The Sutton Place Hotel Chicago

21 East Bellevue Place, Chicago, Illinois, 60611, United States

Good For No Data
  • TRimer's Profile Photo

Modern Convenience in the Gold Coast

When I lived on the Gold Coast, my parents would stay at the Sutton when they came to visit. Definately one of the best attributes of the hotel is the location. It is a block from great shopping (Oak Street and the Mag Mile), from good restaurants (Gibsons, Le Colonial, Carmines) and good bars (Tavern on Rush, Jillys, Rish Street). The rooms were a good size with all the modern conveniences. Back in the early 90s when my parents stayed there they offered CD and DVD players in the rooms.

Unique Quality: One of the nice things about Sutton Place is access to the Whiskey Bar that otherwise has long waits.

Directions: Gold Coast

• CdnJane's Profile Photo

You Never Know Who You Might Meet Here

My stay here was on a familiarisation trip with the travel company I worked for, so we could see where we were sending our clients, and to try out the accomodations. I loved the CD Player in the room, and my view out to the lake. Lovely room. Beautiful furniture. Saw some of the large suites, and would love to move in and live there.
    The dining that we experienced was excellent.
    Did find it was a little far north of the shopping and the business core, but still a lovely area.
    It was owned by the husband of Cindy Crawford, I believe... and there were some other famous folks around too. The staff won't tell you... so just keep your eyes open.

Unique Quality: Seemed nicely secluded while at the same time it was at the end of the Golden Mile (? if that is the right name of the area).

More about The Sutton Place Hotel Chicago

Loved Sutton Place Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Jane11

My son and I just returned from a wonderful visit to Chicago. The staff made our stay at the Sutton Park terrific. All of the staff was kind and professional and went out of their way to be helpful. They provided us with a room on the 20th floor with views of the lake and the city. The concierge sent milk and cookies on our first night and it was greatly appreciated by my son (for 2 nights!). The beds were extremely comfortable. We brought a DVD to watch one evening after a late dinner, so it was great having the DVD player available. We loved the neighborhood, and especially enjoyed breakfast at the Original Pancake House, located across the street. We enjoyed all of the sights, baseball games, shopping, museums, great food and luckily great weather (until yesterday)that Chicago had to offer on our four day visit. We could walk to most of the sights, or walk to the end of the block to catch a bus. The train was closeby and we used it to get to the White Sox game, Wrigley Field, Oak Park and Midway. We had checked out on Sunday, had a full day of sightseeing, and returned late in the day for our luggage. The staff kindly loaned me a hair dryer, as we had gotten caught in the rain, and let me use the Gym suite to freshen up before we departed for the airport. I had a lot of Chicago hotel choices and I'm glad we chose the Sutton Place. We would definitly enjoy a return visit, and I will recommend Sutton Place to friends who plan to visit.

The Sutton is NOT THE PLACE

by TripAdvisor Member Tackle

My partner and I went to Chicago for a quick weekend trip to celebrate his birthday. After we booked our flight, we found out that the American Heart Association annual meeting was also in Chicago that weekend. Needless to say, hotel rooms were at a premium. And the Sutton Place took advantage of that fact. Rates were miuch higher than normal, with no discounts available even searching for internet discounts.

We booked a "Lakeview" DELUXE room. The Lakeview was a small sliver of Lake Michigan seen between several adjacent buildings. We made the reservation itself through Expedia and the experience was fine.

Check-in was a mixed experience; althought the front desk was extremely courteous, no appropriate room was available until an hour after our arrival even though we tried to check-in at 2:00 pm.

The room itself was spacious and nicely furnished with a large although somewhat dated bathroom. The bath products were superb. The TV, DVD player, and stereo were nice touches. Overall, it was an above average room BUT nothing like I would have expected for $450/night.

The bed was a little soft but the linens and bed coverings were high quality. HOWEVER, the room was not very quiet; when some of our neighbors got up to check out at 5:15 am we were awakened to hear every word of their conversation at the elevator. And we were at the far end of the hallway.

The exercise room is small and inadequate. The hotel does have a relationship with a nearby health club, Equinox. However, that 'relationship' doesn't translate into a reasonable rate to use their gym; a one-day pass was $20.00!!!!!

Check-out was prompt and quick.

Overall, this is a pleasant hotel in a superb location. Great shopping and restaurants are within walking distance. Don't expect a lot of bells and whistles, and certainly don't pay $450 per night. If you can't get it cheaper you might as well stay at a Sheraton or similar mid-range hotel.

Wonderful Hotel & Staff

by TripAdvisor Member Ltstravel

My daughter and I stayed two nights at the Sutton Place Hotel and loved it. It is located within a block of great shopping and restaurants and entertainment. Our room was beautiful, clean, and cozy. We had a King Deluxe room and the bed was sooooo comfortable. The staff went out of their way to make sure that we had a good time. Everyone that saw us always asked us if there was anything that we needed or if they could do anything for us. We walked over to see "The 27th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee" at the Drury Lane Theatre in Water Tower Place. Absolutely hilarious!!! Then we went to the top of the Hancock Building to see the view of the city at night. We had a wonderful time and felt completely safe walking to and from our hotel at night. I highly recommend this hotel. We are planning to visit Chicago again next year and will definately stay at this hotel again.

A wonderful experience

by TripAdvisor Member Chowlover

We spent three nights at the Sutton Place Hotel. The location (right next to the Rush Street nightlife area, close to North Michigan Ave, only a few blocks from a Red Line subway stop) was handy. The room was spacious, the bed comfortable, and all was immaculately clean. Hotel personnel were friendly and helpful. We were on the 19th floor and our room was extremely quiet. I wanted to take the shower home; it was strong, stayed at a constant temperature, and was mounted high enough that tall people (maybe not nba players) won't have to stoop. There was also a large soaking tub. I had never heard of this hotel, but I'd stay here again in a flash!

Great weekend

by TripAdvisor Member Bluecatbrat

My husband and I live in Lincoln Park and once a year, we like to celebrate a special occasion by booking a room in a nice hotel. We were most pleased with our stay at Sutton Place. We were greeted warmly by the doorman upon arrival, the front desk accomodated our request for an upgrade by giving us a corner room with a lake view. Our room was clean, the view was excellent, the bed and down comforter were extremely welcoming and the large soaking tub in the bathroom was a pleasure. Our room service breakfast was delicious and delivered on schedule. The neighborhood is cool for just walking around and exploring and there are limitless choices for eating and drinking. I don't think you can get a better place for the money. We will definitely be going back!

Great Location

by TripAdvisor Member suzyjacuzzi

Stayed at the Sutton Place for 1 night before moving to the Hyatt Convention Center. The hotel is in a perfect location for exploring Michigan Avenue, Rush and Division Streets. Unfortunately, we were given room keys to a room that was already occupied. We were a little shocked entering into a room with a laptop, jewelry and lots of clothing! The front desk was a bit embarrassed as well, however, we took a bottle of Red wine as a peace offering! We went to Jilly's Jazz club around the corner on Rush (highly recommend) and also ate dinner across the street at Gibson's Steak House. Expensive but worth every bit. I would highly recommend going to the John Hancock tower and checking out the beautiful cocktail lounge on the 96 floor - great spot for a cocktail and to watch the city lights glimmer below.

Customer service is really slipping

We have loved the Sutton Place and stayed there many times. I had read the past posts about some of the problems, but chalked them up to "grumpy guests." Well, maybe I am one too, but we won't stay at Sutton Place again.

We made our reservations through one of the bulk hotel retailers when they had a better price and the prepay option. I even called S.P. to ask if this would make any difference, and the reservationist said, "No, you'll get a better price through them and it doesn't matter to us." I specifically put on our reservation that it was our 25th anniversary, hoping this would get us nice treatment.

We arrived well within the check-in time and were put in the handicapped room on the 8th floor. Now, I'm not complaining about handicapped rooms, and some of them have been the most luxurious rooms I have ever been in. This one had the advantage of no view -- which meant we weren't on one of the noisy streets, but it had the dinkiest tub with a pitiful handheld shower! I've had better showers at the Holiday Inn Express. When I asked if we could move to a higher floor or different room, they said, "No, that's the only room we have for you."

On Saturday evening, I needed change for a $100 bill. When I asked the desk clerk to make change, he said he didn't have it, and suggested I go to the Whiskey Bar next door and get it there. Was I supposed to tell HIS bellman that I didn't have tip money because I didn't want to go into the smoky, loud bar adjacent to the hotel?!?! Infuriating.

Find another hotel. This one has lost its magic.

Unbeatable location, very nice room, hard bed

by TripAdvisor Member Caribbeing

I lived in Chicago for seven years, most of them about four blocks away from this hotel. It's in absolutely the best location in Chicago, since the Mag Mile is an easy walk, as is Lincoln Park, and of course it's in the heart of the Gold Coast, which is great.

The hotel is impressive on the outside, with a nice (albeit small) lobby and decent attached bar (The Whiskey). We had a room on the 17th floor with a good view north, a hard, uncomfortable king size bed, and a nice set of chairs, a desk and side tables. The bed was quite hard, to the point that neither my wife nor I was able to sleep well.

Still, the bathroom was beautiful, the TV had a nice selection of HBO and other premium channels for free, and the room itself was nicely decorated. We found the room to be well insulated from external noises, and it was quite comfortable for our four day, three night stay.

The Pancake House is directly across the street, which is very convenient for breakfast (although there are always crowds). Beyond that, there are a ton of restaurants and bars to go to within a couple of blocks. (Le Colonial is an excellent Vietnamese restaurant, very dark and romantic, and only about two blocks away.)

All in all, a very nice, albeit pricy, hotel. We try to stay in a different hotel every time we go back, but this was definitely one of our favorites (except for the bed).

Chicago Hotels

by themangus

Chicago is now the last City on my list that I haven't found a hotel which I've decided to go for.

From information I've received so far (and a helpful website) suggests that a lot of bars which I'm likely to frequent at night are in the Lincoln Park area. So, probably seems logical that I try and base myself around that area while I'm in Chicago.

Also, I need the hotel to have an Internet Connection and Ideally be circa $200-250 per night.

Any help is obviously appreciated.

My current thought is the Chicago Hard Rock Hotel

by Dabs

There aren't a lot of hotel options in Lincoln Park, a neighborhood of Chicago that is primarily residential. A cab ride from Lincoln Park to downtown hotels will probably run around $8-10, maybe a little more, it's 3-4 miles to most hotels. You can also use public transport but if it's late and you have been drinking, I'd recommend a cab.

The Hard Rock is just south of the River, just a little further away from Lincoln Park than the hotels on North Michigan Avenue/River North so you would be fine getting a hotel in River North or in the area just south of the River. I don't know what you are planning on doing while here, but the Hard Rock is in a fine location both for visiting the 2 shopping districts (State St. and Michigan Avenue), Millennium Park and the Art Institute plus Grant Park if any big festivals are going on while you are here.

I don't know if you can, or would want to, use a blind bidding site like Priceline or Hotwire, they are non cancellable, non refundable and although you can probably narrow it down to a couple of hotels, you're never quite sure what you're getting. But friends of mine that have used both sites have been pleased.

by themangus

Thanks Dabs,

I'll be in Chicago 15th-19th July.

Location is my main worry for the trip - and as you as the Hard Rock is in a good proximity to the shopping districts and Millenium Park etc... I think I'll go stick with the choice and stay there.

Thanks for you help.

by TRimer

You could also stay in the Gold Coast area which is very close to Lincoln Park and still near to downtown. The Sofitel is lovely and Sutton Place has great amenities. There are hotels in Lincoln Park- just not your big chains. There are 2 hotels (Days Inn and one that keeps changing its name) on Diversey. I live in Lincoln Park and my parents when they come to visit tend to stay at Sutton Place or the Four Seasons. Both are $5 cab rides to Lincoln Park.

Comments