9001 Sand Hill Road, Galena, Illinois, 61036, United States
More about Galena
Flatiron Building at Diagonal and Main Streets
Galena from the River Levee
Mickey at Arbor in Grant Park, Galena
The Winery Shop Sign
Travel Tips for Galena
Hill Street (blues?)
Hill Street isn't the only street with a hill, but it's a great one for showing the impact on town design. The city is laid out in a traditional midwest, surveyed grid. Only unlike much of the Midwest, the hills here are a bit too steep. So what gives? The roads, or should I say the legs of anyone who walks around town.
When the hills become too steep, the road either disappears or it becomes a stairway. An be careful using the on-line maps when plotting routes through Galena. It shows Hill Street as driveable it's entire length, in spite of the stairs shown here.
Old Galena High School
1. Old High School from a Distance [taken from Grant Park.
2. Close up of the Old High School.
3. Photo of steps that lead up to the Old High School
One of the most impressive sights is to see the Old High School atop the hillside looking down on the beautiful small town of Galena.
On our Trolley Tour, we learned some interesting facts about this beautiful building.
It was built in 1905 after the previous school burned down. They stopped using this school in 1980.
They sold the school, and it was converted into condominiums called Galena Green Condominiums.
They are so named because they are located on Green and Commerce Streets.
What spectacular views they have of the town!
Another bit of information that the tour guide told us was the steep steps called "the high school steps" that the students had to climb to and from school each day. I'll bet there were not too many "chubby" students during that time period!
Vist These Great Old Structures
I decided to include four important structures that I feel are important to see in Galena into one tip.
1. My all-time favorite home in Galena, the Belvedere Mansion at 1008 Park Avenue [815-777-0747] This was built in 1857 and is called an "Italianate/Steamboat Gothic Mansion" that has 22 rooms. It has been restored, and it is furnished with antiques [including pieces used on the set of "Gone With the Wind"!] It is open from Memorial Day-October Daily.
2. Washburne House State Historic House at 908 Third Street, [815-777-3310]. Built in 1843, this is a Greek Revival home. Major additions were made in 1859 and 1860. The entire first floor has been restored. It tells the story of Elihu B. Washburne, the man who did the most to promote the cause of Ulysses S. Grant. Grant's election night news was received in the library via telegraph. Open ONLY ON FRIDAYS from 10:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m. May through October. Staffed by volunteers from the International Order of Questers, Galena Belles Chapter 1304.
3.Galena Post Office and Customs House at 110 Green Street [815-777-0225]
It was built in 1857-1859 from Nauvoo limestone and is a Renaissance Revival building. It's the second oldest continuously operating post office in the United States and the first to be named.
4. Dowling House is located at 220 Diagonal Street [815-777-1250]. It is Galena's oldest as well as Illinois' oldest stone home. In 1826 it was a trading post for miners and residence that was furnished with primitives, artifacts, and antiques. It showcases Galena pottery. 30 minute tours are available.
Annual Easter Weekend
"Weekend Away from the City"
I discovered Galena ten years ago while in law school. The first place I stayed at was a log cabin which as lovely as it was was also $185.00 per night. I enjoyed the whirlpool immensely. Then, five years later, I came back and found the Snoop Sisters Inn which has been my constant accomodation every year. I love the quaint boutiques with the quirky merchandise, the movie theaters in Debuque, miniature golf, great restaurants and spas. Galena is a place where you can
View all Galena hotels
View all Galena hotels
Latest Galena hotel reviews
- Chestnut Mountain Resort
- 112 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 21, 2014
- Longhollow Point Condominiums
- 15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 12, 2014
- Eagle Ridge Resort & Spa
- 322 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 19, 2014
- Worldmark Galena
- 32 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 12, 2014
- The Irish Cottage Boutique Hotel
- 392 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 18, 2014
- Tierra Linda Bed and Breakfast
- 189 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 30, 2013
- DeSoto House Hotel
- 250 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 15, 2014
- Country Inn & Suites by Carlson Galena
- 166 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 20, 2014
- Cloran Mansion Bed & Breakfast
- 443 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 18, 2014
- Farmers' Guest House
- 695 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 11, 2014
We've found that other people looking for this hotel also know it by these names:
- Goldmoor Hotel Galena
Address: 9001 Sand Hill Road, Galena, Illinois, 61036, United States