I57-I64 And IL15

Satisfaction Poor

Travel Tips for Mount Vernon

Born_Native's Mount Vernon, IL Page

by Born_Native

I thought I might balance Nighthawk618's travel page. It sounds to me as if Nighthawk probably lives here and is tired of Mt. V. However the truth is, for a city of approximately 16,500 people, Mt. Vernon has some very nice things going for it. Tourists can find several attractions to enjoy. We have a first-rate museum with an 80 acre sculpture park. A interesting Historical Village, near the museum. A couple of local wineries, several decent antique dealers, great hunting and fishing and several really good golf courses.
Mt. Vernon has several national hotel chains (Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn, Comfort Inn, Drury Inn, etc.) and restaurant chains (both fast food and sit-down; such as Chili's, Applebee's, Lonestar Steakhouse, Cracker Barrel, Bob Evan's, Denny's, Pasta House, etc.) immediately off the Interstate 57-64. We also have a pretty decent mall about a half mile east into town with JCPenney and Sears as anchors.
Twenty minutes south of us is the Rend Lake recreation area (the state's 2nd largest lake) with all kinds of camping, resort and hotel complexes, stables, shooting complex, not to mention the regular "lake" stuff. Rend Lake does not have as many dining choices or as many hotel rooms as Mt. Vernon. The resorts book early.
Summer and Fall are the best times to visit when there are festivals and more outdoor opportunities. (Summer can be very hot and humid)

Comments