100 E Chestnut Street, Chicago, Illinois, 60611, United States

Booking.com Expedia.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Average

Rated 18% lower than similarly priced 3 star hotels

• Chicago's Worst Hotel

This hotel is awful. Nasty dirty bathrooms, and a staff that is rude and lazy. Don't waste your time complaining; they don't care. And don't bother to verify things with the front desk, they say one thing, and do another. Usually nothing.

I think pictures say it best, so here is one of the nasty ring around the toilet. They said it couldn't be cleaned, but when I took a towel with just a little water, (shown in pic) it started to come off.

Don't bother to put the do not disturb sign on, they will knock anyway, and won't apologize. They just don't care about their guests.

Unique Quality: The staff is horrible.

• fischerkj's Profile Photo

Great location and price!

My boyfriend and I stayed at The Tremont Hotel, off of Chestnut Street in Chicago on our last trip; it was a great place to stay as it was in between Michigan Avenue and Rush Street. Any shopping you want to do can be done on Michigan Ave and the great night life and bars are on Rush Street.

This hotel was in the perfect location and was really reasonable!

• klasher's Profile Photo

Perfect Location

I got this hotel room on hotwire.com. Although I did not know what hotel I was staying in till I purchased it, this was a great option. You can choose your star rating (4 stars) and location (Magnificent Mile area) I was 3/4 mile away from Navy Pier and right next to Mike Ditka's restaraunt. The hotel was older, well appointed and comfortable.

Unique Quality: Loved the close proximity of the lake. we ended up doing some night swimming-FUN!

• deecat's Profile Photo

Intimate European Style Hotel in Chicago

"This is magnificent. What wonderful people! We have not been disappointed. Above all, we shall remember the warmth and kindness of your people." Queen Elizabeth II to Mayor Richard J. Daley, July 7, 1959

The Tremont is located on Chestnut between Michigan Avenue and Rush Street, which is two blocks from the Water Tower.

It's elegant, upscale, and was completely restored in 1996, keeping its traditional English style. Mike Ditka's Restaurant is here also

Our room was quite lovely with its charming English decor. We had cable TV, iron, hair dryer, radio/CD player, beautiful tile bathroom, refrigerator, and room service.
    Available is two-line speaker phones and computer modems, in-room safes (Which I used), Concierge service (Which I also took advantage of.)
    The hotel has healthclub facilities, restaurant, Dry Cleaning Service, Maid Service, valet parking with In and Out privileges ($35.00 a day, and that is why we don't drive in the city).
    I've only stayed at the Tremont one time, but I would love to return to this charming European hotel.j

Unique Quality: The Tremontis only steps away from fine dining, shopping, and entertainment on Rush Street and the Magnificent Mile.

Check In Time: 3:00 p.m.
    Check Out: 12:00 p.m.

Its location is perfect for all the fine shopping locations, great restaurants, the theatre, and most of the night life in Chicago.
    It was voted the #1 Boutique Hotel and the #1 Romantic Hotel by CitySearch.com

The hotel has 130 rooms and suites and Penthouse hospitality suites feature 11-foot ceilings, fireplaces, whirlpool tubs, & wet bars
    for a much higher price.
    Note:The Tremont House (located next to the hotel) has 12 fully furnished suites with kitchens for long stays.j

• kimberbakos's Profile Photo

Quality and conevenience - Great Price!!!

Located only a block off N. Michigan Ave, you can't ask for a better location.

We got our room off Priceline, and believe it or not it was only $45 for the night. So it was by far the least expensive accomodation in the Magnificent Mile area.

Unique Quality: Voted #1 Boutique Hotel 2002 and #1 Romantic Hotel 2002 by CitySearch.com viewership!

We stayed in a two story, two bedroom, two bath suite. It was very nice, and was a FREE upgrade from a regular room. We got in too late to use the pool or fitness room.

Directions: Located on Chesnut between N. Michigan Ave and Rush St.

• witou's Profile Photo

The Tremont Hotel, amazing...

The Tremont Hotel, amazing location, great service, wonderful restaurant next door with Frank Sinatra impersonators on the weekend nights.
    US$90 to US$140 (this is not too bad for Chicago!

• Dr._Aldakov's Profile Photo

Tremont Hotel

Unique Quality: This is an hotel pretending to be luxurious... But in vain. They don't match high class of hotels. There are a lot of little details which are negligible while single but produce not very good impression in bulk.
    The best thing about this hotel is its location - right in downtown, two steps from the Hancock Tower, Also they have a good pianist in the lounge.

More about The Tremont Chicago

OVERRATED: reviews are misleading

We travel to Chicago 15-20 times per year for weekend trips and stay at many of the hotels in town. Based on write-ups of this hotel (and a cheap Expedia deal) we decided to give it a try. What a letdown! This place was actually billed as the "most romantic hotel in Chicago" by someone??? What a lie! The furnishings are a la 1965. There was hole in the wall of the bathroom near the baseboard...big..tiles falling out.
There were 3 burned out lightbulbs in the room. And there were No rooms available at check-in time (3:00pm) so we had to wait an hour...what made us laugh was the gang of 4 housekeepers lounging around laughing in one of the other rooms when we were finally allowed to check in...get it together girls! There is only ONE TINY elevator serving all floors (10?, 12?), so you can imagine what checkout time is like in the tiny cramped frontdesk area. You can do SO MUCH better than this in Chicago. Even with a discount rate, we would never return, and the regular rack rates are ridiculously high...you could get REAL luxury for the prices they ask. Hunt around online, you'll find far better places to stay, even around the Mag Mile. I don't know who this place is paying off, but I can't imagine anyone short of the Flintstones finding this decaying wreck "romantic"! Sloppy staff, shabby rooms.
Shame, shame.

You Could Do Much Better

by TripAdvisor Member wwcaterson

The warm, nicely appointed lobby doesn't prepare you for what lies upstairs. My first room: cracked and falling plaster, broken glass in the window, busted blinds, furniture in awful shape (badly scuffed with broken draws), carpet had ground in dirt, bathtub mildewed. I asked for a different room and this one was similar but did not smell as bad.
There is one small elevator that is very slow. There are no ice machines so prepare for a long wait to have someone bring it up to you (25 minutes). If "quaint" means dirty, unkept and uncomfortable, then this hotel ranks right up there with the quaintest. The location is great and the staff was friendly, and the common areas are classy, but for the money, there are much better places to stay.

Hotel Tremont.... As bad as some say???

by Achouffe

Has anyone had any actual experience of the Tremont Hotel on 100 East Chestnut Street (near Michigan Ave)? I've read the reviews here (all mid-line) and some on TripAdvisor.com (http://chicago-hotels.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g35805-d87656-Reviews-The_Tremont_Chicago-Chicago_Illinois.html)

Either people seem to be pretty happy with the place or they rip it apart in the review. For $45/night, we aren't expecting much but it would be nice to hear more.

Re: Hotel Tremont.... As bad as some say???

by lady35

I actually hotwired a room in Chicago two years ago, and it ended up being Tremont. I payed $85/night. I personally thought for that price and location the hotel was great. So, for $45, it awesome.
You are a block from the John Hancock and Michigan Ave shopping is right there. The rooms are bit small, but perfect for 2 people. Everything is so close by. I recommend the hotel.

Have Fun

Re: Hotel Tremont.... As bad as some say???

by Achouffe

For reference, here's our thoughts...

We stayed there two nights and for $45/night, it was a steal. Nice place. While quality-wise I wouldn't spend over $90, the location was spectacular and would justify paying more. Place is ever-so-slightly run down, but was clean and the workers were friendly.

If you're looking for luxary, go somewhere else. If you want location and find it cheap, this is the place.

• Minceta's Profile Photo
    Nov 20, 2012 at 4:53 AM

We (my husband and me) also stayed this year in August for two noghts at the hotel "Tremont" and I completely agree with the positive comments about this hotel, especially about its location, which is really almost perfect, especially for a short stay in the city, like ours was. I can really suggest everybody to go to this hotel while in Chicago.