Super 8 Terre Haute

3089 South First Street, I-70 at US 41 Exit 7, Terre Haute, Indiana, 47802, United States
Orbitz.com Expedia.com Booking.com

Satisfaction Poor

More about Terre Haute

Wildflowers in bloomWildflowers in bloom

Lovely bedroomLovely bedroom

This is the place-for the end...This is the place-for the end...

Road trip through Terre Haute

by dlandt

I'll be going through Terre Haute Friday, 13 Jun and am looking to make a stop to see what Terre Haute or the vicinity offers. I'd like to find a special local place to eat lunch, and would like to come up with at least one historical attraction not too far from Hwy 46. Also, any good microbrews to be tried, and any special sandwiches that are unique to W Indiana would be great. Thanks in advance.

by Dester

If you go state rd 231 through Jasper there is a strong German American community I think it's called the Brau Haus has some really good food at a good price.

by dlandt

I'll have to look at the map, but I love German food.

by dlandt

Bummer, waaaay too far south, down by Benson. I'll be driving to Bloomington.

by Dester

OOps sorry, I should have seen you ere coming from Chicago.

by DSwede

Try Moggers:

I don't have a tip posted for it since somebody else beat me too it, but it is a historical land mark and a microbrew!!

Two for the price of one.

by dlandt

Printed! I'll have a look when we get there. I always wonder how long a town has been aroudn when it has a French name.

Dave

by DSwede

I spent the better part of 4 years there and found that few actually knew what Terre Haute translated too.

If you want another place for a beer and a decent bite, try Sonka Pub or the one immediately across from Sonka. There's a tip or two on it. But I guess you might already be on your way.

Otherwise for things to do, the only other thing that jumps to mind is the Clabber Girl museum.

The main library has a nuclear fallout shelter... that's about it.
Oh, and there is a reference to Terre Haute in Steve Martin's "Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid". I won't give it away if you ever choose to watch it.

Travel Tips for Terre Haute

Terre Haute Tip

by gkitzmil

Just after the turn of the century and before prohibition, Terre Haute, Indiana was a commercial center with makers of grocery products, the nations first and third largest whiskey distillery, and the nations seventh largest brewery! Terre Haute is also the home of the famous Coca-Cola bottle. It was originally designed and cast by a Terre Haute Firm.

Fun stuff

by jperry1000

Inland Aquatics is a really cool fish hatchery, last I knew the world's largest indoor. The fish are beautiful and the emplyees will give you a tour for --low cost. Clabber Girl museum is neat, too. As of 2004 they added on quite a bit and have some old Hulman memorabilia (Hulman also owns the Indianapolis Motor Speedway for racing fans) they are adding kids areas and the bake shop has food.

Looking through fresh eyes

by jperry1000

When I first moved to Terre Haute I was given the "grand" tour by a local who liked it here--it definitely influences your attitude. Plus you just have to have an open mind and an adventerous spirit. I have moved dozens of times in my life and every place you go has it treasure if you're willing to talk to local people and find out what they think is special.

He took me around to the three major colleges Rose-Hulman, Indiana State, and St Mary of the Woods. The campuses are all beautiful I recommend getting out of the car...especially at St Mary-of-the- Woods. The history there is amazing. The shell chapel and the big cathedral are totally opposite but leave a lasting impression.

We also hit Inland Acquatics, Swope Art Museum, Clabber Girl Museum, and the historical museums. There are other smaller museums, too, but we didn't hit them. It shows the rich charchter TH once had and is working to preserve.

The Indiana Theater is an awesome setting for watching second tier movies. It all Spanish influence tiling, fresco, etc

He drove me through historical neighborhoods to get a flare for the place--like Farrington's Grove, Collet Park, Allendale, and Edgewood Grove...granted all nicer neighborhoods, but its neat to see how people live in a place.

I think one of the nicest things about Terre Haute is the park system. Fairbanks is right on the river, which for now is undeveloped and has an untamed beauty because of it. Deming Park has a great handicapped accessable playground and Hawthorne has a lake, trails, etc.

Anyway, I could ramble on. Visit. but get out of the car-driving through it will look like every other midsize community trying to balance history, growth, and community.

Comments