Hotel Pere Marquette

501 Main Street, Peoria, Illinois, 61602, United States

Good For No Data
  • riorich55's Profile Photo

A Peoria Landmark

This Peoria landmark hotel has been around since 1927. Although it shows some of its age it still is the place to stay in downtown Peoria. This was my second time staying at the Pere Marquette, the first being a number of years ago when my wife's side of the family had a family reunion here.

In the next couple of years the original Hotel Pere Marquette will be no longer as the Marriott Corporation is buying it and the land on the entire block. I believe their plans over the next couple of years are to first, tear down the land and the buildings next door to the Pere Marquette and replace them with a Marriott Courtyard. The 2nd phase (or maybe it's the 1st, I don't really know) is to renovate the Pere and make it a full service Marriott Hotel. So when you go to Peoria in the future you will have your choice of either a full service Marriott or a business related Courtyard right next door.

Parking is Free

The elevators are small and slow so be prepared to wait a little bit in the lobby until your elevator comes. But while waiting take a look around at the architecture inside that you surely won't find in most hotels built nowadays. It will make your wait short indeed.

Unique Quality: My most recent stay was 2 nights during one of the two annual High School Basketball weekends, so the place was jumping (literally). I didn't use any of the amenities here, but they do have a small restaurant and bar area as well as a small workout facility. They do not have a pool here (like I said built in 1927).

Years ago when I was a student in town at Bradley University they had a very nice restaurant where I took my girlfriend (now my wife) for a nice dinner on my 21st birthday. All the meals were cooked with liquor way back when which is why I obviously selected it for that particular birthday. They still have a very nice banquet facility at the hotel and the Friday night I was there they had a huge Mardi Gras type fund raising event for MS.

• Good Place to Hold Events

Our stay here was very nice. The hotel and lobby seemed very fancy, so we were expecting a really fancy room, but I would say the room itself was about average. It was still very spacious and the bed was comfortable, though. An organization I'm in through Bradley University held our Spring Formal at the Hotel Pere Marquette, and the event was one of our best. The formal room was beautiful, with a chandelier. The food was delicious, and the servers were very nice. When I commented on how much I loved the cheesecake, our server offered to get me another piece (I also went to an Etiquette Dinner in the same ballroom, and the service was just as good that night!). Since we were part of an event being held at the Pere Marquette, we were offered a room at a discounted rate, so my boyfriend and I decided to stay. Our room was big enough that we were able to invite other friends up to join us before and after the formal, there was plenty of room to entertain guests. Although the room itself was nothing special, I would recommend the Hotel Pere Marquette, especially if you are looking for somewhere to hold a special event.

Directions: Downtown Peoria

• deecat's Profile Photo

Historic Painting and Carving in the Lobby of....

Hotel Pere Marquette's lobby is well-known for its impressive 8X18 foot mural depicting the landing of Pere Marquette on the shores of the Illinois River and the site that was later called Peoria.
    (Pere is French for father)

Another special in the lobby is an old wood carving of the Peoria Indians in a canoe.

Also impressive were the numerous chandeliers, marble, and the carved and painted woodwork. (See the photo)

Unique Quality: The second floor has a balcony area that overlooks this small but impressive lobby.

It's easy to see why through the years, Peoria's historic Hotel Pere Marquette has received some of the most distinguished visitors and has also been the site of many prestigious civic and social events. It has a warm, elegant feel to it.

• deecat's Profile Photo

Our Room at the Famous.....

Our room at the Hotel Pere Marquette was very large with quite high ceilings and large, nicely decorated windows. There were two beds, an end table, two chairs, a round table, couch, coffee table, large chest of drawers, another end table, and four lamps. Its roominess did not detract from the coziness of the suite-like ambience.

The bathroom was rather small, but we were pleased with the strong pressure in the shower.

We enjoyed being able to sit on the couch and chairs when we read, wrote, or watched TV.

Unique Quality: I thought our room might be noisy because our two large windows looked out over Main Street; however, the windows were well insulated, and all the noise was completely blocked out.

All-in-all, we were quite pleased with our one-night stay at Peoriea's premier hotel, Hotel Pere Marquette.

Peoria's Premier Hotel...

While visiting Peoria, we stayed at the Hotel Pere Marquette(named after one of the earliest of the French explorers, Father Jacques Marquette).

Located only one block from the Peoria Civic Center, it was the perfect hotel for our trip to see Josh Groban in concert.

Hotel Pere Marquette opened in 1927, costing $2.5 million, and in 1981, it was totally renovated. Shortly thereafter, the hotel was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.

I also enjoyed the fact that the hotel was only four blocks from the Peoria Riverfront, which was fun to walk.

There's a huge bar area called Rendevous with its two gigantic bars, comfortable seating areas, and a pool table area, too. The hotel also has a restaurant with a reputation as one of Peoria's best restaurants.

Unique Quality: This magnificent "Old-World"-inspired hotel has 253 spacious rooms, six VIP jacuzzi suites, thirteen hospitality suites, and eighteen junior suites.
    A real asset is the FREE deck parking. All rooms have irons, ironing boards, coffee maker, and hair dryer.

The hotel has a Gift Shop, Fitness Center, In-room movies, High-Speed Internet Connection, and Nitendo Games.

If you have an opportunity, stay in this historic old hotel in a classic river town, Peoria.

Comments