theWit Hotel

theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton
Booking.com Priceline.com Tingo.com

Costs 25% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• Not worth your money

This place is pretty weak. A bunch of wannabe's. All there is a bunch of Eastern European men trying to act like they have money with a bunch of gold digging ugly girls trying to get with them. Seriously, I looked around and everyone there is not attractive but they have big pupils with dollars signs in them. I'd ra...ther go somewhere else with people that actually have money. Poser Galore.

• tetonski1's Profile Photo

A Unique Treasure in the Heart of the City!

From the minute you pull up in front of this gem you know you're in for something different. The architecture of the building has cool clean lines and windows galore! I was told that the owner wanted to give his guests the total city experience, so the windows let you know you are right in the middle of it all, including the elevated train station that resides next door. But don't worry about the city noise though, the windows are amazingly soundproofed. You also are in the theater district so it's a great place to stay if seeing a show at one of the many fine theaters or can walk to the business district, to the lake, or to Michigan Avenue's Mag mile!

The rooms are very crisp and clean with a modern design, and the restaurant was nice, but there are so many excellent restaurants like Petterino's within a close walk in the theater district that I would suggest you go outside of the hotel and explore when it comes to dining.

Though I would dine out, I definitely suggest heading back for cocktails afterwards and take the elevator straight up to the rooftop bar and lounge. With 2 outdoor patios you will enjoy sweeping views of the city including the Bean and the lakefront. One small patio has a glass fence so stay out if you have vertigo. The other patio is heated and has wonderful views as well.

Prices are pretty average for where the hotel is located, cocktails are around $12-15 but worth it for the ambiance. The appetizers are good, priced around $7 - $15. Advice: Get there early because it can get really crowded and have a wait, especially on nice summer evenings.

Unique Quality: Don't think your crazy when you walk to your room, the hallways have piped in crickets chirping in at night, and birds singing in the morning.

Every floor has a different artist theme. You can stay on the Madonna floor where it is decorated in her style and has her belongings framed on the wall like Planet Hollywood, or on Jimmy Hendrick's floor with purple everywhere.

Directions: A couple of blocks to the North is the Chicago River, one block south is the Theater District and the Chicago Theater, there is the lakefront and Michigan Avenue about 3 blocks east.

More about theWit Hotel

Fantastic Hotel in the Loop

by TripAdvisor Member SXM1987

I must say my experience at the Wit Hotel over the 4th of July weekend--was an enjoyable, fantastic one. From the time you enter the hotel---the aroma of the lobby tells you are not in a regular Doubletree property. My check in was smooth--done by Hayli at the front desk. The lobby, while small, does give you an idea of things to come while on your stay at the Wit.

Since I am a Hilton Diamond Member I was upgraded to a fabulous King Junior Suite on the 26th floor. The Junior Suite was equipped with a kitchen, stainless steel refrigerator, microwave, cups of various sizes, wine glasses, eating utensils---everything you need to feel at home at the Wit. Some minuses are the lack of a trash bin in the kitchen area, paper towel to dry hands. None the less it was a great added benefit.

The room was an impressive size---comparable to any one bedroom apartment you will find in the center of major cities like NYC or Chicago. I had not one but three closets, plenty of storage space, and high ceilings--floor to ceiling windows that flood the room with natural light.

The staff will a bit green since the hotel opened in June of 2009, were extremely helpful, friendly and efficient. Housekeeping was wonderful as well. My room was spotless everyday.

There is a roof top lounge on the 27th floor that is extremely busy. So be prepared for the added traffic on the elevators of people who are not guests of the hotel. On the weekends it is extremely busy since the roof top is the new hot spot of Chicago.

Overall I would definitely use the Wit again. A beautiful hotel near all the hot spots in the Loop. Please be sure to check it out for your next stay in Chicago.

Stay here if you want TERRIBLE service, but a very nice room. Please read my pros and cons.

by TripAdvisor Member Chl0e01

Cons:
We had reservations, when we checked in, at 4pm, the lady told us they had one room left. Then they gave it to the guy next to us checking in and made us wait an hour to get a room clean. We asked about if there was any self-park park around and she acted discusted and said "well we have valet". I told her we didn't want valet, and she said she had no idea we would have to ask valet, it wasn't her department. At 11 pm we hear someone trying to key into our room, then knock. (I had double locked the door) We answered the door and it was hotel staff with some new patrons. He says "oh are you guys assigned to this room?", we said yes, and he said "well we thought it was already assigned to someone" then immediately we get a phone call wanting to know if we were suppose to be in there and what name it was under. Then at midnight we go check out the weight room, we come back and our keys don't work. They had deactivated them when they assigned our room to someone else. Then at 4 am we hear knocking loudly and the telephone ringing for quite some time on the neighbors room/door. It literally was one thing after another there.

Now for the pros:
The location was great, right by the river walk, and very close to Michigan Ave. The hotel is very clean. Our room was spacous. The room had a huge closet, a big screen tv, a nice glass walk in shower, a real hairdryer (not the standard hotel ones), alarm clock you can plug your ipod into, very nice view of the city and river walk, The bathroom was elegant. The weight room was awesome. There are several ellipticals, free weights, and treadmills. There is a yoga room, complete with all the ammenities you need; there is even a place where you can plug your ipod into the wall so it comes over the speakers.

If it weren't for all the goof ups of the staff, this would of been a nice hotel, and I would of given it 5 stars. However, it was one thing after another with them, so there is no way I can recommend it to anyone who is trying to have a nice stay.

Trying to be a boutique, but not quite there....

by TripAdvisor Member aprilinlondon1970

We stayed the nights of July 17th and 18th. The hotel is sleek and modern, with some beautiful feminine touches in the lobby.

The staff was friendly and had no problems moving us to a room away from the elevator when requested (moved from 1705 in front of elevator to 1714). The rooms aren't well insulated, so the interior noise was pretty bad (guests returning from the Roof bar at 4 in the morning and ordering room service). That said, the exterior noise, like the El, wasn't bad at all.

The rooms are smartly decorated and the bed was quite comfortable. No pay per view movies on the tv, which was disappointing for us. The bathroom had a sliding door which didn't really close completely, which would probably be a little awkward if you were traveling with a friend and not a partner. Very shallow (but modern) sinks....just don't turn the water on full blast. The shower was the highlight of the room. Large, with lots of room to move around, great water pressure, and adjustable massaging head.

Room service was a little slow and not completely thorough, but food tasted quite good. Room service phone attendant wasn't well versed in menu items.

State and Lake restaurant was very good for breakfast, and the ambiance is nice. The ROOF was the highlight of the trip...gorgeous views, tasty (but expensive) drinks. We sat at the uncovered bar and it was gorgeous, the bartenders super friendly. This is not a place to get drunk...it's a place to see and be seen.

If you are looking for a romantic hotel, I would say this isn't the best choice. Places like the Amalfi, with Aveda spa toiletries and the complimentary on-floor continental breakfast (throw on some shorts and bring your partner chocolate croissants in bed) are a better choice for the price. But if you are looking for a place on trend, theWit, with the ROOF is spot on...and guests don't have to wait to go up (we saw lots of folks turned away!)

Great hotel in a fantastic locaton!

by TripAdvisor Member redwoodyonge

This hotel is in an excellent location for anyone visiting Chicago. The staff were very friendly. We arrived around noon and although I expected to store our bags, they were able to give us a room almost immediately. Our room was very comfortable and we heard very little noise from the corridor (we stayed for 6 nights). We had dinner in the State/Lake restaurant one evening and service was excellent. I would like to see sample menus from the different restautrants in the rooms however as this would have made our choice easier. The Roof seems to be the place to be seen and there is one express elevator for those visiting but all lifts go there which meant that there was a bit of a wait for the lift. This small matter would not prevent me from staying at this hotel again.

Great Location

by TripAdvisor Member Thefishy4

We arrived in late afternoon on Friday and had no difficulty checking in - we received warm cookies on arrival. The bell hop was extremely pleasand and helpful.
The room is small for four adults, but not too cramped. Very modern decor was appealing. The view of the river from our room was amazing, and we were just in a standard double queen room on the 10th floor.
The only issue is that the rooftop bar is extremely popular and there were crowds around the hotel from about 6 pm on - both Friday and Saturday night. The hotel staff does what they can to minimize disruption, but we were approached as we walked out of the hotel and asked to sell our room key. Overall it was a good experience and I would return there.

Well, I was forewarned

by TripAdvisor Member Traveler1Denver_Co

When I got in the cab at O'hare and told the driver that I was staying at The Wit he laughed. He warned me that the bar/restaurant on the roof of The Wit was the place to be in Chicago. He also told me that you had to be 30 or younger. He was right. The lobby is small and cramped. After 4pm it is a hopeless mess to get through to your room. The rope line runs outside but the lobby is too small to handle the crowd. The elevators from 4pm on are packed and the amount of perfume and cologne in the elevators is astonishing. You need oxygen to make it to your room. The rest of the hotel is quirky and a little fun. One thing you will find out very quickly is that square sinks look nice but are totally impractical and impossible to use. The rooms are a tech person's dream. The wireless is wonderfully fast and easy to use. The rooms are suprisingly quiet and nicely decorated. I will let you find out for yourself about the sounds in the hallways...pretty cool touch. The staff is young and superficial...but so is everyone else in the hotel. The restaurant is likely the darkest place you will ever eat. You can't read the paper or for that matter see two feet in front of you. Food was good. I want to tell you to avoid the place if you are over 30, but it just has too many cute things to really trash it. So, you too are forewarned ,but enjoy it if you can.

Loved it

by TripAdvisor Member 050710d

I stayed @ the Wit hotel w/my 3 children ages 15, 12 & 8. It's not really a family hotel (no pool) but still has lots of benefits b/c the location is so great (walking distance to Millenium Park, easy access to museum campus, navy pier, etc).

The rooms are chic & comfortable. We were there on a Monday & Tuesday nights & the hotel was very quiet.

We did go to Roof late afternoon for a bite to eat & drink. It is incredible. Beautiful design & views. Not a place for little kids & not a place for under 21 in the evening.

Nice workout facility.

Would be a great place for a couples getaway, girls weekend, business, etc. Good value for the money.

Everything was Perfect...Except....

by TripAdvisor Member cashmerequeen

The Wit is a gorgeous hotel in a wonderful location. The decor is fabulous, the room was immaculate and spacious, the food in the gastropub was superb, the fitness facility better than most, great view, direct to public transport, wonderful service.

BUT (this sounds so petty) the water pressure in the shower was the worst I have EVER had in a hotel. In fact, I've bathed at camp grounds that had better water pressure. It was so low that I couldn't rinse the shampoo out of my hair....and I was cold standing inside the shower because there wasn't enough water to warm me. This was so unexpected because everything else was so great.

The other little issue is their fridge and minibar. It's on a sensor. So, when I opened the fridge and placed a bottle of water inside to keep cold, I was charged $29. Why? Because everything my water bottle touched was charged to my room--even though I didn't eat or drink a thing. When I returned to the room my water bottle was removed from the fridge and left sitting on the coffee table. The front desk removed the charge when I called. So, I guess you can't use the fridge at all. Glad I'm not diabetic and need to keep my insulin cold!

Too bad. If it wasn't for the water issue, I would stay again in a heart beat. They really should do something about that!

Comments