Americas Best Value Inn Hotel

Travelocity Expedia.com Orbitz.com

More about Indianapolis

BUTLER BASKETBALL PALACEBUTLER BASKETBALL PALACE

Peyton Manning - the best QB in the NFLPeyton Manning - the best QB in the NFL

photo by kellynorikophoto by kellynoriko

Scottish Rite Bronze ChandelierScottish Rite Bronze Chandelier

house/trance/techno nightclubs

by coxy

hello,

i will be spending a week in indianapolis over christmas. can anyone tell me a good nightclub that playes house/techno or trance music. i have heard that talbott street does but isnt that a gay bar?

thanks in advance

RE: house/trance/techno nightclubs

by crimcrop

Coxxy, your visit to Indy probably came and went a long time ago. But to answer you question, Fusion nightclub plays house, techno, and trance music (and also some hip-hop). It is a a large and somewhat "underground" dance club located at 603 and 605 East Market St. downtown. Unfortunately, I heard it may have closed just recently--so you might want to try the Vault located at 120 E Market St.--it is a large L.A. "underground" style club which has eclectic live music and dancing , but also sometimes plays techno, house, etc.

Yes, Talbott Street located at 2145 N. Talbott St. is a huge gay dance club, but it is certainly open to anyone who wants to go dance and have fun. No one will bother you and there will be some straight folks there, if that is what you are worried about. For the type of music you want, I would think that Talbott Street would be your best bet. However, if you feel more comfortable not being in a predominately gay place, then you can try Fusion or The Vault. Also, there are several very chic nightclubs with swanky lounges and hot dance floos along South Meridian street--Ice Lounge (235 S. Meridian), Subterra (250 S. Meridian), 6 Lounge (247 S. Meridian)--these clubs will play some house music, but they are definitely not strictly techno places and they will be alot pricier and much more glamorous than the industrial techno club scene you are probably seeking.

Travel Tips for Indianapolis

The people are wonderful and they care

by denver1982

I have been through Indianapolis many times (going from Columbus, Oh to Denver, colorado) and the people are very, very friendly.and the people in Columbus or Pittsburgh cant even act is friendly as the hoosiers are)

Indidnapolis I would rate as the 2nd nicest and polite city I have been though, 1st place is Denver where people are excessively friendly

Indy as the locals call it has the largest childrens museum in the world, one of the cleanest downtowns I have seen with a 5 story mall city downtown (that is not vacant like the one in columbus, ohio its envious neighbor 200 miles to the east) there are people who will fill you up on samplers in the food court

Indy has the cleanest greyhound station in the country.....

I would definitly go visit Indianpolis, in fact I would mind living there (except for the north-east part)

Back Roads of Spenser, Indiana

by deecat

When Jill and I left Indianapolis to go to Bloomington and Spenser, Indiana, I had no idea that it would be such an adventure.

First of all, within the city limits of Bloomington, we were lost three times trying to following three different sets of instruction. Finally, we left Bloomington and headed toward Jill's ancestor's home (the Mayfield house). Our ultimate goal was to gain permission to go on cemetery property so Jill could take photographs of a family cemetery.
The people were not home; thus, we took a change, drove to the next road, parked the car along the side of the road with huge gravel trucks speeding by, making their "runs" delivering rock. Then, we walked toward the cemetery.

There was a trailor between us and the cemetery. Signs were posted about private property and "Beware of the Dog...Sure enough, there was a chained dog just barking away. Should we try it? Just then, a lady came out of the trailer, and I asked her if we could cross the property to get to the cemetery. She said, "Sure, the cemetery is public property". You could have fooled me. There were two barbed-wire fences all around it. Just before we reached the fence, I spied this old car abandoned in this field. A photo opportunity!

We reached the cemetery, climbed under the fence, and took our pictures. But what an adventure, but I'm happy because I was able to take this photo!

Broad Ripple Brew Pub

by sticki about Broad Ripple Brew Pub

Good food. Plenty of good (clearly labeled) vegetarian options, which is actually surprising given the rather distinctive Hoosier atmosphere. Good local ales on tap. A little tough to find (though that might just be me) and parking, like everywhere else in Broad Ripple, is creative.

Broad Ripple Village

by Scaramouche21

Like many an artistically-inclined, college-aged traveller, my first move upon visiting a new city is often to find the funky/edgy/boho area of town. It wasn't too hard to find in Indy! At the advice of a gas station clerk, my boyfriend and I found ourselves headed toward Broad Ripple village. A little tough to locate for two first-time visitors, this neighborhood was worth the effort. Broad Ripple's mélange of artists, musicians, university students and other all-around cool people sould appeal to those looking for a fun place to explore. The village is absolutely brimming with galleries, unique boutiques, coffee houses, and cheap ethnic foods. Come the night, one can also find a lively music, bar & club scene! While in Broad Ripple. be sure to check out the nearby ArtsPark.

Sunken Garden/Cenotaph Square 1931

by deecat

On a much brighter, warmer day, Jill and I ventured forth to view the beautiful American Legion Mall where we saw the Sunken Garden/Cenotaph Square 1931.

Cenotaph Square was built as a tribute to Indiana's war dead, and the focal point is a rectangular, black granite cenotaph (a raised, empty tomb) that rests on a low green & red granite base. The base rests on a pavement of polished red & green granite squares. There is a bronze wreath with central star located on each of the east, west, & south sides of this pavement.

There is an inscription on the tomb and a memorial on the north side to James Bethal Gresham of Evansville, Indiana, who was the 1st member to lose his life in World War I.
The photo shows one of the four black granite columns with simple gold necking bands and gold eagles in place of capitals.

South of here you are able to see a grass mall that extends to North Street. But, you can see all of the Plaza and the downtown Indianapolis skyline.

Comments