Grizzly Jack's Grand Bear Resort

See Amenities

Skip Grizzly Jacks

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 2, 2012

I got a last minute deal for a two night stay at Grizzly Jacks, so decided to check it out before reading the reviews. Boy was that a mistake. Check in is at 4, but was told on the phone that we could likely get into our room earlier..it's just that the room is guauranteed ready at 4 . We arrived at 3:35...ourroomwasnt ready and we were told to wait. Had to wait in line again at 4 to get our room. We had a family suite with balcony..went to the room and the sliding door was broken with a piece of wood stuck in the frame that wasn't even long enough to keep the door closed. The lock on the slider was completely broken off. Called the front desk and they said they would call maintenance..waited awhile, no maintenance..called back they said it would be awhile..I then asked for a different room..there were none left but they offered to switch us to a kid suite at no additional charge.
Kid suite was okay..be aware the furnishes are cheap..tv is terrible, towels are awful, the water smells and taste bad..grizzly jacks gives you NO information about your stay..no phamplets with channels, food information, hours of water park etc. when I called down about no coffee pot, I was told they serve coffee at the reception desk in the morning(super convenient if you are a single parent!)
Now the water park...I seriously cannot believe someone hasn't gotten hurt here..there are not enough life guards and the ones that Re there seemed disinterested and rarely enforced any of the posted rules..for example, you are not suppose tobe I the lazy river without a tube...there were tons of people in the lazy river without tubes..not one or two, but tons. Life guards would blow whistles T people breaking the rules, but if they didn't listen the lifeguards would just drop it and turn the other way.
Most of the staff at grizzly jacks appeared to not want to be there..ther were not the friendlies bunch of people. And the food is TERRIBLE...we ends up going to the starved rock lodge for our meals..cheaper and much better quality.
Also, be aware..everything cost extra money here..it's ridiculous. I only paid 99 a night had I paid more, I would be livid...it's a shame..this place could have been so much better, especially with its proximity to starved rock, but you can tell they have cut corners everywhere..they put in a zip line over a parking lot..who wants to zip line over a parking lot?
Skip it and stay at starved rock lodge or camp..you'll be more comfortable.

Very poor service, water park run down

by written on April 19, 2012

Charged full price for a water park not fully functioning. Wave pool, one of their biggest features and reason for taking older kids, did not work until 4 p.m. each day...during spring break!!! The manager said they were understaffed and for insurance purposes could not turn it on. So, they were short sited, understaffed yet still charged me full price? What a scam. The amusement park chargex extra for 2 main attractions, so bring your wallet. We found rat pellets by fridge, so did another guest in a villa. Very skimpy on towels and toiletries. Oh, splash station bucket not working, hot tub constanly being shut down, water slide that used to have cool lighted effects is just a plain slide now....none of the features that made this park special were working. YET THEY CHARGED ME FULL PRICE! The manager gave me a whopping $50 off our $680 tab...wow, that didn't even cover the taxes. They also offered a free night, but why would I want to go back? I simply wanted my bill to reflect what I was offered and they did not want to accomodate that.

Many people were in line complaining. Seems this park has lots of problems.

I suspect they are on their way out.

Unique Quality: None. Management needs to attend customer service training. Onsite manager could do nothing but talk like a programmed robot. Same for his boss/manager when I called later on. No one on property to really help deal with anything. Kind of scarey....hope no one ever gets hurt becasue they don't seem to know how to handle basic problems.

Directions: Near Starved Rock park

Very Disapointed!

by written on January 3, 2012

I totally blame myself for this, I am usually very good about reading reviews, but I did not this time and I paid for it. The website is very deceiving, the water park is very small not enough chairs, the main thing we look for is the hot tub and it was out of service, I called customer service a number of times and I was never told about this small bit of information nor is it on the website, totally not worth the money. We stayed in one of the vacation villas very nice if you want to be in your room all day, but wait you get no coffee, no shampoo, not enough toilet paper and no maid service. The food is not good at all, the best part of our stay was going to the Lodge for dinner, tollay recomment the Lodge beautiful, clean, great food!! The only thing we enjoyed was the pizza we had at jacks, the big screen was also not in service;we wanted to watch the game and have some pizza, but no, no game on the big screen. They tell you they are booked and the main attractions are not working. How disapointing will not be returning to Grizly Jacks!!!

Unique Quality: none

Directions: 2643 North Route 178 Utica IL 61373

customers service nightmare

by written on July 29, 2008

I went as part of a large group celebrating a 50th wedding anniversary. Our group had 4 villas and one cabin. We could overlook the dead bug in locker 40 in the women's lockerroom(even though we told them about it on friday and it was still there on sunday). The one thing we can't overlook is the "hassle at checkout". All the rooms were held with 1 person's credit card. At checkout each cabin/villa would settle their bill. I went to checkout with the other family members. I handed over my charge card as did my brother. They charged his card for half but never charged mine. Another family member was charged my portion. I signed a charge slip believing they ran my charge card. Once the error was discovered I tried contacting
Grizzly Jacks and kept getting the run around. They won't reverse the charges and take my card. It was their mistake. They have been very rude and really don't care that they have lost business.

Unique Quality: wave pool was nice

Nearby Grizzly Jack's Grand Bear Resort

• Free Parking
  • Business Services
  • Suites

Utica Travel Forum

Need advice about Utica, Illinois? Visit the Travel Forum for Utica and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Utica hotel reviews