Oakwood Lincoln At The Parks

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

Good For No Data

More about Naperville

Full BloomFull Bloom

Cafe or Lounge Car (Dome car in the past).Cafe or Lounge Car (Dome car in the past).

Naper SettlementNaper Settlement

The View From The Other SideThe View From The Other Side

Travel Tips for Naperville

Walking is just the beginning ...

by shrimp56

Obviously there is walking to do on Riverwalk, which extends for several miles trhough downtown Naperville. In fact on weekends the area is full of families and couples taking a stroll.
But there are also more active options. In the summer there is Centennial Beach as well as paddle boats in another part of an old quarry. In the winter there is an ice hockey rink. Just bring your comfortably shod feet ;)

Tiki Bar and Grill

by riorich55 about Cabana Charley's

I'm going to try real hard to give my local restaurant reviews the night after I go there so that they are fresh in my mind. I may not have pictures (believe it or not I don't take the camera everywhere with me and I haven't broken down yet and gotten a camera phone, but for VT spontaneous pictures I probably should).

On to the review. A fairly new restaurant in the area (a few months old as of May, 2009) with one other Chicago area location. We had a coupon for one free entree (always an incentive to try something new). The bar/grill is divided into 2 distinct areas, the bar area with a tiki hut theme and the sit down area with an island type motif. We arrived around 7:45 p.m. and most of the dinner crowd had already departed so it was on the quiet side. No background music in the dining area, but some music coming in from the bar area.

On weekend nights they have live entertainment and the Seven Bridges area, where the restaurant is located, is within walking distance to a large movie theatre complex so I'm sure weekends would probably be more lively. Sue and I ordered 2 of their sandwiches (with the coupon the less expensive one was free). Sue ordered an Island Chicken Sandwich which had a teriyaki flavoring and I had a Grilled Herbed Grouper Sandwich. Both sandwiches were served on a large, but non discript bun. Both sandwiches were flavorable and served with a side. Sue opted for the regular french fries and I had some very good Sweet Potato fries which were .95 cents extra.

They have many different types of Island type drinks on the menu, but we stuck to a raspberry ice tea and a mango flavored lemonade.

You can steak your dinner on it!

by shrimp56 about Sullivan's Steak House

Sullivans is a very sophisticated steakhouse [with a few other notes] -- the ambiance is warm and bustling with an open kitchen and a glassed in wine wall where you watch the servers climb the ladder to snag their quarry.
In the bar there was a piano player setting a casual, yet elegant scene.
Please click on the picture to see the whole image. Our son had a filet mignon stuffed with duxelles of mushrooms. My husband had the pictured thick pork chop and I had a lovely scallop appetizer,. which was more that enough as I shared my son's yummy creamed spinach and my husband's baked potato. We were all very impressed with the quality of the food and the efficiency of the service. It is a "chain", but still has the sense of a very fine upscale restaurant.

A view down the river ...

by shrimp56

In this photo you can see the relationship of the Naperville City Hall to the river and Riverwalk. The trees are growing slowly, easing the shock of such a big building in the middle of smaller ones.

Naperville -- a fun western suburb of Chicago

by londonlover

Though I've lived north of Chicago all my life, I never made it down to Naperville to explore their well-known Riverwalk and main street shopping district until May 2004. I'm disappointed that I hadn't discovered this great town earlier. Its downtown district is a beautiful place, with a great mix of quality chain stores alongside quaint one-of-a-kind shops...and a fabulous selection of restaurants. And best of all, there's a beautiful paved Riverwalk that runs alongside the river that cuts through downtown.

If you're coming to Chicago, I think Naperville is definitely worth a day trip--it is serviced by a direct Amtrak train service from downtown Chicago, so transportation is no problem.

See my tips below for a glimpse of Naperville in spring!

Comments