9700 Balmoral Avenue, Rosemont, Illinois, 60018, United States

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

More about Aloft Chicago O'Hare

the aloft rates 4.5 stars

by TripAdvisor Member yarr0w

the aloft chicago o'hare is a fun, reasonably priced hotel located 3 blocks from the blue line "el" to downtown chicago. the rooms are fun, comfortable and more than adequate.
the lobby area is what makes the aloft special. a good pool and exercise room. comfortable chairs in the lobby. a pool table. board games. a bar for those who wish to partake. a fun vibe.
we stayed here with our teenagers and it was enjoyed by all.
the reason for the 4.5 out of 5 was somewhat inconsistent housekeeping in our room.

Hanging on the telephone

by TripAdvisor Member qioqe

Aloft is a fairly new hotel brand - the first one opened only this year. I have stayed twice at the Montreal aloft and really liked it.

This was my first stay at the O’Hare aloft. Physically t is very similar to the Montreal one – hotel design, room layout, facilities, comfortable bed – and the staff are as charming, and the price is good for what you get.

What lets the O’Hare aloft down is communications.

One problem is the Internet connection. It’s nice to have free WiFi, but the O’Hare aloft’s is as slow as dial-up. I’d rather pay extra for a faster service, or at least have that option.

The other problem is the phone. Not the phone itself, but the instructions in the room for using it. I needed to change my flight reservation, but didn’t get a dial tone when I pressed 9 (as the instructions on the phone say) for long distance. The front desk told me that I should press 8, not 9. That worked.

It was 9:30 p.m. I had flown from Europe so it was 2:30 a.m. for me. I wanted to have some food delivered and then go to bed. The front desk gave me a fistful of menus of local restaurants that would deliver. The phone instructions said that for local numbers, I should press 9, area code and number - but I knew I had to press 8. Then I spent about 35 minutes trying to phone restaurants, each time getting a busy tone. At first I was impressed with the hotel’s recommendations. If the restaurants were so busy, they must be good.

Eventually I asked the front desk if there could be something wrong with the phone. I was told that I had to press 8, wait for the dial tone, then press 1, then area code and local number. But I decided that it was too late to wait for delivery, and went to bed.

It would be easy for the hotel to leave a notice in each room, giving the correct instructions. It should also be easy to recognize that when a guest asks for food delivery menus, it’s a fair bet that he will phone for delivery. So it would be a good idea to say that, if he follows the instructions on the phone, he will get a false ‘busy’ signal.

After staying at the Montreal aloft I recommended aloft to several friends and colleagues, and I was really pleased when I found that there was one at O’Hare. So it’s a pity that I was left tired, hungry and irritated over something that the hotel could have prevented so easily.

I agree with other reviewers that the cold food on offer in the lobby is very limited (and quite high-priced), and even less inviting when I was geared up for a hot meal.

But I still like the aloft style and value, and no doubt will stay in alofts in future.

Great!

by TripAdvisor Member TheRealRubberDucky

For the price, comparable to Courtyard by Marriott or other budget business traveler hotels, the aLoft was great. The amenities were great and the location was okay. The hotel does have an hourly shuttle and a shuttle to the subway. The only downside I think was that parking was fairly pricey around $22 for self and $27 for valet, but if you expense it then I guess it doesn't matter.

The room was great with an HDTV and brand new modern rooms. The fully stacked magazine rack was a nice touch. The only downside was their alarm clocks are a little too funky but if you rely on wake-up calls like most people, it shouldn't be a problem.

Overall great stay!

not my cup of tea

by TripAdvisor Member zwischen

What is the big fuss? This place is just down right ugly. The decor was tacky and hideous. orange and brown striped carpeting with odd matching canopies??in the hall ways. The beds are horrendous... a mattress thrown on top of a platform. They aren't even secured to a bed frame and the bottom sheet pops off every time you move. The faux cork headboard and fake neon lights wallpaper gave me the heebee jeebees.
Now for my real problems.... when I called from the el for shuttle service no one answered the first 2 times. On the third time I was told they don't offer service from the el and i would have to take a taxi. The cafeteria style offering in the lobby is overpriced and has little to offer. Don't ask for directions !! The under 30 staff may be full of smiles and alohas but noone seems to be the sharpest tool in the shed. And at $25/day for valet parking - I'll park my own car. And be careful if you bring a dog. The back of the hotel is still a construction site and I encountered a rat, a snake and nails while walking the dog. Nuf said...skip this one.

Weekend Getaway

by TripAdvisor Member bluedukie

My wife and I went to Chicago to see "Wicked" and booked a Saturday night at the Aloft. From the moment we arrived our stay was almost perfect. Check-in time is posted as being at 3:00 pm and we arrived at about 11am so we could take the train downtown for the show. They allowed us to check-in early and had our room all ready for us. The hotel itself is very clean, modern, and fresh. It had a great feel to it from the moment we walked in. Our room was a bit on the small side as far as King rooms usually go, but the 42" Plasma made a big difference. The shower and bathroom areas were fantastic, my wife really appreciated the full length mirror!

The hotel shuttle promptly took us over to the train station and picked us up when we were done. All we had to do was call the front desk and they came and got us. The only minor inconvenience was when we ordered an in-room movie it caused the TV to freeze and we had to get a tech up to the room. The hotel did comp the movie to our bill however which was much appreciated. The breakfast bar and pool/lounge areas were also very nice and we felt the skyway walk area to parking was safe and well-lit.

Overall, a great place to stay and would def recommend it to anyone looking for a fun place just outside the city.

Contemporary and hip...in the burbs

by TripAdvisor Member jyount

This hotel has its ups and downs. It’s contemporary, hip and trendy things I love about it – has a great pool design and set up, I love the color schemes and the style – it reminds me of a more contemporary W that I stayed at in downtown Chicago a couple years ago… But it’s in the suburbs; you are literally in the middle of nowhere. Keep those blinds closed because there is nothing to see. They don’t have room service and the food they do offer is similar to that of a gas station but just 100x the cost than you would pay normally. The showers in the room are peek-a-boo showers and you can see the silhouette of the person showering in the bedroom area.

They have two free computers you can use for internet in the lobby and they will even let you print from them for free! They have a shuttle that will pick you up within a five mile radius from the hotel and they will take you anywhere within that radius which is a perk – if there is something you want to do that just so happens to be within a five mile radius. That said they also pick you up for free from the Rosemont Blue Line CTA station.

If you are stuck in Chicago because of flight delays or cancellations this is a great option to get some z’s, or if for some unknown reason you just want to stay in the burbs this would be a good choice and for the price (about $89 a night for a studio room) it’s definitely going to be cheaper than staying in the city for a similar hotel type. But if you are planning to commute to the city each day – it will probably get old (unless you are used to long commutes) it’s about a good 45 minutes to get to downtown Chicago on public transportation and if you are driving best of luck! Parking is about $20+ anywhere you go downtown Chicago and/or you need a permit to park in certain areas.

Great Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Scarlatina

This hotel was so cute and hip. The decorations were very modern and European in style. The ceilings in the rooms are very high, making the room seem so spacious. The shower is glass enclosed and has all Bliss brand products. Flat screened TV in room. Check-in and -out went without a hitch. Only problem is that you have to pay $24 to park in the parking garage... which is silly, because you are not even in Chicago. Other than that, no compliants!

My first stay at an aLoft - the most unique hotel concept I've ever seen

by TripAdvisor Member NeedATravelFix

As an SPG Gold, I had been hearing about aloft hotels for quite some time, and was excited to finally be in a city that had one open. Other than the fuzzy virtual pictures on the web site, I didn't know what to expect. And honestly, it is certainly the most unique hotel brand out there. Granted, it's not for everyone - as other reviewers have stated, it's definitely going for the hip/urban/loft feel and it certainly can feel a bit overdone at time (the constant aloha from the front desk and alliterative a on everything grates after a bit). But from my admittedly short stay (1 night), I think the hotel succeeds in what it sets out to do.

As a new hotel, I expected a high degree of cleanliness, and certainly got it. The room was immaculate, the towels seemed fluffier than normal, and all the elements of the room worked - wireless Internet, flat-panel HD TV, converter box, etc. I was actually surprised to see everything working - I almost anticipated that they would still be working out the kinks. The bed wasn't as comfortable as a Sheraton or Westin, but it filled the bill nicely. The free water and magazines in the room were a nice touch, and even though the room is a bit small (and would probably feel claustrophobic for a long stay), there wasn't anything I needed. The grab-and-go snacks downstairs were always available - prices weren't that bad relative to full-scale room service - and the fitness center was nice as well.

Overall - I will definitely stay here again, but it's definitely not for everyone. On the merits of the hotel - cleanliness, features, etc. - it is worthy of a four or five star mark. Whether or not your personality and personal tastes match the decor is a whole different issue entirely.

good hotel, very unique

by TripAdvisor Member RIGuy1024

Without a doubt a very unique hotel. Personally, I liked it a lot with just a few small issues.

First, parking is about $22/night in the garage and $25/night Valet. Certainly on par with most O'Hare hotels but based on the mess of a garage that they share with the movie theater they should drop the price. You have to park, take an elevator to the sky walk, walk across the sky walk, then take another elevator in the hotel to check-in. Certainly not convenient.

The room was very nice and clean. The shower was great. The bed was very, very comfortable but only two small pillows. The TV, a flat panel LCD, is perfect as well.

They also have an "entertainment box" allowing you to plug into the TV, etc. if you have the right wires.

There is no restaurant but the "grab and go" area is very large. They make breakfast sandwiches, have a lot of salads, drinks, fruit, ice cream, etc. I had a breakfast sandwich every morning and often found myself down there taking advantage of their healthy snacks. It is a small pain to wait in the check-in line to pay for your food but oh well.

Would definitely stay here again but only if the price comes down. I saw on the computer screen each night I was there the hotel was barely over 30% capacity but they kept their rates steady. I was there 3 nights and never saw that percentage over 35% so I would hope some big promotions found their way to some potential guests!!

Fun, Clean Spot and Good Value

by TripAdvisor Member DailyNoodle

I spent a night at the aloft and really enjoyed my stay. The room was the perfect size for 1-2 people, very clean, and I loved the layout. Large windows and high ceilings let in plenty of light. The glass-encased shower (no tub) had a great feel. The sink/dressing area included a password-protected safe (great for my laptop), small fridge, coffeemaker. My biggest complaint would be the very small closet size, which would be inadequate for a business traveller staying more than 1 or 2 nights.

The lobby was an open lounge with a bar, pool table, board games and plenty of comfortable chairs. This would be a great place to hang out with friends. The pool was small and would only be good for a dip or for children - laps would be tough.

The snack area had a good variety of options at reasonable prices, including some "instant" meal options like noodle bowls.

The overall decor and feel is modern and fresh without being too obnoxious. Staff was kind and helpful; when my safe didn't work an engineer appeard within 3 minutes to reset it. A free shuttle is available for airport runs and local trips.

The location is in Rosemount near the airport and convention center. A taxi into the city ran around $30-40 depending on traffic.

Overall, this seems like a great new Sheraton chain and at around $100 a night this one was a great value. I will use alofts in the future for their fun vibe and efficiency for weekend trips or if I get stranded by flights etc.

Door from the websiteDoor from the website

Comments