DeSoto House Hotel

deecat's Profile Photo

Ladies Weekend at the Desoto Hotel

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 10, 2007

For my second stay in the DeSoto Hotel in Galena, I joined in on the Ladies Weekend this September 7-9, 2007. My dear friends, Jill, Mickey, and Marcia joined me for this delightful event.

I made the reservation more than a month in advance, and was able to obtain the last two Kind-sized bed rooms in this large hotel. I questioned why it was so busy in September, and the receptionist informed me that it was the ever-popular "Ladies Weekend.

Our rooms were not close to each other, but they were both on the third floor and faced the courtyard [an inside courtyard]. Although they were very nice rooms, they lacked outside views. When you looked out the window, you were looking down upon the Courtyard Restaurant below.

The rooms in this hotel are all given names. Mickey and I stayed in Room 328 which was James Russelll Lowell's Room [he is an American poet and Writer]. The room was smaller than the one I stayed in when Allan and I celebrated our 40th Wedding Anniversary. It had a king-sized bed, one chair, a chest with a television, a closet, desk with mirror, bedside tables, and a rather large bathroom.

Unique Quality: DeSoto Hotel is historic, beautiful, and well maintained. It does not have the fancy features of more modern hotels, but it does have charm. I was glad that the bathroom had a hair dryer because I did not bring my own.

The king-sized bed was very firm, quite comfortable, and attractive.

Photographs:

1. My Room [#328, James Russell Lowell Room]
2. The Courtyard View from our Room
3. Our Door That Identifies #328, James Rusell Lowell and No Smoking

deecat's Profile Photo

Historic Hotel in Galena

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 5, 2007

The Photographs were taken on this trip in May, 2007 because I did not have photographs of the outside in 2003.

On our 40th Wedding Anniversary in August of 2003, Allan and I stayed one night at the famed DeSoto House Hotel in the heart of Galena, Illinois.

Once you walk in the door, you know that you have stepped back in time, and you'll understand why such famous guests as Abraham Lincoln (He spoke from the balcony of the hotel in 1856), Ulysses S. Grant, Mark Twain, Teddy Roosevelt, and Susan B. Anthony have also stayed here.

When the Illinois Central Railroad came to Illinois, a group of local investors built a grand hotel in Galena to reflect the town's prosperity. The total building costs were reported at $85,000.00. Can you believe that at first, only men were allowed to enter the Hotel through the front door from Main Street! The "Ladies Entrance" was at the side of the Hotel. The tin ceiling, stained glass windows, and the curved staircase are all original. Despite economic famine, fire, and floods, the DeSoto House has survived and is doing well today. It's certainly a reminder of days gone by.

The rooms are over sized with high ceilings, beautiful decor, and antique furniture.
We ate breakfast at The Courtyard Restaurant, which is a lovely four story atrium; we ate dinner at The Generals' Restaurant which is named in honor of Galena's 9 Civil War Generals.

Unique Quality: Allan and I stayed under a deal called "Memories are Forever which included the room (We stayed in the Ulysses S. Grant Room which was a corner room with windows all around), dinner for two in Generals' Restaurant, two DeSoto House Champagne Glasses, DeSoto House Champagne, a long-stemmed red rose with baby's breath, breakfast, and Galena Chocolates.

Needless to say, it was a remarkable package deal. We loved every minute of it because the room was huge with a lovely up-to-date bathroom; service was fantastic, and the food was delicious. It made our 40th anniversary quite special.

Nearby DeSoto House Hotel

• Business Services
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

Galena Travel Forum

Need advice about Galena, Illinois? Visit the Travel Forum for Galena and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Galena hotel reviews

Shopping
Belvedere House & Gardens
Great Food, Bad Waitress
Restaurants
"The Pizza With the Golden Crust"
A Delightful Environment While You Eat
An Ice Cream Tradition
Award Winning Restaurant in Galena
Raining? Order Out For Delivery
Restaurants
"Where Steak is King, Lobster is Queen"!
Named in Honor of 9 Civil War Generals
Tourist Traps
Grant statue in Grant Park
Grant Park
Things to Do
Don't miss the 'Tri-State...
The Ulysses S Grant Home
Alpine Slide,
Bicycle Rentals,...
Off The Beaten Path
Visit Civil War General and...