaza and a five-level underground parking garage.

Locals call this "Pru Plaza", and I found it most interesting where an old and new building are connected and surrounded on the one side with the beautiful outdoor plaza with its water features, gardens, and sculptures.

Prudential Plaza is also connected to an underground network of pedestrian walkways that provide direct access to hotels, the Metra Randolph Street Station, subway and elevated lines, and retail services. Chicago Pedway.

What a Breakfast Buffet

by deecat about Aria Restaurant at Fairmont Hotel

When checking into the Fairmont Chicago Hotel, I learned that our room rate for our suite included breakfast. I figured it would be a typical breakfast in a hotel; more like a continental breakfast. How wrong I was.

First of all, the breakfast was located in the lovely Aria Restaurant. We could order anything that we wanted, even the expensive Breakfast Buffet.

The Restaurant is ultra modern with glass, wood, and sheer fabrics. We were seated toward the back of the restaurant, which we desired. I sat on the "booth" side of the table. I must admit that the seat was a bit low for me, but remember that I am quite short. The attention to detail was evident from the start. Service is of the highest quality.

The menu is extensive and includes almost any item that one would want for breakfast.
The restaurant is famous for using the freshest ingredients, which was quite evident upon tasting the food. Both Rosie and I decided to order the Breakfast Buffet, after we perused the Buffet room and saw the excellent selections. The first thing that we ordered was the orange juice. It was the most delicious orange juice that I've had ever...freshly squeezed with real pulp, nice and cool, and served in a lovely tall glass. Next, Rosie ordered coffee, and I order a Cappuccino. What excellent coffee drinks they were.

The Buffet outdid my wildest dreams. The fruit was remarkable...organic, fresh, and with so many choices. I had the fresh pineapple, huge blackberries, strawberries, raspberries. and melons. Yum & Yum again! I also was thrilled with the choices for pastries. I thought that the oat muffin with raisins and nuts was "out of this world". {I must admit that I had two}

There were hot dishes of bacon, turkey sausage, pork sausage, two kinds of scrambled eggs, potatoes, hot oatmeal, etc. Of course there were dry cereals, but I was particularly fond of the homemade granola with fruits and nuts and a glaze of honey. I enjoyed it so much that I asked the waiter if it was made in house. Yes, it was, as is everything.

Fairmont should be embarassed

by TripAdvisor Member deanhill

Have stayed in many Fairmonts in Canada, and have always been 'WOWED', so I was expecting the same of the Fairmont Chicago. Unfortunately, Fairmont Hotels in the U.S. seem to have much lower standards.

We were put in a smoking room - and it REEKED of smoke - even though we had a confirmed reservation for a non-smoking room.

Our room was definetly showing it's age - freyed carpets, worn furniture, dirty and dimly lit. It is apparent that Fairmont hasn't spent a dime on the guest rooms since this hotel opened.

Housekeeping forgot to empty a waste bin two days in a row - and we had to leave a note to request a missing light bulb be replaced!

Expensive ($36.00) and slow (20 minute wait) valet parking.

Come on Fairmont! you can do much better than this!

What a Wonderful place

My wife and myself stayed four days at the Fairmont Chicago and had a wonderful experience. The staff was very friendly and always helpful. The meal we enjoyed in the Aria dining room was well worth the price. The room that we had was on the 11th floor and overlooked the lake. This room was very well appointed, spacious and clean. We are already planning a trip back to Chicago this fall and will be staying at the Fairmont.

Great view, poor maintenance

Although I liked the Sofitel better, this had an amazing view, and it has quite a grand lobby. However, it was poorly maintained - tub didn't work, no minibar key in room, scuff marks on walls, peeling finish in bathrooms. It also felt a bit isolated compared to the Sofitel or even the Hard Rock.

Would not stay there again.

Disappointed

by TripAdvisor Member malyko

I was disappointed with my stay at the Fairmont. Most of the travel books recommend this hotel and I am not exactly sure of why. To begin with, I have stayed at other hotels in Chicago that are in a much better location. This hotel is hidden back in a corner. Secondly, the room we stayed in was larger than some of the other hotels in Chicago and it did have a large bathroom with a somewhat better than average bathtub, but the furniture and carpet needed updating. The furniture had scratches on it and the carpet had stains. The view from the room was average; because the hotel is not in a great location I can’t see how any of the rooms have but such great views. Even some of the rooms facing the lake have construction distracting from the view. Lastly, it’s the little things that make me feel happy at a hotel and one of my pet peeves is I like to have coffee in the morning. I feel like if I pay more to stay at a particular hotel than I should be given a few extra things like complimentary coffee. Don't expect anything to be complimentary at the Fairmont. If you want coffee you will pay $2.50 for it. Most of the 4 star hotels in Chicago will gladly provide you with fresh complimentary coffee in the morning. I would not stay here again there are too many better choices in Chicago.

Quit after 1st night. Total disappointed.

Booked a sea view suite for 7 Nights in January.
Good: Nice Lobby, room was really! large
Poor:
- Rude and very unfriendly staff. We had the feeling that we were not welcome. Never experienced such unfriendly and arrogant hotel staff before.
- Old and used interior. Looks like it has not been renovated since opening (no kidding).
- Chattels were worn.
- Bathroom not clean, black sediments between tiles. Trashbox dented.
- Carpets worn with distinctiv "streets".
- Entrance to room very poor (worn, scratches, dirt, etc.).
- Location a little to far away from city life. No restaurants, bars or shopping "next door"

-> Best days of this hotel are definitely over.

We left hotel after first night and moved for the next 6 nights to the Interconti. This one is outstanding and a clear recommendation !

Entrance to Aria at Fairmont Chicago HotelEntrance to Aria at Fairmont Chicago Hotel

Fresh Fruits at Aria at Fairmont HotelFresh Fruits at Aria at Fairmont Hotel

Rosie eating at Aria Restaurant at Fairmont HotelRosie eating at Aria Restaurant at Fairmont Hotel

Rosie Enjoying View Out our Fairmont Hotel SuiteRosie Enjoying View Out our Fairmont Hotel Suite

Comments