Holiday Inn Express Highland

#1
Rank 1 of 2 hotels
in Highland
Terrible (1.0 out of 5.0) 1 review

Watch out for double charging

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 26, 2008

I witnessed this incident on Sat.10-18-08.
The GM treated a lady from Indiana so badly that I almost called the police to intervene. There was a mix-up about whether the reservation had been for Fri or Sat. and I have no idea who was right or wrong. However the GM's behavior was such that in listening to what took place I think the hotel is double charging people. The lady from IN asked over and over if she had been charged for the previous night before the GM practically screamed at her that she had been charged and if she refunded her money she would have to refund a bunch of other peoples money who had also been charged as no-shows on reservations. The GM then told her to get out and "maybe she shouldn't stay at Holiday Inn Express anymore". I'm pretty sure the lady was crying when she left. The GM called her a liar, charged her for a room she didn't ask for or stay in, yelled at her and kicked her out. I have never witnessed anything like this before and I was appalled. This should be a wake up call to all of us to start checking our credit card statements for duplicate or fraudulent charges because the GM really did not intend to inform the woman that she had paid for Friday night. She made a big deal that even though they were fully booked for Saturday she would let the lady have a room there had been a cancellation for.(Only another $89 plus tax) When the lady said she wouldn't take the room for Saturday until they answered her definitively about whether she had been charged for Friday night was when the GM went nuts.

Unique Quality: The facility itself was fine. The accommodations really don't count for much though if the personnel running it are out of control and ripping unsuspecting people off. I was so upset over what I had witnessed that I wrote a detailed letter to the Holiday Inn Corp. and would you believe that the way they handled this appalling incident was to forward my letter to the general manager of the Holiday Inn Express in Highland, IL. The very woman who had verbally abused and fraudulently charged the lady from Indiana. The Holiday Inn Corporation obviously thinks it is ok to treat people this way. If you stay at one of their hotels makes sure you go over your credit card bill with a fine tooth comb because they only admitted charging this poor woman for the previous night after she asked over and over if she had been charged. They did not intend to tell her. How many of us has this company scammed in this way. I would have said that this was one bad apple (the general manager) but if that were the case surely the corporation would have done something more than forward my letter to the woman who caused the incident to take place.

Nearby Holiday Inn Express Highland

• Pets Allowed
  • Continental Breakfast
  • Free High Speed Internet

Highland Travel Forum

Need advice about Highland, Illinois? Visit the Travel Forum for Highland and ask our Answer Gurus.

Highland Travel Guide