909 N. Michigan Ave., Chicago, Illinois, 60611, United States

Expedia.com Travelocity Orbitz.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 23% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• Jefie's Profile Photo

Classic comfort and amazing view!

The Jane Austen Society conference took place at the Westin Michigan Avenue. Being a much bigger hotel than the Affinia, service was of course not as personalized but still, there really isn't anything to complain about. Our room was quite large and very comfortable, and the extra bonus definitely was the wonderful view of Lake Michigan! In fact, I would recommend asking for a room facing the lake, because I think that all you can see from rooms located on the other side is the massive, black shape of the John Hancock Tower, which is clearly best seen at a distance. Another thing some coffee addicts might consider a bonus (I know I did!) is that Starbucks coffee is available in all the rooms. Oh, and here's a random fact: the L.A. Dodgers also happened to be staying at the Westin!

The location on Magnificient Mile is great, especially if you plan on doing a little shopping in Chicago. One thing to keep in mind as you arrive at the Westin: the hotel looks much better inside than on the outside!

Unique Quality: There is a restaurant (The Grill on the Alley) - I didn't have time to go, but it did seem very popular!

Directions: On Magnificient Mile (North Side)

• Top spot - you'll sleep like a baby

The Westin - it's what I've come to expect from Westin Hotels around the world. The service is prompt and attentive, and amenities are top notch.

The Westin Michigan Ave. If you've stayed in once Westin, it will feel like you've walked into your second home. The lobby is spacious and when I stayed was being renovated (something which wasn't mentioned when I made my reservation - but a minor issue). The reception staff are efficient and attentive, but typical of people from Chicago don't seem to smile a great deal.

The rooms are small, but clean and comfortable. By comparison the bathrooms are massive - with quality fixtures. The toiletries provided could be better with the choice brand being the Westin's own branded product. The new Heavenly Bed is an absolute treat and on it's own is worth the price of admission. The rooms are quiet with the renovations not seeming to have much bearing on noise.

The hotel amenities are what you'd expect from a Westin. The in-house restaurant is a nice steak house - which seems packed with hungry locals and travellers day in/day out. With the Watertower and Handcock observatory across the road you're not going to be stuck for choice of food. The night life choice is staggering - enough to drive you round the bend. If you've got nieces or daughter's they probably won't forgive you if you don't stop in at the American Girl Center a short walk from the hotel.

The verdict - in short all you'd expect from a Westin, prompt service, clean, comfortable rooms, and a location which is hard to beat. Definitely deserving of the Westin brand andof course a second look.

Unique Quality: Location, location, location!
    Heavenly Bed

Directions: Across the road from the Water tower

• goingsolo's Profile Photo

Magnificent location

Location is really key with this hotel. Its at the intersection of Delaware and Michigan, right on the Magnificent Mile and overlooking Lake Michigan. It makes a great base for exploiring downtown, the museums, etc. There is a bus stop about a block away, the John Hancock Building right across the street and its only a short walk to Lincoln Park, the lake and Navy Pier.

The hotel is on the pricey side with decent sized rooms, not too bad considering space is at a premium in Chicago. The lakefront rooms have a fantastic view too. There is one restaurant advertised as "fine dining" and a more casual restaurant and bar, but there are better options, both fancy and casual, within blocks of the hotel.

I'd heard a lot of complaints about service at this hotel, and it really is hit or miss. Almost everyone was friendly and helpful, but the front desk appeared to be having a few problems.

Unique Quality: Its all about the location. There are so many things within walking distance from the hotel that you'll hardly need a bus pass, let alone a car.

Directions: Delaware and Michigan

• dlandt's Profile Photo

A very nice hotel

Ona lark, my wife and i decided to check into a downtown hotel one weekend and be tourists in our own city. We chose the Westin and found it to be very close to most of the tourist attractions the city has to offer. Almost everything would be in walking distance. the only downside I have is that it puts you smack in the iddle of downtown prices.

Unique Quality: I liked the fact that checking in was quick clean and simple, but Miyuki really liked the beds.

Directions: Next to the John Hancock Building, right on Michigan, at Delaware.

• Etoile2B's Profile Photo

Nice Hotel In the Heart of the City

I usually recommend the Westin to people coming into town for a stay. The rooms are nice and clean and a lot of them have views of the city and/or Lake Michigan. The staff is always friendly and helpful as well. They recently updated the lobby. It's a little modern (read uncomfortable) so not the type of lobby that's conducive to lounging - but it does it's job. The lobby bar is also nice. When we have had problems with anything (overbooking once) they were quick to remedy the situation and are very concerned with customer service.

Just a little FYI - this is the hotel that all the major league baseball players stay at when they're in town playing either the Cubs or the White Sox so you may encounter the occasional player. Fans usually line the street across from the main entrance hoping for a glimpse of the players on game days.

Unique Quality: It's right across the street from the Drake Hotel and the John Hancock Building, so it's centrally located. It's an easy walk to all the Michigan Avenue and Rush Street shops and restaurants. It's also a short walk to the lake front.

• The Westin

The Westin is a great hotel to stay at for those who will be doing downtown things. It is close to many bus stops, and walking distance from the Chicago ave. el stop. Don't take the price per person too seriously, as I booked on hotwire.com, and got a discount.

Unique Quality: The beds are supposed to be very comfortable at the Westin, and they are. I slept wonderfully. Valet parking is available, and the valets are very friendly. If you need a cab, the attendant outside will whistle for one. Maybe I'm just showing that I'm from a small town, but I thought that was really cool. The place has a lot of charm

Directions: Go up Michigan and turn right, unload in front of the hotel, go a little farther for valet parking.

More about The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago

Westin in the Heart of Chicago

by ATXtraveler about Westin Chicago - River North

When you are visiting the big city of Chicago in Illinois, you will be bombarded with expensive hotels to stay in. Most of my travel to Illinois has been for business, so I have the pleasure of staying in the Starwood Hotel chain when I come up here. The Westin River North is in a great vacation to be fairly centrally located in Chicago. It has easy access to the CTA train lines, a quick cab ride to Rush Street for dinner, or to the heart of the city. It also is within walking distance of the river (as evidenced by its name). Topping that off of course is the fact that you can sleep in the world famous Heavenly Bed, which really is a dream come true on the road! Walking Distance from Harry Caray's famous Steakhouse.

Westin on the Magnificent Mile

by ATXtraveler about Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago

The Westin on Michigan Avenue in Chicago is a shopper's oasis. Located smack dab in the middle of the Magnificent Mile in downtown, a shopaholic can easily get turned backwards from all the shopping. Luckily, the Westin is the home to the Heavenly Bed, and a nice relaxing bathtub to ease those tired feet.

This is not the most convienent hotel to reach by public transportation however, as when I arrived in Chicago's O'Hare, I took the Blue Line CTA train to the Red Line, and got off on the Chicago exit. I then had to schlep my bags about 5 blocks to the corner of Michigan and Delaware to get in the hotel.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay here in Chicago at the Westin Michigan Avenue and would absolutely recommend it.

Great Room

I had a great stay at the Westin Michigan Ave. I had stayed once before but this time saw that they did a great remodel. We got a corner room looking north up Michigan Ave and the room was huge. It had great amenities and I thought the staff was ok. The location is great. The only complaint was parking at $35/nite. Even though I asked, the guest service representative told me there was no self parking close to the hotel. Although I did find some just a couple blocks west of the hotel.

Westin Michigan Avenue with the Magnificent MileWestin Michigan Avenue with the Magnificent Mile

Best Room Views

by AJMes

Hey! I will be traveling to Chicago in the upcoming month and would like to know what hotel rooms provide for the best city views. Sure I will not be in my room much-but I do want a good view. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

by ljbs

From a high floor of almost any centrally located hotel you would have a very good veiw--what you would see would depend on which side of the building you'd be on. Looking east you'd see the lake, but less of the city. A few hotels that come to mind are the Drake, the Plamer House. The Hilton, the Hyhatt egency at McCormick Place, the Sheraton Chicago, the Fairmont--the list could go on, but maybe you
get the idea. I suggest you check with booking agencies. And I suppose you realize the rooms on higher floors are likely to have higher room rates.

Re: Re: Best Room Views

by pedersdottir

Hello: East-facing rooms at the Drake, Lake Shore Dr. Westin or Hilton Towers, upper floors of the new one over the 'water cannon' at the river (I think it's a Sheraton). The Palmer House is too 'boxed in' by downtown office bldgs to offer much of a view.

by latte18

I've stayed in the Westin Mich. Ave, Sheraton, Marriott Mich. Ave, and the Hyatt McCormick and the best view overall should be the Sheraton. We got a south-facing room overlooking the "green" river and the lake. At Marriott, we got an east-facing room, we couldn't see the lake because of the buildings but Michigan Avenue at night is nice, plus we got to see the fireworks display on the Navy Pier from our room. Westin, IMHO is too short and any good views would be obstructed by the John Hancock Tower, but we did get a room offering a glimpse of Michigan Avenue.

by Etoile2B

The Drake, The Westin Michigan Avenue, The W... off the top of my head... Also grab a drink in the bar at the top of the John Hancock for a great view.

Comments