Vacationrentchicago

Satisfaction No Data

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

Good For No Data

More about Chicago

Is that Bristol?Is that Bristol?

sidewayssideways

meme

memorialmemorial

Dunneenid

by dunneenid

Three seniors arriving amtrak station 26th August, departing 28th Can anyone point me to a reasonable accommodation for the 2 nights, hotels seem a little expensive We are travelling across America by train and this is the only place not yet booked Cheers Enid

by Dabs

Chicago can be an expensive city to stay in, I would suggest either bidding on Priceline or Hotwire (non cancellable, non refundable, non changeable), you'll want to check the message boards at www.betterbidding.com or www.biddingfortravel.com.

If blind bidding makes you uncomfortable, I'd suggest that you have a look at www.travelzoo.com, it's probably a little early to find good deals there for August but check back and eventually they will have something.

There is one convention in town during your dates but you should be able to still find something.

by coloradopair

My wife and I went back to Chicago (our home town) in October. A change in plans made it necessary for us to stay at a hotel in the loop for three days. We found the Central Loop Hotel. For our needs it was GREAT!!!! It's walking distance from Union Station (just a few blocks east on Adams) It is very inexpensive for a loop hotel. It is "no frills," no concierge, no big lobby, rooms are smallish. However, if you will be out and about all day and are only looking for a place to spend a good night's sleep this is perfect. It is very clean, rooms are very recently remodeled and modern, coffee in room, flat screen TV, wi-fi, ultra modern and new bathroom. CHECK PICTURES AND ROOM DETAILS ON THEIR WEB SITE. There is an attached pub/restaurant that does room service. It's convenient (1 block) to elevated and subway. If you are traveling via AMTRAK this is a great place to stay close to Union Station.

web page is http://centralloophotel.com/index.asp

When we stayed there in March our single room was under $100!!! Summer rates might be higher. Check it out.

by coloradopair

web page is http://centralloophotel.com/index.asp

by TRimer

I would try the Hampton Inn Majestic on Monroe. It is close to Amtrak and includes breakfast.

Travel Tips for Chicago

A City better than the "City"

by shellbelle88

If you usually don't take vacations to a city, you are missing a great experience. Chicago has so much. The Museum Campus is right on the water, a beautiful huge expanse of green hilly walks, and world class museums, aquarium and Adler Planetarium. ( Just ignor the huge replica of the Starship Enterprise that landed on Soldier Field.)
Chicago also has some of the world's best architecture. If you like modern, it cannot be more modern that Frank Gehry. He is cutting loose on the Millineum Park, where the famous Museum of Art is located. Elsewhere in the city there are several examples of Meis Van der Rhoe and Frank Loydd Wright's works.
The spring and falls here are truly lovely. The skyline!! Especially from a boat on the lake.

Take a ride on one of the...

by Trillgirl

Take a ride on one of the Wendella boats. They take you down the Chicago River (which runs backwards!) through the locks and out on Lake Michigan. There you get a wonderful view of the city and its spectacular skyline. Another way to see the city at its best is driving down Lake Shore Drive from the North Side or standing out at North Ave. Beach There are three things that I miss most about Chicago. One, the food. Chicagoans know how to eat. They have made pizza and hot dogs an art form. What is even better is you can find food from practically any country or ethnic group within the city limits - and its excellent.
Two, hanging out in the Bleachers at Wrigley Field on a Friday afternoon. Getting a sunburn, drinking warm Budwiser, eating a suspicious hotdog, throwing back the home runs the other teams hit, and watching the Cubbies lose, but loving them all the more.
And third, but not last, Ravinia. As a young girl I lived just a block away and could hear the music through my open window all summer long. In high school and college I spend dozens of evenings each summer sitting in the lawn with my friends... eating, drinking, laughing and listening to the Chicago Symphony Orchestra - what could be better?!?

Anthony Hopkins

by cheap_tourist

I stumbled upon the opening night of the Chicago International Film Festival last October 2. I was already on my way back to my hostel when I saw the Chicago Theatre with its famous sign lighted up and with a throng of people gathered outside. I quickly joined the crowd and learned soon enough that Anthony Hopkins was coming to promote his movie, "The Human Stain." I didn't wait long because he arrived within ten minutes. The crowd went wild--everybody wanted to catch a glimpse of the A-list star! He was interviewed by many reporters so he didn't go inside the theatre immediately. Thus, we all had the opportunity to really look at him. I left when he entered the theatre. This was a nice bonus to my Chicago trip.

Excellent Anniversary Present

by deecat

For our 44th and 45th Wedding anniversaries, our daughter Jill gave my husband Allan and I gift certificates for an hour massage for each of us at MARIO TRICOCI in Chicago

In August of 2008, as part of our continual quest for good health, Allan and I walked 17 blocks from our hotel near Millennium Park to the Tricoci Spa at 900 North Michigan Avenue. The added benefit is that we really enjoyed the luxury of the massages between the walk there and back to the hotel!

This is a beautiful spa with outstanding services. We were escorted to the spa area, given instructions and led to the appropriate dressing rooms. We were given lockers and instructed how to use the lock. Inside was a huge robe and sandals. After changing into the robe and shoes, we met at the "waiting area" and sat on a comfortable couch where soft music was playing; water and juices were provided. This year Allan and I were put into the same room, and we each had females who gave us the Swedish Massage.

After being arranged correctly on the massage table, the extraordinary Swedish Massage began.
What a treat it was....it is so relaxing and creates better blood circulation.

After the massage was done, the available services include:

A steam room
A "rain-forest' shower
A quiet room for relaxation
juice drinks

In the Relaxation room, Alland and I talked about this wonderful experience and how much we appreciated this lovely gift. Other services that are available at Mario Tricoci would be:
Manicures
Collagen injections
Body Polishes
Masks and Therapeutic Wraps
Waxing Services

Also available are Classic Spa Packages which include a basic manicure, basic pedicure, and a Swedish Massage

It certainly would be "heaven" to have such a massage once a week [dream on, Dee]

The South Side: The Museum Campus

by sambarnett

In a brilliant move on the city's part, the northbound lanes of Lake Shore Drive were moved west in 1996, creating the Museum Campus. No longer would walking from the Field Museum to the Shedd Aquarium or the Adler Planetarium mean putting ones life at risk. This also one of the best places to observe the Chicago skyline and the popular 3rd of July fireworks extravaganza.

Comments