Candlewood Indianapolis Airport

Candlewood Suites Indianapolis Airport
IHG Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Satisfaction Average

More about Indianapolis

Indianapolis Soldiers and Sailors MemorialIndianapolis Soldiers and Sailors Memorial

Central Canal looking east towards downtownCentral Canal looking east towards downtown

Dave the cook!Dave the cook!

Squirrel at Jack & Vivias, SpencerSquirrel at Jack & Vivias, Spencer

Travel Tips for Indianapolis

Crown Hill Cemetery ranks...

by Boozoo

Crown Hill Cemetery ranks among one of the nation's largest and when you enter the grounds, you will see what I mean. I know.... 'you want me to visit a cemetery???' Believe it or not, this is a highly reccommended spot in Indianapolis - the people and the architecture are fascinating, the history is engrossing,and if you're from a foreign culture, it serves as an all encompassing look at American burial customs. As with many sites and destinations, it really helps you appreciate it more if you are read up on the local area history before visiting. Otherwise, names like Irsay, Eiteljorg, and Lilly may not mean a heck of a lot to you :-)

Oh.... and allow a lot of time... this place is huge!!!

The highlight and culmination of the day should be the view from the peak. To find out more, check out their website where I got the picture you're looking at now. They have info, locators, maps, history, etc. You can also check my Crown Hill travelogue, but keep in mind it is not yet complete - I need special weather to catch the 'crown jewel' of shots to truly make it complete. :-)

Finding Distant Relatives

by deecat

One of our side trips was to Spencer, Indiana, which proved to be a great adventure. Here, in Jill's words is what happened:

"I'm a genealogist with Indiana roots, so one day of our trip involved genealogy. I wanted to see a distant relative that I had phoned, written, and e-mailed some years ago. When I contacted her and asked if we could meet at the Spencer, Indiana, genealogy libray, she replied that she and her husband would like to have Dee and me come to lunch at her country home so we could talk about our family research.

My distant cousin and I re-established our relationship (we are related in two family lines) while Dee toured the lovely house with my cousin's husband and talked gardening. I think we both had a wonderful time.

I found some information at the Spencer Library's genealogy room that filled in a blank space in my family history. I must add that this small town's genealogy area equals or surpasses those where I volunteer in suburban Chicago. Much of the material printed by the genealogy society is also available on the web under Owen County genealogy.

Note: I took this photograph at Vivian and Jack's home in Spencer, Indiana, while Jill and I were on our "genealogy adventure.

Candy, Coffee, Tea, Italian Soda....YUM

by deecat about Ganache Chocolatier

While visiting Zionsville, Indiana, one rain-filled Thurday in April, 2005, Jill and I discovered a fantastic place to purchase our favorites...
First, we perused the place, checking out all the wonderful chocolates. Next, we ordered one of our all-time favorites.....Italian Cream Sodas. I ordered a Vanilla, and Jill ordered a Raspberry. Wow! real cream. We savored that as we sat down and chatted about our magnificent week in Indianapolis and the surrounding area. Then we looked at the fun greeting cards, and Jill purchased one for my daughter Jill's baby shower. The woman who waited on us was just delightful, and we left Ganache Chocolatier as very happy people! As for what chocolates we purchased, let's see if I can remember. I bought Dark Chocolate with nuts call "Chocolate Bark for my husband Allan. They also had wonderful caramels so I purchased different kinds: vanilla with and without nuts; hazelnut; and chocolate. Absolutely excellent.

Jill ordered several kinds of chocolates and tried a Peppermint "Bark" which she let me try. It was refreshing.

If you ever find yourself in Zionsville, Indiana, stop in at the Ganache Chocolatier; you'll be glad that you did!

Circle Tower on Monument Circle

by atufft

On the south side of the circle are a chocolate shop and outdoor cafe. While on the east side is a substantial high rise art deco structure worthy of note for it's curve that matches the Memorial Circle. Known as the Circle Tower, this 17 story tall structure dates back to the 1930's when it became the tallest building on Monument Circle. Again, checking out the interior of this building is on my short list for the next visit to town.

The Congressional Medal of Honor Memorial

by djramey

The highest award a United States Military man or woman can recieve is the Congressional Medal of Honor. This light blue and white neck-badge is awarded to those who have "performed an act of such conspicuous gallantry as to rise 'above and beyond the call of duty.'" Of all military personel since 1861, only 3,459 have been awarded, thus without saying it is an honor to receive such a prize.

The memorial honors all of those who have won this prestigous award by placing their name, city, and state on a specific wall in this memorial. The memorial is located on the White River Canal Walk on the northern bank. A group of 27 curved glass walls between 7 and 10 feet make up the memorial which represent 15 conflicts the United States have been a part of. There is also a audio/visual display that allows visitors to listen and watch stories regarding their award. The memorial was dedicated on May 28, 1999, the last Memorial Day weekend of the 20th century.

The Indianapolis memorial, is the only memorial in the United States that honors the most highly decorated and respected soldiers. There is no other Congressional Medal of Honor Memorial in the USA. Only around 3,500 soldiers have ever earned this award, more than half were awarded after death. The name of each recipient is marked into one of the 27 curved glass mountings. Visitors will walk through free of charge in one of the most beautiful areas in all of Indianapolis.

Comments