101 East Adams, Springfield, Illinois, 62701, United States

The State House Inn - an Ascend Collection Hotel
Expedia.com Hotels.com Booking.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• WulfstanTraveller's Profile Photo

Good hotel, especially for price

This is a simple but nice, modern hotel in an updated building from circa 1960 that has aged quite well. It's not fancy, in some aspects it's a bit bare, but it seems well-run and has been updated pretty well. It has a full, free hot breakfast (not just cereal and danishes), and it is right next to the current capitol and near bars, restaurants, etc. It's also only a few blocks from the old capitol, Lincoln law office, etc. It's also inexpensive.

Unique Quality: Great location, great price.

Directions: Right downtown, about a block from the capitol.

• hawk460's Profile Photo

This is not a Clarion Hotel

At looking at the website about this particular hotel,,I thought it might be a great hotel,,since I stay at a Clarion hotel before,,,NOT!!!!!
    The rooms are old and out dated,,it is a depressing room,,I was going to stay two nights,,,but checked the next morning,,,plese do not stay here,,it is way over rated and over priced for the room you get.
    Stay anywhere else except here,,,you'll be glad you read this review!!!!

More about The State House Inn, A Clarion Collection Hotel

Highest-quality hotel in Springfield

by TripAdvisor Member Lisamarch

This is the second time we've stayed at the Statehouse Inn. Beautiful furnishings - quiet room and really clean. Close to downtown so you can walk if you want to area bars, but the hotel bar is great. Excellent staff and the bedding is so comfortable!!

Every convenience considered - very friendly!

by TripAdvisor Member travelgarden

Although the outside and lobby of the hotel seemed dated, don't be fooled. This was one of the most covenient and friendly hotels we've every stayed in. The rooms were very clean with all the necessary amenities and more - robes, coffee maker, blow dryer, thermostat. Didn't want for much! The staff was VERY friendly and a recommednation for the "Chesapaeke Seafood House" for dinner (and making reservations for us) was a fantastic idea. We drove, but you could walk to many of the sites, especially the Lincoln Museum. Outstanding! Ample parking on both sides of building. The breakfast was over-the-top.....eggs, bacon, make/own waffles, cereal, fruit and, again, hardworking, friendly staff. Would stay again anytime - good value!

Would not go back

I stayed in the hotel this past week. The room was very tiny, I've stayed in motels near the interstate that had bigger rooms. When the desk clerk was checking me in, she announced verbally what my room number was, for everyone to hear. As a woman who frequently travels alone for business, this is a big no-no. The mattress in one bed in my room was so worn that when I lay down, I rolled towards the middle. The other was as hard as a rock. The hotel's website boasts 'soundproof' rooms, but I heard every train that went by during the night. While I appreciated the cleanliness of the room and the guest bathrobes that were furnished, it took nearly 20 minutes for the water in the shower to get hot, so of course by then I had showered in cold water. It would have been nice if the hotel had a restaurant too. I would not stay here again.

Amazing style and hospitality

by TripAdvisor Member austx

This hotel was so much more than I expected. Everyone on the staff from the front desk and the bartender to housekeeping and breakfast crew was friendly and helpful. The hotel has been updated but kept its mid-century modern cool both in the lobby and rooms. The rooms are well designed with high speed Internet and plenty of plug ins. The bathroom was spacious and clean. The location is close to all of the Lincoln attractions and Frank Lloyd Wright's Dana-Thomas House (a must see). We also had a great weekend price. Highly recommended!!

Number One??? What are the others like?

by TripAdvisor Member Hotel-o-phobe

I’m surprised that this Hotel does not get a vote for “good for students” as there seemed to be a lot on our floor holding impromptu get-togethers.

However, being objective...... Location – excellent, a couple of blocks from the main square –easy to navigate the grid system of roads.

Check-in – fine, young lady, wasn’t busy and we checked in quickly.

Communal areas – not the kind of place that wants you to linger. Modern furniture and the only people playing the baby grand piano were three college kids all at the same time. The bar, we visited because we were given a complimentary drink voucher. It was excessively noisy with a middle-aged, female party and very loud rock music. The barman couldn’t hear our order twice – but he never though to turn the music down. He did go on to light up a cigarette and vacuum up around some tables.

The “dining room” was horrible populated with melamine tables and plastic chairs and round the edges of the room a self service was in operation – at 9.30, most of the food had gone. I have honestly seen similar décor and layout at a UK Youth Hostel.

We had room 618 – a suite which was large, the king size bed was very comfortable with a thick mattress and soft topper. Duvets on the bed (better than blankets). Although our room was at the end of the corridor, it was opposite the ice machine, but luckily the bedroom had a door so we never heard any noise from this. Ice machines are on floors 2, 4 and 6, drink machines are on 3, 5 and 7. On the subject of this, the vending machines on 3 and 5 were empty and as complimentary water was only supplied on arrival, I went down to ask where we could get some bottled water. They have a shop – water from the machine was a dollar, water from the shop was about 1.75! Oh and they sell sweets there as well.

Back to the room. I just didn’t like it. There are waist high windows all along one end of the wall, but the room was so gloomy, not helped by the walls being painted a shade I’ve yet to find a description of – dark mushroom or drab olive, same for carpet. It needs white walls to brighten the place up. I agree with a previous comment about the sofa, I sat on it, but not for long, it needs more bolsters.

Coffee machine, fridge and microwave were supplied in the room and little sink. Two lamps needed new bulbs adding to the poor light quality. Oh and the ubiquitous huge tv.

Bathroom, like someone else said, small, but well equipped, but I didn’t use the robe as it has someone else’s lipstick on the sleeve. Lots of towels, and Nutrogena products along with a hair dryer.

My husband used the gym and said it was very well equipped.

Oh, and at 9.10am (check out is 11am) with a do not disturb notice on the door, housekeeping knocked saying she thought we’d checked out!

In summary, trying to be "boutique" and failing miserably - good for business people, you get in, out and it's clean.

Great place

by TripAdvisor Member clvier1

Super place....outstanding breakfast buffet. Has a funky vibe and have never had problems with noise there. Trains, yes....but I guess I'm a heavy sleeper. Please note....the picture in the tripadvisor caption is incorrect. This is a multi-story (5 or 6 at least) hotel, not a motor inn as pictured. There is an inn downtown with a similar name that is dreadful!

Best of what Springfield can offer

by TripAdvisor Member Timmy485

Having previously lived in Springfield for most of my life, I can say that this is definitely one of the best places to stay in Springfield. Now take into consideration it is Springfield, IL. It's not the prettiest city on the planet nor is there a ton of stuff to do. Most of the buildings in town need a face lift or some explosives. We went back for Memorial Day weekend and got a room so we could have some time to ourselves and be within walking distance to the bars (One of the only things to do in Springfield is drink). This hotel offers a great place to stay when visiting since it is downtown and close to some of the attractions. This hotel was fairly run down before the renovations. Having been a Springfield Police Officer, I would have said never to stay there. Now it is completely changed. The retro look to the hotel is nice and the beds are very comfortable. The bar downstairs is a good place to get a drink and has a very cheery bartender. Pat at the front desk is a wealth of knowledge on where to go or where to eat. My only negative comment is the noise in the morning. When I stay in hotels I like to sleep in usually. I find it irritating when the staff has to come by and knock on every door. Unfortunately this happened. Plus you could hear everything that happened in the hallway like the door was standing open. Other than that, this hotel is great. It's no resort but you aren't going to find any 5 star hotels in Springfield.

A wonderful experience!!

We stayed at this hotel 6/30, 7/1 and checked out 7/2 with our toy poodle. We thought this was an excellent hotel. I give it a 10++ on a scale of 1 to 5. My boyfriend and I were very very impressed - and we are very picky people. We had a king-size suite for only $102.00 w/AAA. It was very very clean. The bathroom was immaculate as well. The king-size bed was very soft and the bedding and towels were out of this world. And you talk about friendly . . . check-in and check-out were not a problem and the staff was most gratious. The housekeeping staff went out of their way for us. On Saturday morning I noticed them in the hall and just told them I needed clean towels and the garbage emptied since our dog was in the room. He went right down stairs and brought them right to me. The bartender, Michael, also went out of his way. We ordered pizza on Friday night for delivery and it was late. Michael gave us all the phone numbers and coupons that he had (we didn't even ask him for them) for the delivery pizza joints in the area. The hotel is also within a few blocks walking distance of many downtown eateries and bars. We enjoyed Sammy's Sports Bar - very friendly there, and Chicago Gyros was very tasty. Now they were very unfriendly to us at a bar called "Marley's" so I wouldn't suggest going there. The Abe Lincoln Presidential Museum is fabulous - we were there for 4 hours. You have to actually experience it to understand what I mean, but it is a work of art. I learned so much about Lincoln that I didn't know. If you go to Springfield, with or without family, this is where you want to stay. (P.S. - there is no pool). Enjoy!!

A geat hotel-like staying with the Jetsons

by TripAdvisor Member marion10

I stayed for one night on a group tour. The decor is 60's futuristic- but everything is clean. The beds were wonderful-everyone in my group remarked how comfortable they were. Staff very friendly and accomodating. Great breakfast-convenient location.

Comments