4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Travelocity Orbitz.com Priceline.com

Costs 43% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

• silly659's Profile Photo

Modern Lodging

This is very new and modern hotel. Great for young couples. As we arrived, the lobby bar (across the check in counter) was filled with guests enjoying a drink at the bar. So it had a more lively but sophisticated feel. The decor is modern (slightly similar to the W hotels) and slightly on the dim/darker side. The staff was very nice and accomadating, though the conceierge desk could have been slightly more helpful. The rooms are typical of Westin hotels - comfortable size, great beds, plasma tv, and a modern and comfortable bathroom with great double headed showers.

It was raining during out stay, so we wished there had been a pool.

The location is great, walking distance from Magnificant mile. We love to walk - so we walked to the navy pier, the Hancock building and Millenium park.

Unique Quality: 1) Focuses on room comfort
    2) Location is optimal (bars/restaruants/attractions)
    3) Great in house bar/vibe

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

A Westin Close In...

Most of you who have read my tips are starting to realize I pretty much only stay at Starwood Properties, due to the loyalty rewards program. In my opinion, it is the best available for business travellers. I also understand that a great many of you on VT do not travel for business, so if you are looking for cheap accom, skip this tip.

The Westin is definitely a full service hotel, featuring the lovely lounge, a full service bar, and a number of good restaurants within walking distance. I am a huge advocate of leaving the hotel to dine, but for those that like to eat in a hotel... I can not help you.

The rooms feature the Heavenly Bed, a Westin Signature, and I emplore you to find a reasonable competitor to it in terms of comfort. The Heavenly shower is also a nice compliment in the morning to a weary traveler, as the two nozzles can create a great combination of misty rain and a hard massaging pulse.

The other main thing this Westin has going for it is the location. Located right in the heart of the city, all the places you can get in trouble shopping, eating, or drinking are all within a cab or metro (EL) train.

• Bob_Shan's Profile Photo

Simply the best.

Unique Quality: Great location, and in-room view of Chicago river. Surrounded by super restaurants and bars.

Directions: River North

• dgines's Profile Photo

Too Far North

This was a nice hotel it was just a little too far north from things to do. If you're willing to take taxis around that shouldn't be a problem.

Unique Quality: $10 to workout in their small gym with the latest equipment

• mrtourne's Profile Photo

Classy hotel

I've stayed at the Westin River North a few times over the years - built in what used to be the Hotel Nikko, it's saved the original asian-inspired touches (black marble, orchids, motherpearl accents, asian art) and updated it with all the comforts of the Westin chain (Heavenly Beds! YEAH!). You can't beat the location if you are working downtown, since it is very close to most of the major offices, and for the evening you are not too far from Michigan Ave and close to the House of Blues. Service has always been outstanding.

The rooms tend to be on the small side, but most have good views.

Unique Quality: Heavenly Bed, Heavenly Bath

More about Westin Chicago River North

Worst in my life

You will nolt believe it,
I made a reservation at this hotel 4 months ago. They accepted the reservation and charged my credit card. They later informed me 3 months later that they have moved me to a lower grade hotel (3.5 star, vs Westin is 4.5 star) This move was made without even checking with me. I called the manager and he told me they do it all the time, if they oversell there hotel (that it seems they do quite often) they move you to a lower grade hotel. And if the customer complains, all they have to do is be nasty. What type of world we are living in to tolerate this.

Fabulous Stay!

We arrived at approximately 11 A.M. on October 22nd. We had booked through Priceline for $99/night for two nights and weren't sure what to expect. It turned out to be an excellent value. Check-in was very smooth. We requested a king-sized bed, non-smoking because Priceline automatically sets you up with a doubles room. No problems there. We received a room on the 11th floor with a great view of the Chicago River. In the mornings, we were able to see the bridges rise and lower to allow the boats through. We really loved the Asian-themed decor. Very modern, lots of black marble, lots of Asian-inspired artwork. The staff was friendly, courteous, and more than willing to help us find the things we were looking for. Overall, we had a fabulous stay and would definitely stay there again.

Pleasant stay! :-)

by TripAdvisor Member JohannesSF

This was our first stay at the Westin River North, and we were very happy with this 4-star hotel.
THE HOTEL:
The hotel used to be the Nikko Hotel, so it still contains a Japanese minimalist luxe feel, which I really liked. The lobby itself is smart & elegant in a totally understated way (no garish brass light fixtures or tacky edwardian wallpaper here, thank goodness). The staff was very professional and courteous. I had phoned in several days before arrival and requested a single bed, and they were very incredibly accomodating and professional.
THE ROOM:
Our room was a non-smoking room on the 17th floor, with a partial view of the Chicago River and the circular "corn cob" towers, which are architecturally quite interesting. The room contained the "heavenly bed", and it was dreamy with beautiful white bedding. The room itself was spacious with 2 chairs, desk, and TV armoire. The bathroom contained a vanity with beautiful grey marble with black & off-white veining. The marble surrounded the shower/tub and the floors. The only detraction from the bathroom was that the wallpaper was starting to peel in a couple of places....just a minor thing...this could easily be remedied, and should be for a 4-star hotel. The rooms were very well sound-insulated from adjoining rooms, which is something that I really appreciated. Housekeeping was incredibly accomodating and friendly.
LOCATION:
The hotel is centrally located on the north side of the Chicago River about 4 blocks west of Michigan Ave in the area called "River North". The hotel is in walking distance to: the shops on Michigan Ave., the fabulous Millenium Park (a must see!), the beautiful architecture of the Loop, and of the red & brown line "El" trains (The El is a great way of getting around the city for places too far to walk.) We parked the car in the surface lot in front of the hotel for $19/night and we just left the car there until we checked out of the hotel. Valet service is available, but is more expensive. (Had we not been doing traveling throughout the mid-west, we would have preferred not even having the car in Chicago) There is a 'average joe' breakfast dive a block north on Clark St. called Sam's, which was a good place to grab a quick bite before heading off exploring the city. (closed Sundays).
OVERALL:
Considering the great price we paid on priceline($89/night including taxes/fees), and considering the top-notch accomodations & central location, this could not be beat. We were very happy with our stay.

Happy Travels!

Nice Stay.

by TripAdvisor Member 170612

We stayed 3 nights this past Columbus Day Weekend. The check in staff were prompt and professional. I booked this on a travel site and was not treated any differently. I was given an early checkin and a nice room. This hotel has an elegant feel to it and deserves a 4 star rating. Hotel is near public transportation from the airport. Check out was prompt and professional also.

Nice Place!

by TripAdvisor Member KeyWestFAN

Stayed at this Westin two weeks ago, no problems, no complaints. Very nice place with friendly staff. Extremely clean room & bath. Within walking distance to everything from Water Tower Place north and Buddy Guys south. Or catch a cab waiting right outside on the curb. Didn't get a chance to try the sushi bar. Bin 36 right across street for nice breakfast - and they have a wine & cheese bar. Several nice steakhouses within block or two. And Andy's jazz bar is around the corner - within stumbling distance!

Can't hold a reservation: avoid

I am a Starwood Preferred Gold and stay in Westins all over the country very frequently.

I showed up to this hotel and despite a confirmed reservation and my status with Starwood, they were unable to give me a room. This is a problem that recurs at this hotel, as you can see from a review written on this site in September:
----

To accomodate me, they offered to put me across town in a crappy Sheraton. No dice. Freezing. Midnight. And, I needed to be at the Westin for a conference at 7:30 AM, which is, of course, why I chose it in the first place.

James Bristow, the only manager on duty, was not very useful. His only suggestion was that I get a room across the street at the very run-down Hard Rock Hotel. Room cost was one-third of the Westin, which should tell you about the room quality.

This is a miserable experience and, apparently, this hotel does it frequently, even to its "preferred" customers.

I'd avoid this until the hotel figures out how to honor a confirmed, paid-for reservation.

Comments