Econo Lodge Decatur

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Decatur

Millikin university

by loughran_s

i am currently studying at queens university belfast northern ireland, however i have recieved a placement to study a year in millikim university decatur. i was wondering if you could tell me anything about the university and the life surrounding it, like what is there to do in decatur, is millikin near the city??

Re: Millikin university

by yooperprof

I don't like to be harsh, but Decatur is one of the least appealing places that I've ever passed through. It's so flat. There's a good reason that there are no VT photos of Decatur - there's very little worth photographing there. The town is too large to be quaint or comfortable, and too small to have any real concentration of culture. Flatness pervades. Decatur is dominated by a few large industrial corporations which haven't put much into the community. There have been some ugly labor and racial conflicts there in recent years. And did I mention that Central Illinois is flat?

Re: Re: Millikin university

by ljbs

Millikin University is in the city of Decatur which has a population af around 115,000. I don't know much about Decatur, but I have a friend who has a degree in music from Millikin and she says she she got a good education and enjoyed her time there. The music department is quite big and as a result there is a lot of music to be heard in town.
It's true that the land around there--acutally in much of Illinois and the midwest--is flat, but there is beauty to be found the the prairie. The flatness of the land. of course makes driving to Chicago about a 3 hour drive, and probably faster to St. Louis. But as a Chicagoan, I'd recommend frequent trips to my city.

Jane

RE: Millikin university

by juliovasquez

I am originally from Decatur where Millikin is located. If you have any specific questions feel free to send me an email.

Julie