The Silversmith Hotel & Suites

10 S Wabash Ave, (formerly Crowne Plaza), Chicago, Illinois, 60603, United States

The Silversmith Hotel
Hotels.com Booking.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• leics's Profile Photo

Very central indeed

The Silversmith is a fairly-recently-restored historical building tight in the heart of the Loop and, as such, is incredibly central for anywhere you might want to visit in Chicago. It's just 2 minutes walk from Millennium Park (and 'the Bean'!), perhaps 5 minutes from the Art Institute and right outside the Madison Wabash El station. You really couldn't ask for a better location in terms of convenience.

When I stepped out of my taxi I thought I'd stepped into an episode of ER: not only was the El directly overhead (it runs straight down S Wabash) but there were numerous hospital staff wearing scrubs! They were there every day, so I can only assume that there is some sort of medical facility nearby, or perhaps hospital accommodation. Anyway, it was an exceptionally atmospheric way to arrive.

The hotel itself is an older building which has been beautifully restored and renovated. Reception is on the second floor (first floor if you are from the UK) : stairs or the elevator (lift) to get there. I hadn't realised that 'L' in the lift meant 'lobby' (reception) so, as the (speedy) lifts will only operate to other floors with a keycard I was a little bemused and ended up climbing the stairs. I put my inefficiency down to being exhausted due to my Megabus ride from Iowa City!

My room was on the 6th floor, facing another building. No view, of course: I didn't expect it in mid-city. But it was quiet, very clean and very comfortable with a *huge* bathroom. There was a bathtub as well as a shower, which was especially pleasing...as were the numerous towels, and the very pleasant toilteries (not all hotel toiletries are pleasant, unfortunately).

The room had all the usual: workdesk, free wired and wireless internet, large TV, large closet, comfortable bed, efficient air con/heating which could be 'customised'. And a very large roomsafe, more than big enough for two or three laptops and bolted to the floor.

Coffee and tea were provided in the room, with a machine & supplies replenished daily.

There is a 'business centre' (2 computers and printers) in the rather ritzy lobby, as well as a grand piano (!) and numerous comfy couches and armchairs. I liked the security of a lift which would only operate with a keycard, and I also liked the fact that there was a clean and well-signed emergency staircase, unlocked and with access to all floors above the lobby. One must think of emergency situations when one is in a tall building.

There's also an in-hotel 'fitness centre', though I didn't explore that!

Staff were helpful and courteous and, for a hotel of that standard which is so centrally sited, rates were reasonable enough.

Downsides are: the El, which really is perhaps only 15 feet or so from the front of the building. No problems with rooms at the back, but goodness knows whether rooms at the front are as noisy as I would expect. Best to ask for a room at the back, I think.

There is no breakfast or food within the hotel itself, but it links directly to Ada's Deli & Restaurant. Although I'd hoped to eat there (and the menu looked good) it always seemed to be pretty much empty when I passed by. That's never a good sign. So I had my breakfast at a branch of Corner Cafe at the end of the block, always heaving with people and with reasonable breakfasts at reasonable prices (and the most amazing cinnamon rolls!).

For a first visit to Chicago, when I had no idea of where I wanted to be or where I really wanted to visit (other than Millennium Park) , this hotel was ideally located. I felt pretty safe in the area as a solo middle-aged female, but being in largely a business district the surrounding streets did empty out somewhat by around 10pm. By then I was on my way back to my bed, so that didn't bother me: it might bother others.

• PaulMcGann's Profile Photo

Ideal for city stay

Perfect location, large and comfortable room and great value. Right at the Loop and within yards of Macy's and Sears...ideal. Free use of computer and printer. Large room with abundance of towels and great air conditioning. We had a room at the back which was away from the Loop and this may be advisable from a noise persprctive. Staff were excellent and helpful. Downside? The bar is a little removed from the reception which is located on the 1st floor and seems to close a little early. Breakfast is fine but we did not eat dinner here as it seems to be directed towards the casual 'snack' type diner. Loads of restaurants nearby and Michigan Ave. is around the corner. Recommended.

Directions: In the middle of everything!!!!

• Great Little Known Hotel

I placed a bid on hotwire and got this hotel. It isn't well known by cab drivers so be prepared to explain its location and address. The hotel was remodeled in the early 2000s and they did a beautiful job of keeping the history of the building alive. The room we stayed in had 12 foot ceilings which made it appear much larger than it was. Hallways and rooms were appointed very well. Hotel is located right underneath the Madison and Wabash station of the El in the Loop. Surprisingly the noise of the trains is hardly noticeable from the rooms.

Unique Quality: Cheesecake and coffee in the lobby during the evening! No views to speak of from the rooms but the location is right in the middle of everything, just one block from Millennium Park and one block from State Street. Price quoted is hotwire's (regular room rate was twice that).

Directions: Corner of Wabash and Madison under the train station.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Hidden gem

Recently a friend of mine stayed here and when she mentioned where she was staying I had no idea it existed. If you are having trouble finding a hotel downtown, you might give this one a try. She got quite a bargain by booking through www.hotrooms.com.

Unique Quality: It is a landmark building, built in 1897, designed by DH Burnham & Co. It's part of what is known as Jewelers Row.

Directions: Loop, near Jeweler's Row

• cjg1's Profile Photo

South of the river

This is a place found by my friends where i crashed the last night in Chicago. Nice hotel and not too bad when 3 people involved.

Unique Quality: Room configurations are different. Some have lounge chairs some have columns.... how the two relate i dont know.

Directions: Wabash and Monroe

• chantalb79's Profile Photo

Crowne Plaza- The Silversmith

$100-200 per night USD

Unique Quality: Ideally located in the Heart of Chicago's financial and theater district(The Loop). Just blocks from the world renowned Art Institute and Symphony Center. Exciting Navy Pier and Chicago's finest museums are within minutes. Located only 3 miles away from the United Center.

Directions: CHICAGO SILVERSMITH, IL
    10 South Wabash Avenue
    CHICAGO, IL 60603
    UNITED STATES

More about The Silversmith Hotel & Suites

What a GREAT Hotel & Location!

by TripAdvisor Member Time2GoNow

I initially made our Chicago reservations at the Hotel Allegro, but after reading all the negative reviews regarding noise level between rooms, I made reservations with the Chicago Silversmith. We visited Chicago Nov 20-25 for vacation. The reviews were right on the mark -- this place is a FANTASTIC find!! I called prior to our arrival and asked for a room on the fifth floor or higher -- due to the noise level of the El train. When we arrived at 10:00 am, we were given a suite on the 10th floor, Club Level. Our suite was huge with wonderful big windows and mission style furniture (our favorite). This is a perfect hotel for families. There were three of us. Mom & Dad in the bedroom and child in the living room (queen sleeper sofa). The bathroom was also huge. Our $153 rate included continental breakfast that was located a couple doors down from our room. It was staffed by a Silversmith employee. She prepared our coffee and any items we wanted heated or toasted. We also had the opportunity to use the Concierge (Peggy) several times. She was very knowledgeable and friendly. The entire hotel staff was top notch. The location of this hotel is perfect. There are plenty of great places to eat (the Berghoff is one of our favorites) and lots of museums and shopping. The Art Institute is just a couple of blocks away. We also walked to the Field Museum and to the north end of Michigan Ave to the John Hancock Building. We rode the El (right outside our door) to visit Oak Park -- home of Frank Lloyd Wright. We will definitely recommend the Silversmith to our friends and hope to stay again in the near future.

Great Hotel

I stayed here a few months ago. Had to be in town on business short notice initially could only get into the SuisseHotel which was nice but extremely pricey. I managed to get into the Silversmith by virtue of being platinum with Priority Club. I was not upgraded as the hotel was extremely full at the time however I was given access to the club lounge for free breakfast etc if I wanted it (unfortunately was also working a wierd hours shift and don't think I ever at a breakfast while in town). The doormen are all extremely friendly helping with getting your bags from cabs and saying hi and it seems like they mean it as well when you walk in and out of the hotel. The front desk manager was extremely nice and very accomodating with any requests that I had. They even went as far as letting me use their office PC's when I could not get their business center PC's to print out my boarding pass. The restaurant downstairs is nothing spectacular just good normal American type food (I personally liked it as I like being able to get something that looks regular when I'm in a rush). The room was not very large however the hotel is an old remodeled building that has these 12' ceilings so it gives the impression that the room is huge regardless of the square footage. I plan on staying there again if sent to the Windy City for business and hope to take my wife there someday if we go on vacation to Chicago.

A Vacation Highlight

by TripAdvisor Member StephSTL

This hotel was wonderful -- it became a highlight of our short vacation in Chicago. We had a suite on the 5th floor - with an interesting view of the El and Wabash Street. Yes, there is some noise from the El, but the windows are well insulated, and the suite contained earplugs, lavender linen spray, and a relaxation CD -- all of which helped us to forget the noise and just enjoy the room. Great location and wonderful service. Well recommended!

Crown Plaza Silversmith a true gem!

by TripAdvisor Member cpt

What a great hotel for a downtown location. Marshall Fields is a block away! The service at this hotel was great! We had made modifications to our reservations and had no problems whatsoever! We had a suite on the 8th floor. Huge bathroom (with terry robes!). Pull-out couch for the son, and a wonderful king bed in a seperate room for mom and dad! Coffee maker, fridge, and turn-down service with mints! We highly recommend using the concierge. She had some great tips for us as well as having connections for quick seating at the Walnut Room (even during the holidays!).

We requested a room opposite the train system - and it was very quiet. However, they provided a set of earplugs if needed, along with a CD to help you sleep.

For a downtown location - we would definitely go back!

Great New Year's stay

by TripAdvisor Member SueC0001

My sister, nephew, & I stayed at this hotel over New Year's Eve. We got a great rate for both the night before & New Year's Eve by booking on Crowne Plaza's website in advance. The hotel is several blocks away from Shubert theatre where we had tickets to a show. The location is great. We drove in from the Detroit area and had a hard time finding the hotel. Look closely, because the only part of the hotel at street level is the front door. Once we found it we had a great stay. The front desk staff were very helpful and pleasant. The concierge, Peggy, was a delight. The room was big enough for the three of us, and we appreciated the relaxation CD since we were just above the train (on the 5th floor). Although you could hear it, the noise was not that loud. The room was very clean and well appointed. It had the largest safe I've ever had in a hotel. One note--if you plan to use the sofa bed, let them know when you check in. Although they had turndown service, they did not pull out the sofa bed for my nephew. When we pulled it out, we found it did not have linens on it. We called the front desk and they told us you need to inform them if you want to use the sofa bed. When we checked in they knew we were 2 adult women and one large 16 year old boy--I felt they should have known that we would not all fit in 1 king size bed. That was the only hiccup in a great stay. Oh, Ada's Deli in the hotel has the best potato chips if you like your chips well-done (not quite burnt). They make them there. Be sure to stock up.

reviews are true

by TripAdvisor Member MWARRAM

We went to Chicago the week of January 17th to visit family. I chose this hotel because of the reviews on trip advisor. We were travelling with our 17 month old son and so it was very important to us to find a hotel that had suites and was also affordable. This hotel was perfect. The room was large and had a separate bedroom. It also had a refrigerator in the room which was very convenient. We asked for a room on the opposite side from the train and it was very quiet. Still had some train noise, but unless you are extremely sensitive to noise it was hardly noticeable. Everyone was extremely friendly and helpful. The room was very clean and comfortable. We ended up staying an extra day and they gave us a reduced rate for the extra night. Only negative to this hotel is location. Because it was so cold we took a taxi everywhere we went. It is off the beaten track, but still close enough to walk if the weather is warmer. Most of our taxi fares were under $8.00. All in all a great hotel.

Comments