11334 Oldenburg Lane, Galena, Illinois, 61036, United States

Country Inn & Suites Galena
CountryInns.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

• chickky311's Profile Photo

A Nice Family Friendly Hotel

I would probably call this your average, run of the mill hotel. I was there in December, so it was the off season and I hardly saw anyone else while I was there, so I'm not sure what it would be like in the busy season. Its a pretty new hotel, and the room was very clean with fairly nice furnishings. The staff were all very friendly. Room rates vary depending on the season.

Unique Quality: They have a really good continental breakfast, with all kinds of pastries, cereal, bagels, juice, fruit, coffee, etc. There's also a nice swimming pool with a waterslide that would be a lot of fun for kids.

Directions: Just off of US 20 (I believe this is also Main St) right past the strip mall.

More about Country Inn & Suites by Carlson Galena

Great, no complaints

We spent one Friday night in Aug. We also stay at the Country Inn back in '02, no complaints.
Hotel staff very friendly. The hotel is nice nothing fancy just nice. Short ride (5-10 minutes) to Main Street for shopping and restraunts. Our room was clean and in order, but very humid, didn't make my sinus issue happy. We weren't sure if it was muggy because we were on the ground floor or just because of the warmth from the day.
They do have a pool w/ slide but we didn't use it.
Complimentary breakfast was all the basics, juices, milk, cereal, donuts, ect. What we had was good. Its nice when a hotel can offer that so you don't have to run out first thing in the morning.
All in all no issues at this hotel, we'll stay again on the next trip to Galena.

Nice hotel with great swimming area

by TripAdvisor Member aclone

We stayed at the Country Inn in early December and the hotel was quite full. Our room was good sized and was clean and comfortable. We had a roll away bed brought in and there was plenty of room to use it. The service was very good and there was really nothing negative to report.

The pool area was great with a small waterslide and fairly large pool. They also included some balls and other water toys which made for additional fun for the kids. We were in Galena to ski at Mt Chestnut and the hotel was well located for the stay. It does get busy as we wanted to stay again over Christmas break but had to stay at another hotel.

Awesome- recommend highly for families!!!

by TripAdvisor Member tchrchgo

Wow- we had an amazing night here last nite. We were escaping from an awful "waterpark" in the dells and decided to stay in Galena rather than coming right home. I was so glad we did! Right away from the outside, the hotel is beautiful, homey, and welcoming. When we walked in, there were fresh apples, oranges, and cookies to greet us. The staff were friendly, and bent over backwards to help. Used AAA and got a great rate, with a room 2 doors from the pool. The pool area was great and very small child friendly. While not what I would call a "waterpark," there was a small wading pool (ranging from 1/2 ft to 1 ft in depth) with a large frog mini water slide right in the middle. The stairs up the slide had a nonstick coating, and my two 3 yr olds had great fun with the minislide- it was just perfect for them. The main pool was also child friendly- it started at 3 ft and maxed out at 4 feet deep. So with their floaties, my preschoolers were able to swim with us in the main pool with no problem. The whirlpool was immediately next to the minislide, so my dh and I could take a few minutes to soak while easily keeping an eye on our kids in the gated, well secured minislide area.

The room was very comfortable, nothing fancy. Met our needs well.

The continental breakfast was amazing! There were hard boiled eggs (with no shells!), 3 kinds of cold cereal, oatmeal, freshly made waffles, all kinds of bagels, fresh donuts, yogurt, sausage links, orange and cranberry juice, milk, coffee, tea. We went twice- early in the AM and then again before we checked out- and everything was as well stocked at the end of breakfast as it was when they opened!

We plan to visit Galena several times a year just so we can return to this hotel!!

Okay Hotel but Your Kids will Love the Pool

by TripAdvisor Member DRGWAGMOM

While the outside of this property presents well, as does the lobby, the rooms are average at best. Bedspread and carpets look very worn although the rest of the room was clean. What would prompt me to make another reservation was the pool. Our children loved it and the cost of the room alone was worth the enjoyment they had swimming. It's advertised as a waterpark --- which is a REAL stretch. Basically, there's a small kiddie pool with frog slide and a large pool with a "medium" slide. However, given the ages of our children (8 and 4) it was perfect and they completely enjoyed themselves. They also have an "arcade" which is a room with, maybe, 7-9 video games, two pool tables and an air hockey table. Again, my husband and I weren't too impressed but our kids enjoyed it.

We did not take advantage of the free breakfast but instead tried the Courtyard Restaurant at the DeSoto Hotel with was very good ... highly recommend it!

Fun place to stay with family

by TripAdvisor Member jennydran

I stayed at this hotel when in town for a wedding, with my husband, my sister and my parents. We loved the rooms, I had a regular room and my parents and sister had a suite. I thought the front desk staff was very helpful and gave me plenty of maps to help me find my way about town. The pool was incredible, but watch out for the mean pool staff because they yelled at us for having too much fun on the water slide. Who knew there was a "required" way to go down that thing?! Whirlpool was very relaxing too.
The breakfast was very delicious-plenty of choices, delicious waffles. I love Country Inns because they have a book exchange too, where you can bring a book and borrow a book and upon your next stay to a Country Inn chain, you can bring the book you've read back.
Neat idea.
I would definitely stay here again, but might exercise a little more caution around the pool area.

Good choice for a family

by TripAdvisor Member lizam

Our family stayed here while we went skiing at nearby Chestnut Mountain. The staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful. We were able to check in early and change before we left to ski. Our room was spacious and adequate for 3 teenagers and 2 parents. It was really home-like.. always fruit, cookies and coffee available. The pool was fun and a nice game room. Check-out time was noon so we didn't feel a bit rushed. The room was clean and beds were comfortable (although my son said the pull-out couch was not). We had originally booked the Best Western Quiet House but I'm glad we changed. That one was going to charge us $20. extra for each of our kids and they didn't seem to offer the amenities of this one.
The breakfast here was also very adequate for this kind of hotel.

Water slide is fun for kids

by TripAdvisor Member GS-CS_leader

We stayed at this hotel while skiing at Chestnut Mountain. The room was pretty typical for a mid-price hotel. It was clean and the carpet and bedding were typical: neither new nor noticably old. Our room had two queen beds, a dresser with tv, a small desk and two chairs, and sitting chair. The wireless internet was free, but there was a problem with their internet service the night we were there so my husband could view webpages, but could not download files from his company's website.

The best aspect of the hotel for my family was the pool. After skiing, we had gone out to dinner with friends, so it was my kids' bedtime by the time we checked in. But we let them have some time at the pool anyway.

My son had a blast going down the long corkscrew water slide over and over. There were no staff to tell him not to go down head first. I'm wondering if the other reviewer was scolded at the pool because they were making too much noise at too late an hour. I think the pool stays open until midnight. I was surprised that families with young children were still coming into the pool area at 10pm when we left. And the pool was filled again with kids when we checked out at 8am.

My daughter and I enjoyed soaking in the spa. The towels at the pool were kept resupplied and they were so freshly laundered that they were still warm. However, the one definite negative apsect of the pool area was that the water must have been very heavily chlorinated because my eyes stung as soon as I walked into the pool area, even before I had any water on my face. Perhaps it was the water in the baby wading pool with the big frog slide in it that they had chlorinated heavily in anticipation of the urine that inevitably is discharged into baby pools.

The included breakfast was quite good. There was a staff person making fresh waffles which could be served with strawberries and whipped cream or syrup. There were hard boiled eggs and Yoplait yogurt. There were also the usual muffins, donuts, cereal, juice, milk, coffee and tea.

A great time

by TripAdvisor Member Dandy07

I stayed here with my two children ages 10 and 7. We loved the hotel. The pool was great, slide was lots of fun. Room was really nice. Breakfast in the morning was great. Nice selecation for breakfast from fresh made waffle, sausage, bagels, cereal, oatmeal and fresh fruit. The cookies in the lobby are a nice touch. This hotel is a great deal for all you get. Game room was nice, not to much to do there but enough. Hotel was nicely decorated. All the hotel staff were very friendly.

Excellent Experience

by TripAdvisor Member rward2121

We booked this through hotwire the day before we went. I'm unhappy with Hotwire for pricing issues, but this isn't about them.
The hotel was immaculate. Our room was very spacious, had a whirlpool bath (she upgraded our room because of the prob with Hotwire), and very very clean.
Free wireless internet that actually worked also was available, and we used it.
Since we were there only for one night, we didn't get to use the pool - it was closed by 10 p.m. when we got back from our day's activities. The pool had a pretty large tube slide, and there was a smaller pool for children with a smaller tube slide.
The room was very quiet. There was an unbelievable breakfast spread - coffee, juices, your regular carbs (a couple types of bread, bagels, donuts, muffins), biscuits and gravy, waffles (and not the kind you put in to a toaster!), sausage, oranges, apples, hard boiled eggs, cereal, and probably other things I am forgetting. Fantastic!
The staff couldn't have been nicer to us.
We need more hotels like this one!

Comments