2801 Guilford St, Huntington, IN 46750

Jukebox at George'sJukebox at George's

Travel Tips for Huntington

The Sunken Gardens!

by treerose

This very unique park area was converted from its former existence as the basement of a school or library I believe. Much of the original underground wall structures still remain, with two staircases leading down into the bottom. And the cornerstone of the building that once stood erect upon this spot is also displayed at ground level. There are two little pond/fountains with fish in them, sitting areas, and a tunnel under the nearby road (Park Ln) leading to the park area that continues on the other side. I especially fell in love with this place when I came upon it during the Christmas season one year. I could not believe how nicely lit up everything was-- from lights on trees to elves to Santa to a big Christmas wreath, the gardens became transformed into a holiday wonderland, a delight to the eyes of young and old. A few years ago, they used to also set up a funny-looking scene visible during the daytime of Santa's legs sticking out of an actual chimney from a small building on the park premises. I have a picture somewhere. I'd love to post it, as soon as I get a scanner. In recent years, I have not seen them put this scene together at all. Not sure what happened. But I preserved it on film! To catch the holiday transformation, I highly recommend visiting between Thanksgiving and Christmas/New Years. Often the newspaper or the Whatz Up calendar will have the details as the time approaches.

Comments