1700 Nations Drive, Gurnee, Illinois, 60031, United States
Hotels.com Tingo.com AMOMA.com

More about KeyLime Cove Resort and Water Park

Definitely worth a visit

by TripAdvisor Member kimball78

If you're comparing this to resorts like they have in Disney World then you might be dissapointed. My family and I did not have big expectations and having said that we were pretty impressed. Key Lime Cove is definitely a well decorated/themed resort that allows you to get lost in a tropical getaway. The waterpark is not huge but large enough to include several different thrills and the waterslides are fantastic. There is a lot to do for kids other than the waterpark as well, arcade, 50's style themed diner for ice cream, kid manicures, movies etc.... The only knock and it really isn't a knock because the staff is super friendly but it's apparent they are local kids and not from the hospitality industry. Experiencing Disney World tens of times has made this apparent. Overall, I think it's worth a trip but watch out! Those key card/room charge bracelets can rack up the charges in a heartbeat! :-)

Great Hotel/Waterpark for young kids

by TripAdvisor Member Kzoo50

Spent two nights at KLC over our spring break. Luckily our spring break was a week after the schools in Illinois, therefore the hotel was not crowded. The check in line was only two people on a Sunday and the room was ready on time.

The good: Rooms are very clean, large with all the amenites. Kids loved the game area and water park. The park was small compared to Kalahari but adequate. This is a good water park for kids under 12, but the older kids will get bored very quickly. They are planning an expansion in 2009, that will hopefully make things more enjoyable for older kids. We never had to wait more than 2-3 minutes for a slide, tubes and chairs/tables were available to everyone. Highly suggest that you go during an off peak time.

The wrist bands are convenient but you still need ID to buy a drink at the restaurant. The food at the hotel was OK, but there are plenty of options within a five minute drive.

The bad: Everyone is charged an $8 per night "resort fee". You are not told this when you check in.The fee gets you free shuttle access to Gurnee Mills Mall and free day passes to Gold's Gym which is across the street. I learned this at checkout when I questioned my bill, they did not have an answer as to why we were not told about the resort fee during check in.

Overall it was a nice resort. If you can afford the $3.49 a gallon, I would make the drive to Kalahari for a much larger water park.

Better Choices than this

by TripAdvisor Member travelerbg

Our children our 6 and 9. We have been to a lot of hotels with waterparks. Great Wolf in Traverse City, Kalahari (over 30 night stayed over the years), Treasure Island, Polynesian and there might be more.

Our first impression of the indoor waterpark was not the Kalahari. It looks nice in there but it is for younger children. Not enough for the older one and the 6 year old was kind of on the fence. I also thought there was too much walking around to get from one point to the other.

We went when the kids had a day off during the week and the place was pretty dead so there were no lines and no wait in the restaurant.

The restaurants inside were really quite limited on Food selection. DW Anderson's has some menu selections like a Red Robin and probably a dollar less per sandwich but the overall menu selection was light.

The hours were all messed up. The sweet shop closed 1 hour before the waterpark closed. Hello, when you get done at the waterpark, you are hungry. They must expect people to go to Krispy Kreme if they are hungry. The waterpark did close at 9 during the week which is fine. But everything else closed kind of early.

Activities- They do have a nice activity list similar to Kalahari and the craft shop looks very nice and a lot to do for the kids.

Staff- The staff was excellent. The kids tried the scavenger hunt and everyone was very nice. Thanks for the help Mike.

Website - Tried to book online. The site showed one price, then I clicked checkout and it went up like $20.00. Then when I clicked confirm, it added another $20.00. I was told they are working on this but it might be another way they try to get more money out of you hoping you will not see it.

RESORT FEE: We were not told about this fee of $6.95 until we got the bill under our door. How dare you! I had never heard of this before and they did take it off but it is a complete insult. There should be laws about this. Would never come back here because of this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't stay midweek - water park closes early.....opens late!

by TripAdvisor Member momof2kids07

We stayed at Key Lime during the week since the kids had an institute day. What a mistake. We arrived at 6PM, it took us almost 2 hours to eat in the hotel (service was slow and terrible) and then only had one hour to swim in the pool and check out was at 11am! Luckily I begged them to give us late check out, which they reluctantly did because of "all the weekend customers." The waterpark was small and the water burned my eyes and skin. I felt very sorry for young children. Sensitive skin was have been terrible in that water. The waterpark was so spread out I was tired of walking around so much. Nothing was connected or flowed together. The waterpark staff was pretty nasty to the kids too...yelling at them to stay behind the poles while watiing for slides. The arcade was very nice. I never checked out the retail since they closed at 9 and didn't open until 10 either. I was very dissapointed that I spent $300 to swim for a few hours play in an arcade and watch TV in my room. At least it was a flat screen. Next time I will wait and go to the Dells.

Great experience!!!

by TripAdvisor Member waterparkdad

Having stayed at a number of waterparks in the area, we consider ourselves waterpark veterans. Key Lime did exceed all of our expectations. The staff was very helpful and friendly. The rooms were big, clean and comfortable. The waterpark was big and had plenty to keep my 8 yr old and 6 yr old entertained. The lifeguards are vigilant but still friendly. I thought the treehouse was great. Some of the time these "little kid structures" can be lame but this one has three good slides and plenty of area to climb and have fun. The wave pool was fun without being too much. The big slides are a little out of the way but they are worth it. The hurricane vortex is a great ride. Both boys liked it but preferred the smaller slides. Still older kids and teenagers will find plenty to keep themselves entertained.
The arcade is big. I'm not crazy about any of these places but the kids love them. ($20 in tickets for $1 worth of plastic) but this one was the best of the ones we've been to.
By far the nicest park in Illinois. A million time better than Coco Key and bigger cleaner and closer than Grand Bear Lodge in Utica.
It was not cheap but I thought it was worth it.

Loved it again!

by TripAdvisor Member Deb52

I already wrote a review for our previous stay and just had to add that our stay of May 25/26 2008 was just as nice if not better. My husband & I decided we really do like this place and unless something happens to change our minds about it, we'll go back time and time again.

We can get there in an hour which is a big plus. We just enjoyed the property and didn't leave till time to go home.

I had let the front desk know we had 3 May birthdays in our family so they put a cute sign and balloons on our door. I had received a post card entitling us to a free kid's meal with special dessert, free craft and 20 tokens. Join their Club Key Lime online if you want to get on their mailing list!

We felt the staff to be very friendly and helpful. We arrived early, about 11:30 and found that their system was down so they had to do check in manually. Sandy was so nice tho and mannerly and assured me that altho our room was not ready yet, they'd see to it that it was asap. We probably didn't wait even an hour to be in our room.

I agree with another poster that it's not a cheap place but we paid $229 for a very nice and generous sized room and had lots of fun so was well worth it to us....just a very nice little get-away!

Kids loved it! Great time for whole family!

by TripAdvisor Member ILoveTwoVacation

Stayed for two days (Wed-Thur). Kids (ages 3 & 4) loved it! Plenty of things to do for the kids (waterpark, arcade, and daily activites). The activity center is great. The staff keeps the kids occupied with games and fun things (although you can't leave the kids there). The resort staff is very friendly. The rooms are nice too (32" flat widescreen is nice). The shuttle to Great America was a plus. When the kids got tired we were back in our room within minutes.

Some cons:
The waterpark doesn't open until 10AM although I was told they plan opening earlier soon. The food is ok, kind of pricey but what do you expect. There was a local community group that bussed in dozens of kids. We were under the impression that only guests were allowed to use the waterpark but were told that they don't allow day passes but do allow special groups. It was ok as we went on a weekday and it was slow. Plus our little ones didn't go on the "bigger" slides where most of the special group was. The waterpark would be better if our kids were a little older. Our 4-year old is at the threshhold but he absolutely loved it. Our 3-year old was just a too little-even for some of the "baby" slides.

They are planning on building an outdoor waterpark soon. Overall, a great place to go close to to home--you really feel like you're on a tropical vacation getaway.

Perfect Weekend

by TripAdvisor Member 5ForVacation

The facilites are all festive, fresh and inticing. The staff, including the lifeguards, are personable and accomodating.

We loved our Mangrove Suite which had room for our family of five. The water park was appropriate for children of all ages (ours are all under 6) and offered safe but exciting range of activities. There are several eateries, all of which have appealing atmosphere and friendly staff. The arcade and children's craft area were a hit with the children.

I will recommend this resort to friends and family. We made some great memories and I will visit again.

Stayed There Opening Day

by TripAdvisor Member paczki123

We booked a reservation for the weekend of their opening day. I was glad we stayed only the one night: Fri Feb 29th. We have 3 kids, 11, 9 and 5 and they were bored with the waterpark after an hour or so. I think that is because the waterpark isn't all that big. When we arrived, the check in lines were so long. The staff was friendly, but, they had nothing healthy on any menu, the Crazy Toucan was out of most everything kid related LIKE CORN DOGS BUT we pretty much attributed that to Opening Day learning, so we were very forgiving and ordered burgers and wings that weren't very tasty. The Spa is called Paradise Mist, but I was unpleasantly surprised by their rates for a 25 min. manicure. When all was said and done, I owed $43 for a 25 minute manicure because of their HIGHER RATES for Thur-Sun services! A whopping $10 increase and automatic 18% gratuity tacked on to that! The ice cream parlor is charming. They had so many attentive staff working there scooping ice cream. I found the actual hotel room to be so noisy. We heard kids running and slamming doors all night long and it was the worst night's sleep I ever had at a hotel. It is a really BIG building and a very attractive looking place. I think they can do so much better than they are doing now. All in all , it is a clean place. Game room is expensive and has junky prizes for the money spent to win anything, but I think they just need some time and practice working on things a bit! It would be so smart to offer some healthy salads and vegetarian options on your menus! KLC could be a leader in healthy spa like resort cuisine! Then I would come back and give it another try!

Loved Every Minute!

by TripAdvisor Member WIMom2

After hearing all the hype, we had to check out Key Lime for ourselves. Our group of 12 was made up of adults and small children. We all loved the waterpark and fun attractions throughout the hotel. The food was great, staff went above and beyond and accomodations were clean and attractive. I particularily liked the keyless wristband and not having to worry about losing a room key. Key Lime is much more fun and all inclusive than anyplace in the Dells. We'll definitely be going back!

Comments