5380 Honoiki Road, , Princeville, Illinois 96722
Orbitz.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Costs 83% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Hanalei Bay Resort Suites

Exceeded expectations...

Just spent a very relaxing 7 nights at the Hanalei Bay Resort. My fiancé and I ended up staying at the Hanalei Bay Resort via a package deal on expedia (flight, car and studio room). We were a little hesitant after reading some of the previous posts, but decided to go for it. The one bedroom studio (garden view) ended up costing about $60/night! Not a bad deal considering the Hanalei Bay Resort has gorgeous landscaping, an impressive pool/sauna, 8 tennis courts, direct beach access, and breathtaking views of Bali Hai. We had a kitchenette-complete with garbage disposal, dishwasher, pots and pans, electric stove, microwave, refrigerator, silverware, AND great blender! I might add that we probably stayed in one of their "worst" rooms and found it totally acceptable and very clean. Housekeeping came everyday and made our 'bed", and replenished our towels. The only bad thing was the studio room only has a pull out couch for a bed...not too nice to feel like you are sleeping at grandma's for the week! My advice is to shop around for a great deal and not to write off the Hanalei Bay Resort. We saw many other condo/hotels in the Princeville area and the Hanalei Bay Resort warrants four stars! Aloha!

Review from a honeymooner!

We spent 3 nights at the 'Hanalei Bay Resort' on our honeymoon. It was very beautiful, and the rooms were nice. I would dare say the grounds are nicer then the 'Princeville Resort' nextdoor. One negative point- Our room was separated by the room next door by a door that didn't lock. Overall, this resort is great! ...the view and location are as good as any in Kauai.

A trip of a lifetime !

We have just returned from our 30th wedding anniversary, trip of a lifetime. I have read so many reviews regarding HBR and quite frankly had some reservations before leaving home. But ALL of my questions were resolved after arriving in Kauai. For all of those who had a bad experience here, all I can say is sometimes bad things happen to good people. Hanalei Bay Resort was far and away the highlight of our 7 days in Hawaii. The staff went far beyond the call of duty in taking care of us. The room was in immaculate condition. No smells, no mildew. Maid service was timely and complete in every detail. The grounds were in GREAT condition. The pools were fresh, clear and CLEAN. The tennis courts were perfect. The only drawback was the price of meals at Bali Hai restaurant. But the food was awesomely prepared and again, the staff at Bali Hai was extremely nice. Overall...I WILL return to Kauai and to the Hanalei Bay Resort. The views when you wake up each day are beyond words. As in all reviews, read EACH one and decide for yourself, but for us, we will return with no second thoughts. Mahalo HBR.....we'll see you next year.

Surf the Hawaiian Islands (I...

by indiegirl

Surf the Hawaiian Islands (I learned in Hanalei Bay, Kauai--I know that's for babies, but I got up on my first try.) The far north shore was my goal, but I only got to snorkel and zip around on an expedition that went all the way past the "point of no return" section of the far north shore. That's where some people are never heard from again! I really liked that part. Visiting New York City before 9-1-1 in 2001. Riding the NYC subway for the first time late summer 2001 and cruising the East side one night that the Empire State Building had these vivid blue lights all the way to the top. Needless to say...I loved New York City! Did I mention that I 'defected' to Kauai in 1994? I really did...Hehehehe...funny story!

Not a fabulous value

We spent one so-so night here. The view was stupendous, but the rooms and staff left much to be desired. The room smelled of mold and cigarette smoke (despite its status as a non-smoking room), the bathroom stark, and the place itself gigantic and confusing. You have to park about a half a mile from your room and be bused around by golf carts vaguely reminiscent of a British sci-fi television show called "The Prisoner." The place had the obnoxious feel of a sort of run-down, depopulated Disney World.

Worst of all, despite the obvious emptiness of the resort when we stayed (end of January), management denied our request to spend an additional two hours in our room while we waited for our flight. Sure, we were more than welcome to hang around the pool and buy the expensive food, but we couldn't use anything but the public bathrooms to change into our swimsuits. Oh, and beach access? Down an extremely steep path which, while accounting for the view, is an arduous climb back up. Had we been able to retain our room key, we could have used a box to call for one of the scary little golf cart shuttles. But, having been deprived of that, it was up and up and up for us in the midday heat.

If beautiful sunsets are your reason for travelling to Kauai, you'll be well served at the Hanalei Bay Resort. Then again, just about anywhere on Kauai offers an incredible vista. Don't stay at this place unless you get a Priceline deal.

HBR is not kept up - a real disappointment

by TripAdvisor Member PoipuSands124

I figured that I would write out some things that might be interesting to those of you who are planning a trip to Kauai.

We went at the beginning of July and stayed at the Hanalei Bay Resort in Princeville. We were excited because we understood that this was the nicest resort in Princeville and for $171 per night on an Expedia special rate for a small garden view hotel room we figured it must be great. The resort is interesting. There are 15 or so buildings spread out among the pool and tennis courts. No cars are allowed on the property so you need to park and walk or get a ride in one of the golf carts that shuttle people around. That night we got in the bag boy took us to a ground floor room at the bottom of the hill and immediately when we got in could smell a mildew problem. Bag boy said he couldn't smell a thing but made sure to hang around for a handout. In any case we call front desk for new room but they say sorry, we're full maybe tomorrow night. Next day at 7am we wake up and there is a message about our new room. We go see it and at least it doesn't smell. We have daily maid service, but this consisted of making the bed, changing the towels and emptying the garbage. Little things like emptying ashtrays, changing the glassware, leaving extra soap when we ran out were just forgotten. And the room was not cared for at all. The drain in the bathtub was broken and there were weeds growing out of the rotting wood on the lanai.

This must have been a nice place one day in the past. The pool is huge and there is a great hot tub with a simulated hot spring. Unfortunely this was ruined for me while sitting in the hot tub some local teenagers with a puppy joined us. No problem until the puppy urinated right by the hot tub. None of them even blinked an eye.

Concierge service is very focused on achieving their goal and that goal is to get you on the timeshare presentation for the place. in the first 2 days we were called 3 times to remind us to "pick up our free gift".
Other little things like replying to my email about a fitness center took about a month.

The resort is run by Quintus which is part of Aston and is owned by Resort Quest. I'll be thinking really hard before I spend any more money with any of these companies.

One more thing. Most all of the people were very nice and friendly, but you would get that at the cruddyies motel on Kauai. I plan to go back to Kauai a lot, but not stay at the Hanalei Bay, but will stay at Poipu Sand in the Poipu Kai resort.

Alan

Loved It!

I just returned from Hanalei Bay and we loved the resort! I arrived a few days ahead of my husband (with two small children, one with special needs and a toddler) and found the resort extremely helpful. I was able to check into my room early (by 1:30). Someone showed me, in person, where to park and then brought my backs to my room. I found the room very clean and I saved tons of $$$ by using the kitchen provided. The pool, though a lit bit chilly, was wonderful with waterfalls that massaged my back to a children's pool area complete with a little, man-made beach, to the jacuzzi with small pebbles on the bottom to massage my feet. We were there with the extreme windstorm that struck Hawaii and the staff was immediately cleaning up debris as soon as possible. By the next day, other than a few new tree stumps, there was no evidence of the wind storm at the resort. The island lost power for a few hours and we didn't mind. We came for the view and for relaxation and that is exactly what we got!

Have stayed there twice

My wife and I have stayed at Hanalei Bay twice in the last 5 years and have found that the resort and the service has not changed at all. And thats a good thing!! Yes, the rooms could use some TLC, but we looked at alot of other resorts the first time we were there, and thats why we came back. You cannot beat the price. The grounds and the views are spectacular. We loved the mountain views the best. The pool is cold, but the jacuzzi is perfect. The service including, the grounds keepers, luggage guy, the front desk, the maids, and the massage lady were excellent. On the negative side, the golf cart pickup at the bottom of the hill is horrible. Dont even bother to call for pickup because the mosquitos will eat you alive while you are waiting (If they come at all) There really should be a dedicated person for transport of people around the resort, since it is hilly and very large. About 50% of the time I got unsatifactory service at the restaurant and bar (Forgotten items ordered, ultra slow service, etc) The parking lot is too small when Happy Hour is going on, because we found on serveral occasions there was not one space available. But by in large, we loved it there because of the close location to the best snorkeling on the Islands (Hideaways and Tunnels)

Needs to drop the title "resort" immediately...

We just returned from a stay here and overall, I was disappointed in the property's lack of amenities and the overall aloofness of the staff.

We booked through Priceline several months prior in planning the honeymoon portion of our vacation and we tried to call and see about getting a partial ocean view or nicer room a few days before. We were told, in no uncertain terms, that since we paid for a mountain view that we were getting a mountain view. Not that big a deal...

We checked in late on a Sunday night and the parking area was so full, that cars were circling just to try and catch someone leaving to get a spot so we knew getting a better room was not going to be in the cards.
The lobby area was open air and pleasant, with the Happy Talk Lounge off to the right and the Bali Hai restaurant straight ahead with open air views of Hanalei Bay and Bali Hai.

We got to the desk to check in and after a poor attempt at playful banter, we were given a standard mountain view room on the third floor (down a level from the main level). The room was very dated and lacked simple amenities like a iron or a hair dryer. They are in the process, we surmised, of changing units over to full time share and the room next to ours had a kitchen and couch and looked quite a bit nicer than ours.

As our stayed progressed, our dissatisfaction rose higher as the "resort" lacked many of the things a resort should have such as:

Beach access. It states it's on the beach but it's really a 10 minute walk down the hill to the path to the beach which is primarily on the Princeville Hotel's property. All beaches in Hawaii are public but in order to use any amenities such as the chaise loungers or towels, you must be a guest of the Princeville Hotel; there are no shared privileges as we had read there might be. We asked the guy at the towel shack and he confirmed it was for their hotel guests only.

No room service or drink service at the pool. While it may be a 3 star hotel and not a resort, most 3 star hotels, especially in Hawaii. have some kind of additional service offerings by the way of food/drink outside of the restaurants. Not here.

Pool towels ran out on two different occasions, once at 9AM on a Thursday (?!?) with no one at the pool area.

Annoying shilling for timeshare presentations. We quickly learned that "discounted attractions" in Kauaiian means "sit through a 90-120 min.
beatdown to buy into a timeshare". We were "invited" once we checked in and declined, once again the next day and declined and it was mentioned when we were in one of the restaurants to go to the concierge (who is really just the timeshare sales person) to get a certificate for a discounted dinner.

One pro is that if you like a laid back, sleepy, sidewalks roll up at 6, Boca Raton-type area, you'll love Princeville and Hanalei. There's not a lot to do on the North Shore after the sun goes down and without the resort-type of amenities, four days spent just at the hotel is probably more than most could bear. The town of Hanalei is about a 10 minute drive from the hotel and had neat little shops and good restaurants (try Zelo's Beach House for lunch or dinner) to go to.

Otherwise, you're about 40 minutes away from Lihue and Kapa'a, where the airport and a lot of the happenings are taking place. On the way to the hotel, buy your food/water/snacks at the Safeway or Foodland in Kapa'a. The prices at the Princeville Foodland are outrageous.

Around the hotel: The Happy Talk Lounge in the hotel was a great place to watch the sunset and had live entertainment nightly and the Bali Hai restaurant's food was passible but overly pricey. Watch out for the strangely people-friendly birds than inhabit the area and might steal the food right off your plate! The pool/whirlpool areas were good and looked to be well maintained. There were a mix of families and couples and the average age looked to be in the mid to upper 40s.

We initially bid this area in September and didn't really do a lot of research on the island, where to stay and what to do. We wished we had.
Although we got it for $98/night, I'd be reluctant to come back here for that rate and we wished we would have ponied up the additional $30-40/night to stay at the real resorts near Poipu Beach on the south shore.

Less than Desirable

My husband and I spent our 10 year anniversary at Hanaeli Bay this past November. We did a 1 bedroom trade through Interval International. The resort surroundings and staff were great. However, our room was less than desirable. The bathrooms were pretty gross, bugs (mostly ANTS in kitchen and bathrooms), sheets and pillows were thin/cheap, t.v.s small, and the room was very outdated. The hot tub was great, when working. Luckily the island kept us busy enough that we viewed our room as just a "place to sleep"...we came in late and left early. We did stop by a 2-bedroom unit viewed the ocean, and there was definately a difference in decor and cleanliness. Would I stay there again? If I was desperate.

Comments