Whitehall Hotel

The Whitehall Hotel
Orbitz.com Hotels.com Booking.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3.5 star hotels

• icamarica's Profile Photo

Old hotel with nice staff

The location is great. Just a block away from Michigan Avenue and half block from John Hancock building. The elevators are small and make some noises going up and down. I got the room on 16th floor in the corner that I think more spacious than the other rooms. The walls are thin. So request the room away from elevator. You can hear people talking in the corridor. My big bed was so comfortable. There were six soft pillows. I like them so much.
    Concierge guy, William, if i'm not mistaken, was very very very helpful. He asked what I like and give suggestion what should I see on just one day tour of the city. And his suggestion was superb!

• shohman's Profile Photo

great hotel in a perfect location.

Situated right downtown, this is a great deal and a very nice hotel considering the price vs location. You can easily walk downtown from here so it makes a good base. It is also very close to the subway. The beds are unbelievable. I didn't want to get out of bed in the morning as everything was goosedown and just so comfy.
    the only downside is if you have a car the valet charges $48!!!
    I only had a car for one day and went one street over and found a bargain at $27 :/

Unique Quality: The beds are amazing.

• Ujamaflip's Profile Photo

Well Located, but Aged Hotel

I stayed at the Whitehall hotel with colleagues during a business trip in March 2008. The hotel is in a great location, on East Delaware Road, just a minutes walk from the northern end of Michigan Avenue and 5 minutes from the water tower.

The lobby of the hotel was cramped and old, with quite a lot of people waiting around and a few people queueing for to check in. The staff were not particulary friendly or efficient, ignoring what I was asking them and interrupting me to talk on the phone. An exception was the concierge, who was wonderfully helpful!

My room was on the 11th floor, it was clean but a little musty and old looking, and was very small and cramped. The window view was of the parking garage across the street.

My colleague complained about his room as it had a strong smell of smoke, he was moved to another room but the key did not work. It took him about half an hour to sort the mess out and finally get into a room.

the stay was reasonable, but in my opinion there are better hotels in Chicago at the same, or better price levels.

• The Whitehall is a Sham

Shameful and negligent. I booked 4 rooms for my family & friends for my daughter’s wedding with a special request for late arrival, and was assured that the rooms were pre-paid and would be held. When we arrived they had given away all but 1 room and we were forced to spend the end of the night scrambling to find lodging elsewhere. And yet, THEY STILL REFUSED TO OFFER ANY REFUND. The negligence is shameful. Avoid this hotel like the plague, please.

Unique Quality: Negligent service that doesn't honor PAID reservations, and generally holds very little regard for their clientele

• awolcfh5150's Profile Photo

Half a block from the John Hacock Tower

The Whitehall is in an excellent location. It is half a block from the John Hancock Tower (you can see the building from some rooms) as well as right behind Ditka's restaurant. Your also half a block from the Magnificent Mile (Michigan Ave) and right next to Rush St. The rooms are small but well kept. The bed was wonderfully comfortable. It's still got the feel of a 1920's style hotel with all the modern conveniences. The staff was helpful and the overall experience was great!

Unique Quality: Not far from the great sites of Chicago.

Directions: Gold Coast area, next to John Hancock Tower

• deecat's Profile Photo

For European Flavor Here in Chicago, Stay At...

"I wish I could go to America if only to see that Chicago." Otto Von Bismarck, German chancellor, 1870

When my friend Marilyn told me about her new marriage, I thought and thought of what I could give her and Bruce as a gift. My husband Allan came up with the idea of treating them to two nights in Chicago. We booked them at the Whitehall Hotel because of its fabulous location and European flavor.

One of the two nights, we stayed there too, on another floor
    The hotel was built in 1927 and was renovated in 2002. It was refurbished as a European style, luxury boutique. It is located just off Michigan Avenue in the heart of the "Gold Coast" just one block from Water Tower Place. The Whitehall Hotel was selected as "one of the 8 great small hotels in the USA" according to Fortune Magazine. There are only 221 room on 20 floors. The rooms and suites are quite spacious and decorated in an elegant, understated style.
    The service is wonderful; the personnel is friendly; and the accommodations are lovely.

Unique Quality: The rooms have either a king-sized bed or two double beds (a few have one double bed). Hair Dryers, iron/ironing Board, Modem/Data Port Connection, and Cable TV in every room.
    Hotel parking is $30.50 per day.

Check In Time 3:00 PM
    Check Out Time 12:00 PM

The hotel has a fitness facility, a Lounge, and a Restaurant.
    For an elegant experience, choose the Whitehall Hotel.

More about Whitehall Hotel

A little gem - Whitehall Hotel

Recently, we spent 3 nights at the Whitehall Hotel just to the north of downtown. The lcoation was excellent - 2 blocks from Michigan Ave. & 1 mile to Navy Pier. The hotel staff were very courteous and the room was decorated very nicely with terrycloth robes. We booked a show through the concierge and was offered a town car to take us to the show -- no charge! Although we did not eat at the hotel, there are plenty of restaurants within walking distance. Very nice place to stay and reasonably priced for the downtown area.

Gracious, outstanding service

by TripAdvisor Member OklaTigerLily

The Whitehall Hotel has excellent service. OUTSTANDING CONCIERGE. The physical facility shows a bit of wear, but overall, staying at the Whitehall was an excellent experience.

Nice, but old

by TripAdvisor Member jasx67

I stayed at the Whitehall Hotel for a weekend in March. While the hotel has a great location right off Michigan Ave and close to Oak Street, it is badly in need of renovation. One of the elevators was broken the entire time so guests were forced to choose between the one working in the lobby or the freight elevator near the kitchen. The room I was in was quite spacious but the floor was noisy and the walls were thin. All in all, it was a good value, but could be better.

Had a wonderful time!

by TripAdvisor Member juliewSeabrook_Texas

We just returned from our trip to Chicago and The Whitehall Hotel was a wonderful place for us to stay. The staff was both friendly and helpful. Our room was great, wonderful furnishings, spacious, and clean. I consider myself very picky when it comes to hotels and I would highly recommend this hotel. I have read some of the other reviews on this hotel and find many to be very unfair. Yes, the pipes can be loud at times- it is an older building- but that is what gives it it's charm. There are different types of rooms, my mother's room was not as fancy as ours, but it was still nice. The location can't be beat. All in all it was a great trip and I would do it all over again.

AVOID the Whitehall at all costs!!!

by TripAdvisor Member YYZSolly

The Whitehall is listed in the publication "The Best Small Hotels in the World." Please. The Whitehall is the worst Chicago hotel at which I have ever had the malfortune to stay.

The location is excellent - one block west of Michigan Avenue. That's where the good news ends. The staff is uppity. The rooms are VERY small. The hotel is badly worn, in need of a face lift. The noise from the pipes is awful.

This is an expensive hotel. For the same price you can stay at wondeful Chicago hotels - Fairmont, Peninsula, Meridien, Intercontinental.

Do yourself a favor - avoid the Whitehall.

HoJo Downtown on La Salle or Whitehall Hotel? Can get them for the same price--which should I choose

by sabogg01

I currently have reservations at the Howard Johnson on La Salle Street, with my Entertainment Card it is going to be approx $125 a night plus tax so around $145-$150 total. I found a deal for the Whitehall Hotel that is 106 and with tax it is $126 but they charge $39 for parking, where the Hojo offers free parking. Looks like the Howard Johnson will be about $15 cheaper, any opinions on these two hotels and which would be a better option? Going to be arriving in August on a Wednesday. Thanks a bunch! :)

Re: HoJo Downtown on La Salle or Whitehall Hotel? Can get them for the same price--which should I ch

by TRimer

I personally would choose Whitehall. The HoJos was built in the 60s/70s and is at a really busy intersection. Whitehall is off of Michigan Avenue.

Comments