1809 N Milwaukee Ave, Libertyville, Illinois, 60048, United States

Get-together at Deecat's homeGet-together at Deecat's home

Travel Tips for Libertyville

A Landmark in Libertyville

by deecat

A variety of cultural opportunities are available for the Village of Libertyville residents. A landmark museum in the downtown village area is the Ansel B. Cook Victorian Home Museum. This Victorian treasure was built in 1878 ( at first it was used only as a summer home by Ansel Cook and his wife, but later it became their primary, year-round residence) and is still full of period furniture. It is one of the most complete Victorian museums in Lake County and is open:
Sunday from June 4 to August 27 or by appointment.
Admission is $2.00 for Adults and $1.00 for
Students and Seniors.
All summer you can visit the grounds of the Museum; it is a Rose Garden for the Community. The Victorian home has quite a history. At one time Dr. Foster, the first doctor to practice in Libertyville, had his office here. The first post office was also located here. In the 1920's the house was altered and used as a library with classical Colonial Portico.
If you love the Victorian period as I do, then you will adore the Ansel B. Cook Victorian Home Museum. It is in superb condition and a joy to behold.
I look forward to the summer months so that on Sundays this lovely museum can be visited. Its authentic Victorian furnishings (many of them gifts from Libertyville area families) add to the beauty of this marvelous home. Before it was made into a library, it originally had a large, one story porch. It still has high ceilings downstairs with original medallions. It also has original chandeliers (a few are reproductions). It is interesting to note that at the time it was built, chandeliers indicated a wealthy owner!

Libertyville, Illinois

by WaRPer

"Innsbruck - Libertyville"

Libertyville, a small upper-class suburban residentail area, about 40 minutes drive from downtown Chicago.

::GETTING THERE::
Taking Metra Trains: Milwaukee District / North Line
CHICAGO (Union Station) >> Grayland >> Mayfair >> Forest Glen >> Edgebrook >> Morton Grove >> Glenview >> North Glenview >> Northbrook >> Lake Cook >> Deerfield >> Lake Forest >> LIBERTYVILLE

(see pic) The pond turns to ice field in winters......

CHRISTMAS HOLIDAYS WITH SPECIAL VT FRIENDS

by LoriPori

"CHRISTMAS VISIT IN LIBERTYVILLE"

Wednesday, December 13,2006
Libertyville, Illinois
Hans and I had the pleasure of getting together with some very special VT friends. Robert (rmdw) came all the way from Vancouver, BC. Kat (Keida84) and friend Kris came all the way from California. And there was the incredible Kristi (Dabs) organizer extraordinaire, who got us all together. And last but not least - the delightful Dee (Deecat) and Allan who welcomed all of us into her home.

It was fun to exhange gifts among all of us. Kat gave us the coolest gifts -- personalized mouse pads with pics on them (shown here)

What would Christmas holidays be without HansiClaus. He just loves wearing his Santa hat and giving out gifts to all the good little VT'ers. HoHoHo!

Along with Dee's gift from us, I included a little something for Sabrina Dee, their precious grand-daughter. As I love to make scrapbooks, I found a cute little beginner scrapbook for Sabrina Dee so she can start out making her memories, just like Auntie Lori.

Christmastime in Libertyville

by londonlover

One of my family's holiday traditions is driving around the two sidestreets off Golf Road in Libertyville that have community-wide participation in luminaria. It's a beautiful view with every home's driveway and sidwalk lined with milk jugs aglow. :)

Another view...

And another...

Flower Frenzy

by deecat

"My Garden Helper: Sally Cat"

Sally Cat spends as much time outside with me in the garen as possible. She is on a long, long leash; thus, she becomes tanged in the various plants, but we manage.

She especially loves the Cat Mint.

"Statues Add Beauty to The Garden"

Please click to see the details of these lovely statues

The Angel Statue is very special because it was given with flowers at my Mother's funeral. I have kept it because it reminds me of her when she was alive...always vibrant, busy, straightforward, and fun.

The other statue is a young boy leaning over to examine and "talk" to baby rabbits. It's taken from a famous Norman Rockwell painting from the 1930s. It's nestled in with beautiful a myria of perennials.

"Abundant Flowers"

The back of our house in Libertyville faces the South; there is plenty of sunshine for sun-loving perennials.

This area is filled with flowers, starting in May with the glorious orange-red poppies. The only trouble with poppies is that they last such a short amount of time.

"Beautiful Clematis Blooms"

A delightful group of Clematis vines are found on the southeastern and southwestern sides of our house as well as on the trellis and a few tri-pods. Some of my favorites are the first blooms in the spring with their huge PURPLE blooms.

"Hanging Baskets Adorn our Patio in Back"

My backyard is a real "wonderland" of flowers and foliage. In this shot of my patio , you are apple to discern one of several baskets. I love blue flowers, which, by the way, are hard to come by.f*

"The Delicate Daisy Also Has a Place in My Gardens"

I always smile when I see the daisies in the garden. They are simple, strong, unassuming, and happy....which is what we all should strive to be!

"Grasses as a Background to Perennials"

In my back Perennial Gardens, I use all kinds of ornamental grasses as a backdrop to the Perennials.

Some grow as large as 6 feet tall. The picture is of the Japanese Silver Grass which sways in the slightest breeze.

Some of my grasses are the Feather Reed Grass, Maiden Grass, Ribbon Grass, Red Switch Grass, Blue Oat Grass, Zebra Grass, Pink & White Pampas Grass, Silver Fountain Grass, Blue Grasses, and Blue-Eyed Grass.

Most of these look beautiful, even in the winter months.

"Dee's Garden Adventures"

Part of ones enviornment represents the kind of travel adventures one wishes to experience. I seek beauty as I travel; usually in the landscape, the foliage and flowers.

"Beauty" is a relative term; it has a broad spectrum for me. I tend to find beauty where others would see "ugly"...in an old beggar woman, a toothless man, a stray dog or cat, or a decrepid building.

But when it comes to flowers, I prefer to create my own beauty. Here in Libertyville, I spend many, many hours in my gardens from about April until October.

Comments