The Talbott Hotel

20 East Delaware Place, Chicago, Illinois, 60611, United States

Orbitz.com amextravel.com AMOMA.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• Beautiful Hotel

I would highly recommend this hotel for anyone who wants to discover Chicago on foot! It is located just off Michigan Avenue, close to fantastic bars, restuarants and the beach. The rooms are spacious and nicely decorated. The concierge are extremely helpful and will direct you anywhere you wish to go. Would definitly stay here again.

• deeply's Profile Photo

Talbott Hotel- cozy and snug

I set my parents up at this hotel because I thought they would like it better because of it's bed-and-breakfast feel. They absolutely loved their stay. The wood panelling, antiques, and leather armchairs make the hotel very relaxing in a very fast paced city. It's has 24 hour room service, and in the executive suites, a jacuzzi tub, Ask when making reservations because the rooms vary in size--the rooms aren't overly ornate, but they have what you need and cost less than a huge corporate hotel.

Unique Quality: Close to the Magnificent Mile, but doesn't have that corporate feel, quaint in a big city, and complete with interesting decor in the lobby, modified from an old apartment building.

Directions: Take the red line to chicago/state

• deecat's Profile Photo

Boutique Hotel in Gold Coast Area

"Chicago is not only a real city. . . and one of the world's great cities, but at the same time it's a city that's knowable, manageable, and workable. You can figure it out. It has a sense of cohesiveness..." Lucy Salenger, Chicago Office of Film and Entertainment, 1981

When my sister came to stay in Chicago for a little over a week, she and I spent five of those days in Chicago at the Talbott Hotel. It's the perfect place for two unescorted women to stay because of its location and its safety. It is located just off North Michigan Avenue near the Water Tower and John Hancock Building.
    There are 149 rooms and suites, and all denote understated elegance. A nightly turn down and a morning newspaper are just two of the delightful services offered at the Talbott.
    The hotel was built in 1927 but has recently been renovated and is luxurious. We stayed in a large room with two Queen-sized beds,two end tables, a comfortable reading chair, and great wardrobe chest with plenty of space for storage. In addition, there was a nice-sized closet. There was an iron and ironing board, an in-room safe (which we used each day), cable TV, radio, clock, two phones (one in the bathroom.) Speaking of the bathroom; it was absolutely wonderful as was the complimentary bath soaps, shampoos, and lotions.
    It is a 4-Star Hotel.

Check-in time is 3:00 PM
    Check-out is 12:00 PM

Unique Quality: It's a true European-style hotel where the staff remembers your name and is always there to help you. From 6:00am until 10:00 pm, room service is available.

A Victorian Sitting Room serves as the lobby with two fire places. Basil's is just off the lobby with its Antique Bar and small seating area. In the summer there is a lovely outdoor eating space. The menu is light and perfect for snacks or lunch.
    We stayed under a special deal where the breakfast came with the room, and Basil's is where we ate each morning.
    The Talbott Hotel is a wonderful place to stay in Chicago.

More about The Talbott Hotel

My Favorite Hotel

I love The Talbott Hotel! Here is proof that big city lodging can merge with personal attention and pride in excellence.
The Talbott is perfectly located in the center of all the Magnificent Mile wonderland, but just a few blocks off the noisy Michigan Ave.. ...this tucked-away spot makes this a peaceful haven. The doormen are attentive, the concierges knowledgable and accessible, the front desk folks friendly and professional. The rooms are modern/updated, clean as a whistle, quiet and comfortable. Rates are extremely reasonable, and the online reservation rate is frequently downright scary...it's so low! But fear not...the hotel is terrific.
I don't think the restaurant is as great as the hotel, but good eats are around every corner.
I highly recommend The Talbott Hotel. And I'm not the only one....the long list of rave reviews on TripAdvisor tells the true tale.

great little hotel

by TripAdvisor Member beverlyrd

My husband and I just returned from 4 days/3nights at the Talbott Hotel in Chicago. I booked it based on reviews in Trip Advisor and was not one bit disappointed. The location is perfect, on a quiet little street 2 blocks from Michigan Ave. Service was impeccable, from the front desk staff to the concierge to the bellmen and housekeeping. Everyone was pleasant and efficient and seemed to genuinely want their guests to enjoy their stay. We requested non-smoking and had a good sized, spotless room with 2 comfortable chairs for relaxing and a beautiful bathroom(with robes & lighted makeup mirror). The view sucked (we overlooked a parking lot), but that was a minor flaw considering the other amenities. A small fridge(instead of the "honor bar") would have been appreciated also. We took advantage of the health club passes, another great feature of staying at the Talbott. The club was close and very nice with towels and lockers provided. We enjoyed walking around the neighborhood and being so close to everything else we wanted to do. While we were waiting for our shuttle back to the airport we killed some time in the bar, Basil's, which was pricey but very comfortable with a sidewalk cafe. All in all, I was impressed with the Talbott & would definitely stay there again.

Very Nice, Very English

We travelled to Chicago from Mass. with our 15 month-old son for a wedding. We selected the Talbott Hotel because they had a great web-rate, really good reviews, and seemed like a small yet high-service hotel. All turned out to be accurate. We called prior to the trip and requested an early check-in which was no problem for the hotel. We arrived at 12pm and were ushered to our 1 bedroom suite, with sitting room, after being greeted by Everyone in the lobby! The suite was comfortable, well-decorated, and QUIET. The bathroom was huge and beautiful. The enitre STAFF - from concierge to housekeeping - IS INCREDIBLE! They are so helpful and friendly! The room-service menu is very limited but we had breakfast in the restaurant and it was fresh and delicious, as well as being served while we relaxed on sofas and comfy chairs! At any rate, there are so many great restaurants and services available within blocks of the hotel that it seems a minor detail. We were able, for instance, to go up a block to the Walgreens for formula and diapers, over 3 blocks for pancakes, and down 2 blocks for shopping and dinner. The Doormen are super-valuable sources of information in terms of where to go/ what to see/ how to get there, etc. They really know their town and are wonderful people. We had a GREAT visit and were really happy with our selection of the Talbott Hotel!

Great hotel very well located

Stayed there during 7 nights last september.
Great little hotel with very large room. The rooms are a bit dusty though.
Service is good and people are helpful.
Loved the free wireless internet.
Location is fantastic just behind watertower and next to the "restaurant district".
I would have expeceted a gesture for staying 7 nights but did not get any special treatment.
Good value for money.

Excellent room and guest services

The hotel is lovely and you can't have a more central location in the city. The staff exceeded my expectations in providing everything I would need to have a comfortable stay. Will highly recommend to friends and colleagues

very nice, definitely recommended

by TripAdvisor Member Ganesh9

Actually, I would give this hotel four and a half dots--borderline five dots. I would definitely recommend the Talbott if you like simple elegance from a bygone era where everyone greeted you and there was a sense of (dare I say it?) community.

I stayed at the Talbott for four nights in Nov 2004. I have stayed in Chicago many times but always in the Loop. This was the first time I stayed in the Gold Coast area. The Talbott is very charming. It was an old apartment building and as such, there are only about 8 or so rooms per floor. There are only two elevators serving 16 floors, but the maximum wait time in the lobby was only a couple of minutes. The lobby is slipt into two sections, both of which are very small, but nice. Everything is warm and the cozy and warm and the staff is very friendly. Even the other guests are cordial and smiling (for the most part), so it's really quite a pleasant change from the big corporate hotels.

The Talbott is so close to everything, including the CTA red line stations, and you can easily walk to the Water Tower, Mag Mile, Grant Park, and the Loop. I had no idea it would be so convenient in this regard. It is right behind the 900 North Michigan shops, but it is all tucked away quite nicely on a quiet tree-lined street. I was given a room on the top floor and it was very spacious and comfortable. The view is nice but not breathtaking. I had a problem with one of the curtains but it was fixed very promptly. One of the desk chairs in the room was also very loose and wobbly, but overall it was no big deal. I would have liked to have seen a sofa rather than two arm chairs, but the room was more than adequate. The bathroom amenities are also quite nice.

A couple of things to keep in mind:

There is a lot of nightlife in the area and there are a lot of noises coming from the street, particularly along N. Rush St. well into the wee hours on weekends. If you are a light sleeper this could be a problem. Part of the problem is the A/C is wall mounted and there is basically a hole in the wall that the street sounds can travel through. The heater/radiator is also quite old but concealed under a cover. It makes an odd pinging sound now and again but never bothered me enough to be a problem.

If you like to sleep in complete darkness you will love it here. When all the blinds were drawn closed the room was pitch black. You will sleep until 12 noon and it will still be pitch black! So set your alarm because your body clock/circadian rhythm will be off and you will not be woken up by the sun!

I think it's kind of silly to have a key for the mini bar since the housekeeping staff can open it anyway, and honestly who is going to come in and steal a can of juice?

Checking in and checking out were both a breeze.

So, to sum up: the Talbott is a simple, comfortable hotel that draws its inspiration from old style American charm where people care about where they are staying. That's the impression I got anyway. There are no gimmicks or flashy extras. The staff is great and the place is definitely worth a look. I did not have a chance to visit the bar or the restaurant so I cannot comment, but they seem to be very popular. As for me I would definitely stay there again.

Comments