Galena Log Cabin Getaway

Enclosed Porch of Belvedere MansionEnclosed Porch of Belvedere Mansion

TIps for Galena in December

by Pettine

Hello Everybody !
I'm going to spend a few days in Galena next week with my husband and haven't found a lot of things to do. I was there once in March so I know the town a little bit. But besides walking through the town and having a nice lunch or dinner somewhere, it doesn't seem like there's a lot going on in winter. The winery's tours end in October, one restaurant that a friend recommended is closed next week.....At least I didn't find a lot on the web - and there's no snow in sight for a sleigh ride or snowmobiling.

Does anybody have ideas/tips ?

Thanks a lot & happy holidays to you !
Pettine

by dlandt

Hello Pettine,

Well.... this may sound quirky, but if you went into Rockford there is this really cool store for used books and collectibles called Toad Hall. I don't have anything for Galena itself but you would be in the general area. If this interests you and I think maybe its a 10% chance that it does, I have a VT tip up on my Rockford page to give you directions.

Pax Etterna

Dave

by pedersdottir

Hello:
If you haven't yet been there you might want to visit the home of President US Grant. Sometimes there are stage shows at the historic old hotel downtown (check when you arrive). Also - have you driven through the Galena Territory ? The Eagle Ridge Inn on that property would be a great place to go for lunch or dinner. Driving the grounds is like travelling through a well-maintained nature park. And Dubuque, Iowa is MUCH closer than Rockford - has an interesting old downtown area with buildings including a quaint jailhouse to see. (Just be sure to bring adequate change for parking meters - the police in Dubuque are rather unforgiving!)

by Andi14

Hi Pettine,

Not sure how active you two are, but Chestnut Mountain ski & snowboard resort is about 8 miles from Galena and makes its own snow! There are a variety of ski trails ranging from the bunny hill (which I frequented) to more advanced courses. And you can arrange lessons as well, which make a fun date! Have a nice trip!

~Andi

Travel Tips for Galena

The Diagonal

by Toughluck

I like Diagonal Street. Not sure why it's here, but it's the only street out of line with the nearly perfect grid of streets around town. I mean, this place has a very steep hills (as a matter of fact Hill Street (see tip)), yet the streets are nearly squared off. Diagonal goes with the slope, not right up it.

It also let me use my panoramic feature to good effect.

Overview of a Wonderful Weekend in Galena

by deecat

Photographs:

1. Beautiful Church Steeple in Galena.
2. Delicious Food in Galena [this was breakfast at the Courtyard Restaurant at the DeSoto House Hotel.
3. Belvedere Mansion in Galena.
4. Four Friends during Ladies Getaway Weekend: Dee, Mickey, Marcia, & Jill.
5. Statue of General Grant in the Grant Park in Galena.

My three friends, Mickey, Marcia, and Jill, are all English teachers. Marcia is the only one who is not retired. We decided that we needed a Ladies Getaway Weekend. We used Jill's Ford, and Mickey and I did all the driving.

We arrived in Galena about 8:00 p.m. on Friday, September 7, 2007. [It's a 3 1/2 hour drive from our homes]. We had beautiful rooms in the DeSoto House Hotel. That night we ate pizza, talked, and went to bed about midnight.

Saturday we had breakfast in the hotel , shopped, had a wine tasting/buying, took a walk to the park, ate lunch and dinner. After dinner, we had ice cream at our favorite ice cream parlor. Early Sunday morning, Mickey and I took a nice walk around town and to the park. We ate Sunday Brunch at the hotel.

After we check out of our hotel, we then drove to Dubuque, Iowa and shopped at what I call the "Bluff Shops". We then drove back over the Mississippi River and took a guided tour of the elegant Belvedere Mansion. Once the tour was over, it was time to say goodbye to lovely Galena.

We really hated to leave because we had so much fun, because we all love
to shop in the great shops, because we all love architecture and history, because we love good food and ice cream, and because we cherish our long-time friendship.

Don't miss the 'Tri-State...

by sambarnett

Don't miss the 'Tri-State View' tower a few miles east of town along US-20. On a clear day one can see all the way into Wisconsin and Iowa, but the beautiful, rolling countryside of the immediate Driftless Region takes the prize. Note, it is not handicapped accessible.

Galena

by Sage49

I took a troubled high school kid to Galena for a relaxing weekend. She challenged me, and I gave her back. And in the end, we exchanged a bear hug. I guess you just have to try. She will be graduating this year. Congrats, girl.

water lilies

We got on a boat and sailed down the Mississippi river.
We saw a bald eagle.