Courtyard by Marriott Hammond

7730 Corinne Drive, I-94 & Kennedy Avenue, Hammond, Indiana, 46323, United States
Courtyard Chicago Southeast/Hammond
Orbitz.com Booking.com Travelocity

More about Hammond

Chicken AlfredoChicken Alfredo

Veal GorgonzolaVeal Gorgonzola

Outside with SeatingOutside with Seating

Oxbow LakeOxbow Lake

new to the area please help

by boodilla

What bus do i catch from the hammond indiana metra south shore line train station, or the east chicago transit metra south shore line station to get the motel 6 located at 3840 179th street 46324. If no bus goes there how do i get close to it using the public transportation in hammond?

Re: new to the area please help

by Dabs

Can I ask why you are staying at the Motel 6? Getting around NW Indiana without a car is a challenge and I wonder once you get to the Motel 6 how you are going to get around.

I just had a look at the maps and none of them go near Cline & 90/94 where the Motel 6 is located.

Travel Tips for Hammond

Local wildlife

by Dabs

Living next to a lake, we see a variety of local wildlife along the shores including swans, geese, egrets, herons and snakes sunning themselves on the 1st warm days of spring. I've seen a few really cool critters when out walking the bike path, one day I saw a red fox slip underneath the fence at Federated Metals, another evening we saw a whole family of beaver out on the lake slapping the water with their tails. The only muskrat I've ever seen was unfortuately in our backyard half dead, probably hit by a car. I've heard there are deer on the other side of the lake but I've never seen one.

Occasionally we also get critters who like to break into our garbage cans, oppossums who really do play dead and raccoons like the one in my photo.

Northern States Life Insurance Company building

by sambarnett

I don't usually care for Neoclassical architecture, but this building on Hohman Avenue, just south of downtown, has some interesting detail work. It is now home to a Montessori school and my boss does the pictures here. I see this building often.

Jean Shepard

by Dabs

The author, Jean Shepard, was a local Hammond boy. Hohman Indiana, which appears in his books, is actually supposed to represent Hammond.

Jean Shepard's most well known work is the movie "Christmas Story" which was adapted from his collection of short stories "In God we Trust, All Others Pay Cash". Jean Shepard provides the narration in the movie and also appears in a cameo. Some of the short stories originally appeared in Playboy magazine.

The Frosties

by Dabs

Every year on the darkest evening of the year (the winter solistice, December 21st), my husband leads a band of "Frosties" over the golf course and through the woods for a reading of the Robert Frost poem "Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening". In 2010, Chicago Tribune columnist Barbara Brotman joined us and here is a link to the article she wrote that appeared on January 6, 2011

"Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening" By Robert Frost

Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Sailing at Wolf Lake

by Dabs

There's a small yacht club, Illiana Yacht Club, tucked on the other side of Wolf Lake that hosts weekend and holiday regattas during the summer. This is the perfect place to store and sail smaller boats and I hear they are always looking for crew.

Comments