Ramada Inn Peoria

More about Peoria

Front Entrance to Avanti's on MainFront Entrance to Avanti's on Main

One Last ShotOne Last Shot

Exterior View Castle Patio InnExterior View Castle Patio Inn

Looking at Peoria from across the Illinois RiverLooking at Peoria from across the Illinois River

Dance Clubs

by sandman47

I'm looking for dance clubs in Peoria, preferably 70's & 80's music.
Thanks!

by riorich55

Is that Peoria, Illinois or Peoria, Arizona?

by sandman47

Peoria, Illinois. Sorry I didn't realize there was another town by that name.

by riorich55

I contacted a couple of my old friends down in Peoria and they do not know where any dance clubs with 70's or 80's music is. I can't recall when I lived down there that there was anywhere to dance except near the Bradley University campus but that was too many years ago to be current. I would suggest when you are in town, stop in at one of the hotels downtown and ask. Sorry I couldn't be of any further help.

Travel Tips for Peoria

A Beautiful Entrance to a Charming Place...

by deecat

On a cold March afternoon, I braved the weather conditions to discover what the "big deal" was at the end of Main Street called Peoria Riverfront Park. As I briskly walked along this historic main street, I could see in the distance a beautiful brick building, and I wondered to myself, "What is it; what is its purpose?"

As I came closer to the structure, I realized that it, too, had something to do with the Riverfront Park. Then I noticed the engraved title, "The Gateway Building".

It's an impressive structure with its peaked roof lines and its graceful archways. The red brick of its construction makes it look even more massive than it actually is. It certainly is a lovely entrance to this beautifully revised riverfront! This Gateway Building is used for both business and social functions, and it anchors the area known as the Riverfront Park.
There are meeting rooms plus a grand ballroom that overlooks the Illinois River.

Once I passed through the Gateway's courtyard to the plaza beyond, I saw commemorative bricks that serve as a permanent "memorial" for all the people of Peoria, and they serve as an enticing "welcome" to all the visitors to Peoria as well.

Caterpillar and Peoria are Synonymous

by deecat

Ever since I can remember, whenever I heard the name Peoria, I also thought of Caterpillar Company.
It all started back in 1890 when Benjamin Holt and Daniel Best experimented with various forms of steam tractors for use in farming (separately, with separate companies). Holt had the first steam track-type tractor, and the first gas track-type tractor. By 1915, the Holt "Caterpillar" track-type tractors were used by the Allies in World War I.
In 1925, The Holt Manufacturing Company & the C.L. Best Tractor Company merge to form Caterpillar Tractor Co..
In 1931, the first Diesel Sixty Tractor rolled off the assembly line in East Peoria, Illinois.

In the 1940s, the Caterpillar product line included motor graders, blade graders, elevating graders, terracers & electrical generating sets. Once again, Caterpillar products are used in the War (Second World War).
By the 1950s Caterpillar goes overseas in Great Britain.
In the 1950s, Caterpillar and Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Ltd. form one of the first joint ventures in Japan to include partial U.S. ownership!
The early 1980s, with the worldwide recession, caused dramatic reduction in the employment arena, and Peoria suffered.

In 186 Caterpillar became Caterpillar, Inc. reflecting the company's diversity.

Caterpillar celebrated its 75th birthday in the year 2000

And, in 2003, Caterpillar became the 1st engine manufacturer to offer a complete line of 2004 model year clean diesel engines that fully complied with the U.S. Protection Agency. It's known as ACERT.

Whatever happens to Caterpillar certainly has an effect on the economy of the citizens of Peoria.

Illinois State Boys Basketball Tourament

by riorich55

For 2 Weeks in early March the boys state basketball tournament comes to Peoria. Games are held on Friday and Saturday and are held at Carver Arena which is part of the Peoria Civic Center. In conjunction with the state tournament the "March Madness Experience" takes place in the adjoining Civic Center hall. Many different basketball events take place here including for the past 5 years the state wheelchair basketball tournament.

Historic Homes in Peoria

by deecat

I just read some VT member comments about Peoria, & I just can't believe that they lived in or visited the same town that I just spent two days admiring. If you like history, architecture, a renovated riverfront, an active Historical Society, & a community that is working diligently to preserve & improve, then you'll enjoy Peoria...I sure did, especially the Historic Homes.

In & near the West Bluff Historic District on High Street & Moss Street, it was a "beehive of activity". Many old homes were being renovated, & crews were putting on new roofs, painting, & repairing.
The first home that I saw is not a famous one; It's located at 429 High Street.
(photo)

A placard near the sidewalk caught my eye; I read it, & discovered I was looking at 802 West Moss Ave or the 1856 Bradley Homestead. This massive brick home used to belong to the Bradleys, a famous wealthy family in Peoria with a somewhat tragic life. Mr. Tobias Bradley (who ran a saw mill, a distilling business, & was president of the First National Bank of Peoria) died rather young; all six of the children also died. Lydia Moss Bradley continued with the family endeavors & became one of the most important woman philanthopist in the midwest. She gave much of her wealth to the school she founded, now called Bradley University!

Another historic home (not in the same area), the Flanagan House on NE Glen Oak Avenue serves as the site of the Peoria Historical Society
Building. It's the oldest standing house in Peoria (1837) & is of Federal Style. Inside is pre-Civil War furniture. There are antique toys in the children's room & a carpenter's shop with a large collection of antique tools.
It has a stunning setting located on the bluffs above the Illinois River; thus, visitors are given a superior view of the entire River Valley!

Open Wednesday-Sunday or by appointment

So, to all those people I read who dislike Peoria & say there's nothing to do, I don't think you really looked.

The best sight of Peoria is...

by Moishka

The best sight of Peoria is Peoria in your rear view mirror. To enjoy this, get in your car and leave for better and freer lands in this free nation!
Nothing to do. All the time in the world to do this in!
Nowhere to dance. You could always drive to Chicago, though!
Nowhere to go {unless you are smart enough to be leaving!}
Anybody over the age of 45 feels the urge need and desire of blowing their nose loud enough to be heard down the street which to me is completely offensive and very ill mannered.

Comments