Holiday Inn Indianapolis East

6990 East 21st Street, I70 & Shadeland Avenue, Indianapolis, Indiana, 46219, United States
Ramada Indianapolis East
Orbitz.com Booking.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Indianapolis

WeddingWedding

Nov.: the monumentNov.: the monument

photo by anonymous VTerphoto by anonymous VTer

The Elizabethan Ball RoomThe Elizabethan Ball Room

Need hotel recommendation in Indianpolis

by AcornMan

My family of four (including a 6-year old and 3-year-old) will be making a short visit to Indianpolis this coming weekend to visit the zoo. We'd like a relatively inexpensive hotel within a short drive from the zoo. Any recommendations?

Re: Need hotel recommendation in Indianpolis

by DSwede

Very close to the zoo is a Hyatt, Hilton, Westin, and a Marriott if I remember correctly.

I know there are Holiday Inn Express, Comfort Suites and a Days Inn.

If you have Google Earth/Maps, type in "hotels near Indianapolis zoo"
This will give you address, phone number and directions too if you want it.

Travel Tips for Indianapolis

Indiana War Memorial Plaza Historic District

by deecat

There was no sun & my photo looks like a black and white!

I was "blown away" by the quality and quantitiy of war memorials in Indianapolis. It's just imperative to take a self-guided walking tour of this historic district. If you go the the Artsgarden first, you are able to pick up several pamphlets that will guide you.

After World War I, an idea came up to build a memorial to the Indiana veterans and to all service men & women who served during World War I. They also wanted to bring the American Legion National Headquarters to downtown Indianapolis. This all happened around 1919. Other cities also wished to do the same thing.
(Washington, D.C., Kansas City, Minneapolis, & Detroit). Indianapolis won, and the Plaza as a whole was designed in 1923. It went up in sections, and it took from 1925 until 1950.
(We noticed that they are always improving it)

Even though it was designed to honor the World War I veterans, it is now dedicated to all men & women of Indiana who served in the uniformed service of the USA. It covers a 7 block area.

This huge plaza displays a concept of " classical formality & grand monumental scale used by city planners, architects, & artists in the [City Beautiful] movement of the early 20th Century".

This area is one of the most popular downtown areas, and after touring it, I can see why. Jill and I visited the Indiana War Memorial Plaza Historic District the first day we arrived. It was not a great day for taking photographs, so we retraced some of our steps another day.
The Area included:
Federal Building*
Univeristy Park (University Square)
Indiana World War Memorial Building
Veteran's Memorial Plaza (Obelisk Square)
American Legion Mall
Marion County Public Library 1916*
U.S.S. Indianapolis *
Soldiers & Sailors Monument*

Those listed with an (*) are not part of the Indiana War Memorial Plaza but are right in the area and closely related.

Conseco Fieldhouse

by grkboiler

Conseco Fieldhouse is in my opinion one of the best places in the world to watch basketball. This is an amazing stadium that was built to resemble the old Indiana fieldhouses to fit with the high school and college basketball tradition in the state. It also helps that there isn't a bad seat in there.

Conseco Fieldhouse opened in 1999 and seats 18,345. The cost was $183 million.

The Fieldhouse is home of the NBA's Pacers and the WNBA's Fever, along with the Big 10 basketball tournament on even numbered years. Concerts and other special sporting events are also held here.

Check the website for events and ticket info. The number below is for the Conseco Fieldhouse box office.

Buca di Beppo

by grkboiler about Buca di Beppo

Buca di Beppo is a chain restaurant with good Italian food. All dining is meant to be done family style with huge portions. Small portions serve 2-3 people and large portions serve 4-6. This is a good place if you are going out with a big group of people.

The dining rooms are festive and decorated with all kinds of interesting photos and Italian things. Service is good but not the quickest. Food is reasonably priced - you get a ton of food for your money, but remember it is also meant to be family style.

Overall, it is good but I have had better truly authentic Italian food.

Hours are:
Monday - Thursday: 11-10
Friday - Saturday: 11-11
Sunday: 11-9 We had an order of garlic bread with the Quattro al Forno, which is a sampler plate of all the baked pasta specialties. No complaints - everything was great.

Medal of Honor Memorial

by The_Highwayman

The Congressional Medal of Honor Memorial is located within White River State Park near downtown Indianapolis along the canal. A series of 27 panels lists the names and conflicts of each of the recipients of the Medal of Honor. Two names in particular came to mind while I walked through the memorial and I was easily able to look them up at a computer kiosk which will tell you the exact panel and location of the recipient on the memorial. An audio recording over the speaker system occasionally plays Medal of Honor stories and all of the stories I heard during my visit were recalled by the recipients themselves.

Children's Museum of...

by dzni

Children's Museum of Indianapolis
OK, I suppose this is aimed more for children. It's an interactive science museum, for the most part, although they have a carousel here too! Anyway, there are several floors of things to do here and I'm always hearing the name mentioned around where I live. It's supposedly one of the best in the nation. I've only been once when I was much older, in my teens, in high school, as part of a group seeking to compare other science museums in the area to the Louisville Science Center... so I'm not sure if I got the full effect! ;)

This place was very nice, and I definitely reccommend it if you have children.

Comments