50 South Capitol Avenue, Indianapolis, Indiana, 46204, United States

Westin.com Orbitz.com Booking.com

• gkitzmil's Profile Photo

Westin

$100+

Unique Quality: the corner suites are fabulous - ask for a deal on one facing North East for a weekend. The glass block curved bedroom facing the capitol building is truly unique.

Directions: Capitol Avenue at Washington Street (closest to the football dome and convention center but 2 blocks from the heart of the city)

More about The Westin Indianapolis

The Westin Indianapolis Needs Help or Change the Name to Holiday Inn

by TripAdvisor Member derbycityvisitor

We stayed at the Westin on December 9th. We generally stay at 4 star hotels or higher. This Westin needs renovation. Its current condition does not equal Westin's reputation. The rooms are small, especially the bathrooms. The carpet was buckled in our room. The overall decor in the main lobby was in need of upgrades. If you want to stay at a four star hotel in Indianapolis, I would not recommend the Westin until they renovate it. There are other options close by, ie. the Marriott, the Hyatt and the Omni, all conected by pedways to each other, the shopping mall, the onvention center and the RCA Dome.

Use Hotwire and it can't be beat

by TripAdvisor Member mrkvndns

I recently stayed at the Westin and have no complaints, but I'm sure others who were staying there have/had many and some will likely be voiced here. I stayed on a particularly busy weekend in downtown Indy. I got to the hotel around 1:00 to check in. I was told that the valet lot was full so I would have to park in a public parking lot. I got one of the last spots in this lot. Later on, I talked to guests who had to park in a parking lot for a mall or other places and they were not happy. Check-in took less than 10 minutes for me. However, a friend of mine checked in about an hour after me and had to wait in line for 40 minutes before he could check in.
As for the actual rooms I have no complaints. Everything was very clean and neat. I will say that the bathroom could use some modernizing, but it was spotlessly clean and in good working condition. I was particularly impressed with the quality of the bed and linens. We had a king bed. I was very impressed with the overall size of the room, especially for a downtown hotel.
I would avoid Shulas. I had lunch there and although the service was good and the food tasted alright it was not remotely worth the price. I did not use the hotel swimming pool or other fetures so I can't say what they are like.
In the end, I would give a positive review to the Indy Westin. I'm not sure the hotel lives up to its 4-star rating, and I don't think it would be worth the regular room rate. However, you can get a room there for around $90 on Hotwire, which in my opinion is worthwhile.
One last point, from a convenience stand-point there is no better downtown Indianapolis hotel. The Westin is connected to the convention center, RCA dome, and shopping via an enclosed, heated walkway. In my mind this convenience is worth a lot. We went to a basketball game at the RCA Dome and only had to walk outside for about 10-20 feet. I'll never attend another event at any of those locations without staying at the Westin.

Calling the Westin a 4-star hotel is a stretch

by TripAdvisor Member ksummerlee

We stayed in Indianapolis for an event at the RCA Dome on Saturday, December 10th, 2005.
We were able to get a great rate on Priceline ($110 total, tax included. (Much better than the $179/night they were using on the Starwood site ) We would have been very annoyed had we paid $200 a night, because this hotel is in no way a 4 star hotel or worth that rate.
We arrived at 2:30pm and were told, like others posting here, that the valet spots were full because "it's a really busy weekend downtown". They directed me to a garage one block up, which was full. I ended up parking 4 blocks away in a garage and walking back to the hotel.
The line to check in was very long, as most people staying there were arriving for the event at the Dome, which started at 4pm. After waiting 45 minutes, we were checked in but then told to come back in two hours because no rooms were ready. My Boyfriend kindly called the manager over to let them know we would be receiving a room right then, which magically became available after he complained.
It seems that they aren't equipped to manage the hotel at capacity if they can't have rooms ready and don't have enough parking spaces to accomodate their guests. I don't think a 4 star hotel would let their guests wait in a long line only to tell them that no rooms were ready for them to check into, especially considering it was past 3pm, the supposed check-in time.
Stained carpets, very small bathroom that I wasn't sure were the cleanest. Beds were indeed the only thing that were up to the standards the Westin is known for. We took a look at the pool,and the whirlpool from afar looked quite dirty.
The one nice thing is its connection via walk-ways to many downtown attractions, so if you get a good rate like we did, and aren't expecting total luxury, then it works. Just don't expect a 4-star hotel.

What a joke of a hotel

I stayed at the Weston Dec. 3-5th. When I was checking in I heard many saying that they did not have any hot water when taking a shower. I thought maybe since the Colts were playing that day maybe the hotel just could not handle the extra people. Needless to say both Monday and Tuesday mornings my shower was cold. By this time they had heard it so much they just kept saying a water heater was broke and they were offering no comps. If we paid that much money couldn't they call in a plummer to fix it?

I was at a convention at the time and the public restrooms left a lot to be desired. Many of the stalls were not working and no one seemed to want to fix the problems when management had been notified. The banquet people were very nice and did go out of their way to make sure everyone got what they needed.

I always thought people rated to hard but I must admit the reviews were right. The rooms were old, furniture was dirty and the bathroom was gross.

Not 4 Star !

Was there for the Steeler/Colt playoff game and spent two nights.Couldn't check in till 5pm !!Two hours behind.Hotels packed all weekend and two people working the check-in counter.Overpriced with small bathroom and mine had a clogged sink that made noise all night as it drained.Also the hvac(heater/cooling) unit kept me up most of the night.Parking is additional $30/day and taxes unreal. Making my two night stay and USA today paper costing me almost $800.
The bed and sheets and pillows are to die for I must admit.Shula's Steakhouse is 4 Star from any of the steaks to the service and very satisfied there.The best thing about the Westin is the location with connecting bridges and the bed itself, not worth $300/night in my mind.

pay-per-breath cheapo dump with nice pillows

We arrived late at night and when we got to our SMALL room we found a hole in the door where the peep hole should be so anyone walking by could look in. We also found what they called two queen -size bed, which really were doubles, instead of a single Kingsize as we were promised. When we called down to change rooms, they told us they were sold out, but would move us in the morning. We had to stuff toilet paper in the peep hole. The Westin bed Is comfortable, but TINY. Nice pillows. In the morning, our shower backed up, and the front desk still refused to move us--the whole 5 day stay. They did unclog the shower and fix the peep hole.

Weird carpet stains in the room and displaced ceiling panels baring the ductwork in the hallway.

Do yourself a favor--if you get stuck here DO NOT order the in-room continental breakfast. For 20 bucks you get a single microwaved small stiff danish, a glass of slightly fermenting oj, a decent little fruit salad, and a selection of 3 random undesirable teabags. Thanks. Walk downstairs and hit the starbucks.

Late night chiken soup is tasty but it gave me a stomach ache. While I'm on the subject, the bathroom is PAINFULLY small. Nice hairdryer. Nice bathrobe.

BEWARE: if you using the fridge to chill your own drink, you will be charged a $25 restocking fee. Nothing in this hotel is free. In-room movies can cost upto $20 for a new release. Internet is $10.55 per day. Did you want to use the business center? That will cost you per minute.

There is a nice skywalk connecting to a mall and theatre and the Marriott. Stay there.

Could've been better.

by TripAdvisor Member brhtjh

We had an overnight trip planned for Indy. The going rate for the Westin was 209.00 a night. I pricelined it and got a room for 75.00 a night. I expected a lot more out of a Westin than what was there. The service was great. The hotel needed some serious upkeep. You could still smell the new carpeting so I know there have been renovations completed. The pool was cold and outdated. The hallways had scuffs all along them. The bathrooms were small enough that you had to shut the door to be able to turn around (we are not big people). This Westin is your everyday run of the mill hotel. Nothing fancy or out or the ordinary. Definately not worth the 200.00 plus rate they charge. Parking cost us 25.0 per day plus tip. A trip to the gift shop for a bottle of coke, a package of peanuts, and an ice cream sandwich was 10.00. In the future I would choose not to stay here. If I did priceline again for downtown Indy, I wouldn't go over 50.00 for fear of overpaying again.

Rooms Yuck; but Function events first rate!

by TripAdvisor Member Beantowngal

I would say all the reviews before mine are pretty much dead on. I just finished staying at this hotel for 7 days. Rooms very small, bathroom tiny (you couldn't 'sit' and close the door at the same time!). On and off hot water availability, constant 'gurgling' heard in my bathroom sink drain....I thought something was about to come up!!! BED IS WONDERFUL AND COZY....JUST THE BEST AFTER A LONG DAY WORKING A CONVENTION!!!!

The hotel promotes they just completed a "deep cleaning' of all rooms and have converted all rooms to a non-smoking facility. Any guest caught smoking in their room will be immediately fined $200. When I entered my room, it was musty and smelt like smoke. Thank God I travel with candles just for this purpose!!!

I must add they are going through renovations...so hopefully some of these negatives will improve.

The refridgerator is a cash cow; not a convenience to the guest. You open and touch anything inside slightly, and you OWN IT!!!

I hosted 5 business functions during my stay and must say the banquet staff was outstanding and the food yummy! I ordered their brunch selection for 45 guests and EVERYONE was complimenting the wait staff on how wonderful the food selections were presented and tasted.

The convenience to the convention center is great - but you can get that over at the Marriott, Hyatt and a few other hotels....but, I heard the Marriott's food isn't all that grand...and they don't have a Shula's restaurant on-site....Shula's is an outstanding (and expensive) steakhouse that shouldn't be missed.

Lots of downtown restaurants within walking distance as well as a shopping mall. I've stayed at the Hyatt across the street before, and think after this recent experience at the Westin, I'll return to the Hyatt (they have a wonderful spinning restaurant at the top of the Hyatt that shouldn't be missed - whether or not you stay at the Hyatt!). GREAT FOOD!

Hope this review is helpful to you!

Traveler from Boston

The Best in Downtown

by TripAdvisor Member ConcordCAPatrick

My family and I stayed at the Westin hotel for 2 nights over the Memorial Day weekend. We were all very impressed with the high standard that the Westin offered us. We were able to secure rooms for $169 for Saturday and Sunday evening. Check in was quick and effective. Staff was very friendly towards our little ones. Rooms were in great shape. Carpeting was new and the beds were in excellent shape. The beds at the Westin really make the difference. The Rahall Letterman racing team was at the hotel this year. The Westin Hotel in Downtown allows for easy access to the speedway. We had less than a 20 minute commute to the track at 9:00am on race day. My only complaint is that the pool was a little cold and the hot tub was not warm. It was nice to stay downtown because you are right in the middle of all the action of the racing teams and the drivers. There were many restaurants close to the hotel. I would recommend the Champs restaurant located in the mall. Prices were reasonable and service was great. I would say that our hotel experience exceeded our high expectations of the Westin. I would stay here again and recommend it to anyone looking for a great race day weekend!

Comments