9853 US Route 20 West, Galena, Illinois, 61036, United States

Irish Cottage Boutique Hotel
Booking.com eDreams Priceline.com

Costs 88% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• NOT a boutique

This hotel is not a "boutique". It is a remodeled chain hotel. The exterior is not represented well by the photos on the web site and seeing the image on google represents it better.
    Admittedly the remodeling in the lobby and restaurant is very nice, but the rooms still need some attention. They have a nice selection of whisky and scotch at the bar, and they're a relatively good deal considering a tap beer is $6. The live entertainment was not up our alley. All the staff was friendly and nice.
    Our bed was not that comfortable and the room had a funny smell if the air conditioner was off (perhaps due to stained carpet). Low quality sheets and bedding akin to a cheap hotel. The bathroom fixtures were still of low/average quality. They did replace the art in the room with some nice prints of Ireland.
    Breakfast on Sunday was mediocre. A slight step above your regular continental breakfast, but not high quality. Plated hot food was not that good and it looked like other people were ordering eggs, but this was not offered to us.

• Wendy67's Profile Photo

Not your typical hotel

The Irish Cottage is actually a hotel with a few very lovely suites. The Brian Boru suite is what attracted me to this particular hotel, as we were there for a special occasion.

Unique Quality: I don't usually choose "theme" type hotels, but this one was a bit different. It's decorated very tastefully in rich, dark leathers and cherry wood. It's very masculine and I thought my husband would appreciate the ambience (no flowered curtains here).

The attached pub has great entertainment on the weekends - usually folk singers that get the crowd involved. As the night wears on, middle-aged couples with red faces are happily attempting to sing "Sarah, Sarah likes to sit. When she sits, she sits on schlitz". Depends on your sense of humor, you may be amused. We were.

The food is absolutely horrendous. They're quite generous with a "typical Irish breakfast" that I truly believe no self-respecting Irishman would touch.

The hotel also includes a spa, which we did not use this time.

Directions: Galena is a tiny town of about 3000 people. The hotel is located on Route 20, which is the main road into town.

More about The Irish Cottage Boutique Hotel

A little slice of Ireland

From the Full Irish Breakfast buffet in the morning to the delightful Irish/American folk music of Fiona Malloy in the evening, our weekend at the Irish Cottage Hotel was just wonderful. The staff was as friendly and helpful as the Irish themselves and the many paintings of Irish sites and settings brought back memories of our own trips to Ireland. The room was comfortable and well laid out. We loved it all.

Massage...AHhhaaaa...Barbara...AWesome !!

Had several massages in Galena during our extended stay. Barbara, at the spa in The Irish Cottage, was very professional and payed much attention to every aspect of my session.
Covered me when I was chilled and adjusted to support when needed. Just the right
pressure in all the right spots.She knew exactly what to do without asking. She was by far
a master in her trade, better than Tump Towers the week before...well worth a trip to Galena !
The rooms were more than pleasing with a view like Ireland out the back of the Cottage.
There was a crowd in the pub, I liked that. To me a crowd means the Guinness is flowing,
the food is fresh, the staff moving with the patrons. All their staff were friendly and helpful.
The Irish dancers sure were entertaining, made me feel as if I could do it too..Ha ! Starbucks
in the room was enjoyed. Tips: get a room viewing out the back of the hotel
call ahead and ask for a massage with Barbara (insist)
drink guiness
enjoy the Starbucks
think green and Smile

Great View

by TripAdvisor Member WAIDMANNSLUST

Our group of four stayed at the Irish Cottage Hotel on Apr 27th for one night, which was not long enough in our eyes. We had two rooms on the back side of the hotel (real nice and quiet) The view in the back is a real treat request these when making reservations.
The rooms are very comfortable and well appointed, with nice towels & bath products. Our room had a sitting area with small refridgerator and microwave, it was very quite and peaceful during our stay which was on a Thursday night. The morning coffee basket was just right for us in the morning. We did not eat in the hotels pub, the hotel has a very nice gift shop with things of a Irish nature. The lobby and public areas of this hotel are very typical of an Irish Inn & Pub. The personal at the front desk were very kind and polite to us. We would not hesitate to recommend this hotel or book a stay here in the future, when in the Galena area.

A Wee Bit of Ireland

I just spent two nights at the Irish Cottage Hotel in Galena. It was a delightful vacation. There were many reminders of Ireland all around the place, and the beautiful grounds in back of the hotel made me think I was there. Throughout the building and outside, I could hear the lovely Celtic music. That in itself was so relaxing. The common areas were very authentic, and all the employees were most gracious. The pool and hot tub were clean and the chemical balance of the pools was well balanced. There was a nice area with exercise equipment.
I stayed in a generous sized room with a King bed. It had a firm mattress and three pillows. The bedding was nice and clean, too. The air-conditioning unit functioned well and was simple to figure out. There was a comfortable and clean armchair and ottaman to sit in while watching the TV or reading the paper. The carpeting had several stains, but they weren't too obvious due to the pattern. However, I can't expect a hotel to change the carpeting every time a guest spills on it. The bathroom was clean and the shower curtain looked very new. The tub and wrap-around for the shower were immaculate. There was no build up of dirt along the floor tiles. The floors were very pretty. Everything about the bathroom was clean. I felt comfortable whenever I was in there. I am very fussy about bathrooms. I'd also like to add that the room was very quiet, too. I was concerned that maybe my TV was too loud, but when I left it on while I went out to get ice, I couldn't hear it at all from the hall. My whole stay was quiet.
The food in the attached pub was delicious and very authentic. Again, the service personnel were very gracious. A lovely and plentiful continental breakfast was served each morning, including scones that were yummy. My only regret was that the full Irish breakfast was not available. They only provide that on the week-ends.
I really enjoyed my stay, and the price was sure right for this senior citizen. I would surely recommend this place to anyone.

Absolutely wonderful time at the Irish Cottage

by TripAdvisor Member DavidMichaelaWard

We just finished a trip to Galena for our first wedding anniversary. The staff was wonderful from the time we made the reservations to the time we checked out. Attention to keeping with the Irish theme is paramount with this crew....from all the wonderful watercolors decorating the entire hotel and rooms, to the entertainment on the weekends in the pub, to the amazing irish breakfast included with the stay. Also, the spa downstairs is incredible....a little pricy, but well worth it in quality of service. We would hightly recommend this hotel to all who viisit Galena if you wish to have modern conviences close to a historic town.

Quiet Night of Sleep!!! Great staff,good breakfast

by TripAdvisor Member travelingparrotheads

My husband and I celebrated our 2nd Wedding anniversary in Galena, The Hotel was very clean, the staff was wonderful and very accomodating. We did not eat dinner at the Pub but did go in for evening drinks, the dancers were fun and very traditional. I personally did not like having 3 different bartenders serving us, it meant that we explained our order over and over instead of one bartender already knowing what you drink. But still it was fine, a little too bright though. The pool was very nice and clean, the breakfast buffet was good, not a huge variety but enough to get you going. There was the typical pancakes sausage, bacon, ham and eggs, they also had what the Irish call "Bangers and Mash" , It was different...
All and all the Hotel was great, We would go back to stay, The location was great because it was not right in the downtown zone. I do reccomend to stay here and have a good night of sleep.
P.S. Great strong showers!!!

Fantastic Stay

by TripAdvisor Member angelslame

At the last minute we decided we had to get out of town for Memorial Day weekend. We had heard great things about this place, but it was showing completely booked on line. Even though we KNEW it was an exercise in futility, we decided to call the hotel anyway. We were amazed to find that they had availability after all. This hotel was near everything we wanted to see and although it is on the "main drag", it was comfortable and cozy. The pub was TOO loud (even on the quiet songs) and the wedding downstairs was a little rowdy, but the complimentary breakfasts were delish and the staff warm and generous. The standard room was generously sized and very clean. The window looked out over the fields in the back and the "faerie ring" (which had a mysterious cat presence). The library and it's treasures were fascinating. The pool was my daughter's favorite haunt. Next time, maybe mom & dad will get to try the spa. All in all a great place to stay!

Nice place, needs new bedding.

by TripAdvisor Member The33

The place is decent, clean, the staff is great. The bar is nice. The breakfast was good.

The beds are horrible! very uncomfortable , only made worse by the pillows that are like crumbled newspapers in a pillow case. worst nights sleep I've had in a long time. I have slept on better beds at motel 6 for 1/3 the price. these beds ruined an otherwise nice hotel.

Nice place

by TripAdvisor Member Dave3441

Not being a chain; I'm always concerned what a hotel might be like.

This hotel has a nice Irish lobby, library, pub and mini-gift store. The Irish music is constantly on in the lobby.

The rooms are comparable to what you would get at a Country Inns and Suites or a Hampton Inn. Hotel elevator was a bit slow since it's only a three story building, but nobody was stopping me from using the stairs.

Noise not a real issue, but if traffic noise bothers you; ask for a room on the side of the hotel NOT facing US 20. The back side overlooks a rolling, farm pasture.

Comments