108 E Superior St, Chicago, Illinois, 60611, United States

Booking.com amextravel.com Tingo.com

Costs 49% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• savvygirl's Profile Photo

Unbelievable Hotel

The Peninsula Hotel in Chicago is an absolutely wonderful hotel! Every detail is thought through and your stay will be pure luxury. The location of the hotel is perfect...right in the heart of Chicago and a cab ride or walking distance to everything.

Unique Quality: You must go to the lobby bar and have the afternoon tea. The Peninsula has expanded the traditional afternoon tea experience by offering rose champagne and you will enjoy a 3-tiered tower of finger sandwiches and pastries.

• aflaneur's Profile Photo

Best Hotel in the World

This is my favorite hotel in the world (well, tied with the Four Seasons Budapest), and it is nothing short of a sublime experience. Super luxe, incredible service standards, great restaurants, beautiful rooms, perfectly located on Michigan Avenue...just perfect.

Unique Quality: The lobby, the lobby restaurant, the rooms, the spa (!), the location, the service.

• TRimer's Profile Photo

Expensive Extravagence

I was very excited for my parents to stay at the Peninsula in Chicago as the original in Hong Kong is one of their all time favorite. I was very disappointed with the rooms and the service. The rooms (at a rate of $450 a night) was not very large. The bathroom and dressing area were large but the room itself was small. My dad made the mistake of using the phone in the room for a long distance call. The long distance surcharge is $7.80 and then there is a per minute charge. We looked on the inroom billing screen to see the bill and noticed that there were 7 calls for $11.60. When my father went to the front desk to talk to them (and the GM) about the charges they fought him on it. There was no way he made 7 consecutive calls to the same number so they finally credited all but 1 of the calls. Really poor customer service as my family will never stay there again and I will not book our company executives there for an upcoming visit.

Since its grand opening in 2001, The Peninsula Chicago has been awarded numerous accolades including the prestigious Mobil Five-Star and the AAA Five-Diamond awards for the last two consecutive years.

Unique Quality: The Peninsula Chicago has 339 luxurious guestrooms and suites furnished in a magnificent classical style, including the 3,500 sq ft Peninsula Suite with its own private terrace and jacuzzi.

Modeled after the famous Hong Kong landmark, the midwest addition does not disappoint. The hotel's in-room technology is cutting edge: A small silver "command station" by every bed allows guests to control all the lights, curtains, and room temperature without getting out from under the covers. The marble-filled bathrooms have separate shower stalls and tubs, vanities with plenty of room to sit, and another "command station" by the bathtub. Add in the flat-screen TVs and you have a classic hotel that's very much attuned to the present.

Directions: Off of Michigan Avenue (on the Mag Mile), close to Water Tower Place and Bloomingdales.

• shrimp56's Profile Photo

The best sleep in town!!!

Unique Quality: Move over Four Seasons & Ritz-Carlton -- The Peninsula Chicago has set a new standard for comfort and service in Chicago. The elegance is understated and the carved "foo" dogs that guard the entrance are made of real marble!
    The resataurant "Avenues" is now one of the best intown -- but pricey!

More about The Peninsula Chicago

Did not want to leave

by TripAdvisor Member Zain214

I am currently undergoing withdrawal from the Peninsula. This hotel has been rated as number 1 in the United States on Conde Nast's Gold list and it lives up to its reputation. The executive suite we stayed in was simply stunning, as was the lobby. Great live jazz on Friday and Saturday nights in the lobby, impeccable service from front desk and concierge, fabulous bathrooms with a television above the bathtub are some of the many highlights. Although the hotel is a bit pricey, it really is worth splurging. We were able to get a discounted rate, complimentary breakfast, and a room upgrade to an executive suite by booking through a virtuso agent (central travel in Toledo Ohio). We will definitely be going back.

Plan an Experience...

Turn on the music, tap Privacy Please, set Mood Lighting, sip your wine, ...and plan an experience. And when Room Service asks if you would like your coffee cream warmed, just say yes. It will make their hearts happy.

Great room and service, but almost fainted at the brunch bill

Having stayed at the other five star hotels in Chicago, I was pleasantly surprised that this hotel surpassed the others. Rooms were wonderful and sumputous and the service was outstanding. I had requested early check in and was told they would try, but they could not garauntee it. A perfectly appropriate response. We arrived at 2:00 pm, with normal check in at 3:00 pm, and our room was not ready. They asked us to wait in the bar/lobby area and enjoy drinks on the house. They make a great $18 martini. We received a call on my cell phone and told that they had an upgraded suite available, if we would accept it. We had the Penn Kids package for our son, and he loved the goodie-filled backpack, as well as his own personal business cards. He also enjoyed the kid-friendly snacks delivered to the room (gummy worms, popcorn, milk and cookies). We loved the Sunday brunch, especially because they had a whole table of kid-friendly food for our picky eater. The only surprise came when we got the bill. For two adults and one child, our bill was $245. I admit that I had two glasses of champagne, but I thought it was included in the meal price. That alone raised the bill by $50. Not that we're piching pennies, but I do like to make informed choices. There is no menu, no pricing info available, and I didn't feel comfortable asking about the cost of the brunch. Everything else was top notch, we'll just go out for breakfast when we stay there again next week.

Completely perfect!

From the 2 level entrance - to the LARGE, gorgeous rooms...this was a perfect experience! The service was unreal, the rooms were fully equipped with every possible modern tv,stereo, lighting toy possible, and the view was to die for. I took better pictures of Chicago's skyline inside my hotel suite, than outside. After visiting the Park Hyatt (one block next door), there is NO comparision. The rooms at the Peninsula are top notch, yet still maintain a very comfortable feel. The price? Yes, a little high - but worth every penny for a very special stay.

Outstanding

by TripAdvisor Member legaljunkie

We had a wonderful experience. We frequent many 5 stars and would rank The Peninsula at the very top. We were there for 3 nights the last wk of May 2004.

We booked the mother's day brunch at the hotel and that was so tasty with a great variety.

We booked an executive suite. It was very nice with a well equipped bathroom. We had a TV at the tub and a separate shower stall. Most importantly, everything was very clean.

The location on Michigan Ave was terrific for shopping. Almost a little too good as I spent alot b/c everything was so close!!

We have stayed at well appointed hotels but what is critical to us is the level of service. It was outstanding here. A few mistakes were made but quickly corrected and a bottle of champagne sent up as a token of their apology.

We took our son and that was great. They had my son's diapers ready in our room and a very cute bath set for him as well.

My only disappointment was that I had just missed the cast of Oceans 12 staying there by a few days!

No discrimination at the THE LOBBY

I heartily disagree with the review from a disgruntled dining patron of THE LOBBY at the Hotel Peninsula dated July 19, 2004 advising those who are not W.A.S.P.s to avoid dining there! I have dined several times at THE LOBBY while visiting my daughter in Chicago and have always been more than pleased. As a Hispanic family we have found the Peninsula staff to be very professional yet open and friendly to all patrons. We have always had 5 STAR service from the entire wait staff in THE LOBBY. The food is always delicious and freshly prepared to perfection. I have witnessed people of every race and culture dining at THE LOBBY and observed all were treated most graciously. The staff is multilingual and ready to make everyone comfrotable in their dining experience! I plan to have Sunday tea or enjoy the Chocolate Night Buffet when I am back in Chicago this March!!

Comments