535 S West Street, Indianapolis, Indiana, 46225, United States
IHG Booking.com Travelocity

More about Indianapolis

Christ Episcopal Church and MonumentChrist Episcopal Church and Monument

the guide 3"X6"the guide 3"X6"

global gifts on Mass Ave.global gifts on Mass Ave.

Happy Birthday LillyHappy Birthday Lilly

Travel Tips for Indianapolis

Visiting My Brother & His Family

by deecat

I have a sister and two brothers, and one brother (Dustin) is 19 years younger than I am. Dustin was born when I was in college. He grew up in Indianapolis when my parents lived there, and he stayed in the area and still lives in Indianapolis. So, when Jill and I decided to take our adventure to Indianapolis, I told her that we would have to visit my brother and his family. She wanted to meet them, so she did. It was great fun.

On the Sunday afternoon after a full day of touring historic houses and the huge cemetery, we drove to my brother's rather new home. Dustin and his wife Sue Anne have 5 children ranging in ages from twenties down to six.

When we arrived, Dustin, Sue Anne, their five children, Justin, Mandi, Zack, Anndie, and Hannah were there along with Mandi's "husband-to-be" and Sue Anne's mother. Whew! No wonder Dustin has a five bedroom home.

Introductions were made; we toured the house; and then it was time for the homemade "feast"!
It was quite a meal with a pork roast from the grill, salads, mushrooms, corn on the cob, etc. We also had a delicious strawberry cream pie.

It was then time to take photographs. The one I chose to use here was taken by Jill and includes Dustin and the family plus deecat. (Dustin is the one with the beard) It was now time for Jill and I to return to our Bed and Breakfast before it got dark. Dustin lives on the opposite side of Indianapolis as our Bed and Breakfast!

Wouldn't you know it. We got lost and had to "guess" our way home. I'm proud of Jill because she got us home safely, even though it took twice the time.
All-in-all, it was a grand day. I always think that it is fun to visit relatives and rehash "the good old days".

Green Drinks!

by staindesign

Green Drinks is a concept that is in many cities. Our green drinks has really expended over the last year and a half. The group tends to meet all over the city, having a speaker just about each month. The first tuesday of every month the group meets, the best way to find out their location is to find them on facebook at GreenDrinks Indy.

greendrinksindy@gmail.com

Rathskeller

by sticki about Rathskeller

I don't eat there, cuz despite my Bohemian lineage, I have a strict rule about not eating anything that ends in "wust" or "kraut". But for those who like that kind of thing, I hear it's excellent German food. I've only been of the Biergarten, which can be wildly entertaining after a few imports, esp. when the Polka Boys get going. It's a nice change of pace. Gotta try the German imports in the Biergarten.

Colonel Eli Lilly Civil War Museum

by deecat

One of Jill's favorite sites on our trip to Indianapolis was the Colonel Eli Lilly Civil War Museum on street level at the Soldiers & Sailors Monument. Here is what she wrote about it:

"The bottom of the Soldiers & Sailors Monument conceals a Civil War Museum free to the public.
This nicely organized area squeezes into a small space the soldier's experience from home to training camp to battle and death or return. The exhibit provides a satisfying mixture of video re-enactment and real artifacts (especially identified carte de visite style soldier photos).
The museum has few interactive elements other than the videos, so is not geared toward young children, but the history or Civil War buff will want to spend time here.
I especially liked the Regimental flags displayed. And, the walk over loose boards to the sound of marching feet from the video on the wall gave credence to the miles covered by the Civil War Soldier"

There are two interactive computers that allow one to trace the path of a letter sent from the battlefield to a loved one on the homefront. We did not see any, but occasionally, a civilian reenactor will help explain the Indiana homefront perspective of the war.

There are 9 large-scale video sceens within this small area that show live reenactments of historical battles & common events during the Civil War

Both the Soldiers & Sailors Monument and Colonel Eli Lilly Civil War Museum pay tribute to the thousands of Hoosiers who sacrificed to support the Union cause. What a wonderful place to learn, to reflect, and to "experience" one of the most memorable times in our history.

I have no picture of the museum, but here is a POST CARD of the monument where it resides.

Butler University

by dzni

I've only driven by here a couple times, but it's a very nice looking university just east of the city. It's in a nice neighborhood with old, large overhanging trees. The university supposedly has a great program in pharmacy. And I know that Purdue attends some track invitationals here as well. Also, I attended a performance by Ray Romano here, which was excellent. They have a very nice theatre here right on campus!

Comments