The Seneca Hotel And Suites

200 East Chestnut, Chicago, Illinois, 60611, United States

Good For No Data
  • deecat's Profile Photo

Best Location for the Money

Note: The staff was friendly and extremely helpful.

When Allan and I decided that we wanted to stay for two nights in Chicago to celebrate our 44th Wedding Anniversary [August 10, 2007], Allan selected The Seneca Hotel because of its fabulous location and reasonable price. It's located across from the John Hancock Center and Water Tower Place. It is so convenient to everything that we wished to do.

It was built in 1924 and was renovated in 2006. Not all of the rooms are done yet; fortunately, we were placed in a renovated room on the 17th floor [#1705]. This is a European boutique hotel even though it is 17 floor high. There are more than 200 rooms, but 190 of them are guestrooms. The others are used as permanent residents.

We had a room with a queen-sized bed, large dresser, a small round table with two chairs, two end tables, a high bar that separated the bedroom from the kitchen. The kitchen had a full-sized refrigerator, sink, microwave, fully stocked cabinets, toaster, coffeemaker, electric can opener. It also had a beautiful tiled bathroom. Surprisingly, we had two rather large closets with a in-room safe.

We really loved the high ceilings with crown molding. I also liked the sheer white drapes which let in plenty of light. Behind the sheers were mini-blinds that could be closed.

If you want more luxury, you need to ask for a suite that has king bed in a separate bedroom, a sofa, loveseat, and upholstered chair as well as a dining area with table and chairs.

Unique Quality: All the rooms have complimentary wireless Internet access and voice mail.

The hotel has a lovely restaurant called The Saloon Steakhouse where seafood, steaks, and fine chops are served. There is also a more informal place called The Chestnut Grill and Wine Bar. There are three meeting rooms, a business center, a concierge desk, a same-day cleaning service, and discounts to Linda Field's Salon and Spa.

Note: If you use the Valet Parking Service where you have unlimited in and out privileges, the cost is $42.00 per night. Instead, we used the parking garage next door for $25.00 a night with those privileges because we walked everywhere. [Believe it or not, in 2 1/2 days, Allan and I walked over 40 miles just exploring the lakefront, the parks, Michigan Avenue, etc.]

• worldglobetrotter's Profile Photo

European Elegance

Located just one block off Michigan Avenue...the Magnificent Mile...The Seneca offers up spacious suites to rest your weary head after a day tackling Chi-town.

According to the web site, "Here, you'll discover a quaint European style hotel that is treasured by those who prefer a quiet, tree-lined street, and an elegant spacious suite."

It is located near the Water Tower Place and John Hancock Center.

Unique Quality: All rooms and suites have fully-equipped kitchens, including microwave and dishwasher.

There is a fitness center, salon and spa, full service cleaners, rooftop sundeck, and valet parking.

When you stay at The Seneca, you're just a hop, skip and a jump from the Hancock Tower, offering up most-excellent views of this fabulous city. Also, just across the street is one heck of a shopping center.

More about The Seneca Hotel And Suites

Good breakfast in a diner-like atmosphere

by Jefie about Chestnut Street Cafe

The Chestnut Street Cafe is located in the basement of the Seneca Hotel, and it was one of the places recommended for breakfast by the Jane Austen conference organizers so we decided to give it a try (it is also open for lunch, but we only went for breakfast). It's a bit hard to describe the atmosphere of the place because even though they say it's a cafe, it felt a bit more like a casual diner. There were several options for breakfast, and they were all offered at a very good price. I ordered some pancakes with bacon and everything was quite good, and service was OK. To sum it all up, if you're looking for a quick, inexpensive breakfast with no frills in the Magnificient Mile area, the Chestnut Street Cafe is a good option.

an excellent buy, for a night or a week

I've visited Chicago at least once a year, sometimes more, over the last 15 years. My previous 3 years have been exclusively the Seneca Hotel. The reservation staff keep a log of previous guests, and they make you feel as if you are gettin special treatment for your continued patronage. The hotel is small, without most of the amenities guests will find in larger branded hotels. But, in exchange for the logo, you get a location one block off Michigan Ave., a quiet almost residential street, and a neatly furnished room that feels more like an apartment than a hotel room. For the price, I can't beat it in Chicago, summer or winter. Reservations months in advance are a must, during convention weeks, but highly recommended.

Substandard hotel, great location

Fortunately, I got a great deal on this hotel. But, it turns out I got what I paid for. The only positive about this hotel is the location.
The room and bathroom were very small, most of the outlets were broken, wallpaper was peeling, the view was poor, there was only one full size bed in the room, the faucets all leaked, and the guy at the front desk had an attitude problem. This was my first stay in Chicago and needless to say that the next time I go, I'll be staying somewhere else.

Better than I expected

Was a little nervous when I booked this hotel in September based on some of the previous reviews. Quality of the room and looby was better than I expected, especially for the price we paid. Overall, the staff was very friendly and accomodately. My only complaint is that the staff did not have enough knowledge of restaurants in the immediate area.
Overall, a very good experience.

Horrendous Experience - SERVICE is an F

by TripAdvisor Member gerg32

I am a frequent traveler and this was with out a doubt, the worst hotel experience I have had in years. To save time, I will just list the issue. 1) Poor service, they just ignore you. 2) Toilet was broken. 3) Hot water does not work. 4) Restaurant food was terrible. 5) Closet smelled of Urine. STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLACE!!

Not the Boutique Hotel it's Trying to be

This hotel is trying very hard to be a boutique hotel but fails miserably. The facade and entry are welcoming, but that's where it ends. Once you head up to the rooms, if you can get your baggage into the tiny elevator, (the doorman doesn't offer help) the hallways are tired looking, with thickly stuccoed walls and beat up wood on the door jams.The rooms are spacious, but the beds are cheap and uncomfortable.
Each has a full kitchen, wasted on the business traveler.There is no room service, only the crappy coffee maker with pre-proportioned coffee. (Double up for a semi-decent cup of java)The best thing is the location. Just steps away from Michigan Ave., it sits in the shadow of both the John Hancock building, (go up to the 95th floor for cocktails, the view is spectacular!) and Water Tower Place, a great shopping mall.I would not recommend, as it is way overpriced, even though I booked on line, it was still $189, the best I could find during a busy convention week.

Great experience!

Very spacious bedroom and separate living area. Nicely decorated. Two huge closets. Kitchen was great with good-sized refrigerator, microwave, oven, stove, coffee maker. Also had plates, utensils, pots & pans, etc. Large TV in Bedroom and in Living Room. The rooms were very private with no noise from the neighboring rooms. Overall, we were very pleased with the choice of the Seneca. Great location!!

would choose again

by TripAdvisor Member GringoTraveler74

Stayed here in Aug. '03. Helpful, friendly staff! Only problem--I had a suite on the 4th floor that used to be someone's apt. Very nice but twice the maids left my door unlocked after cleaning. Front desk staff was ready to change my room though I just requested that my doorknob be triple-checked after cleaning. Manager personally came to speak with me, gave me business card, etc. I'd stay again!

Seneca HotelSeneca Hotel

Seneca Hotel, things to do nearby

by suehalen

We're staying at the Seneca Hotel. are there any reasonably priced restaurants nearby... We're going to see Wicked, which I think is a bit over a mile away. What do you do for transportation if you don't have a car there? a Cab?? I read somewhere about a trolley... How far away is Amtrek?
What is the Navy Pier and where is the Sears Tower located? is it far from our hotel?
TIA

RE: Seneca Hotel, things to do nearby

by ljbs

There are numerous restaurants near the Seneca Hotel; it's just off North Michigan Ave. which is one of the higher priced areas of the city. The kinds of cuisine vary rather widely and some of the restaurants are quite expensive. I don't know what you mean by "reasonable," but if you afford the Seneca I think you will find many places in your price range.

There is no need to take a cab to any of the places you mention. None are far from your hotel (Amtrak is the furthest) and you can get all around the metro area on public transportation. The Chicago Transit Authority has a web site which gives a lot of information for tourists, and from it you can buy transit passes that would save you a bit of time and money. It includes a trip planner that gives directions from point to point and includes fares and approximate times.

There are also free trolleys that travel to various attractions. See:

Navy Pier is said to be Illinois's number one tourist attraction jutting out a mile into Lake Michigan with all sorts of things to see and do--including boat rides, shops, theaters and restaurants. See:

You can get there by bus or trolley.

And do take a bus or trolley south on Michigan Ave. to Millennium park and the Loop.

RE: RE: Seneca Hotel, things to do nearby

by abaumbb84

about the sears, i think its on Jackson and Orleans, but it doesnt matter since you can spot it from anywhere in the city...also, the best thing to do for tourists (and locals) to do in chicago is to take the river boat ride...its an architectural tour and chicago is the birthplace of the skyscaper

Comments