The Willows

325 Clark St, Utica, Illinois, 61373, United States

Satisfaction Average

• overpriced and disappointing

I have to say that this is the worst rip-off for a hotel I’ve ever stayed in. I took my wife to Starved Rock State Park for her birthday and wanted to spend the night in a nice place. The Lodge at the park would only accept a minimum 2 night stay and the park’s other accommodations, Starved Rock Inn, looked a bit dumpy online. So I looked online for another place in Utica and came across what seemed to be a charming (from the website) hotel. It seemed a bit expensive for the area, $156, but it was my wife’s birthday and wanted something nice, so booked it: BIG MISTAKE. I don’t know how to describe the place. It is two levels and cheaply built, think 1970’s suburban apartment complex/motel, but older. Our room was on the first floor, which was awful because the faulty blinds afforded views into our room. Those blinds also failed to block the light bulb shining directly onto our bed all night, making for a less-than refreshing night’s sleep. We couldn’t even complain to have it addressed as the staff left at 6PM. The rest of the interior can be described as ugly tomato soup colored walls, tiny CRT TV, stained couch, and vinyl floors in bathroom. Not acceptable at this price point. I have rarely felt so cheated. For much cheaper, I have stayed at much nicer places, with actual amenities (hot tub, LCD TV, working blinds, clean furniture), in much larger cities. The place should rent for half of what they charged me. The only redeeming feature was that they served us a surprisingly delicious breakfast in the morning. Otherwise: AVOID THIS OVERPRICED DUMP!

Comments