2609 University Blvd, (former Comfort Suites), Ames, Iowa, 50010, United States
Booking.com Expedia.com Travelocity

More about Ames

Tin StudentsTin Students

Grant Wood MuralGrant Wood Mural

ISU Marching Band--Pregame @ ISU-Oklahoma game-03ISU Marching Band--Pregame @ ISU-Oklahoma game-03

Travel Tips for Ames

You must:
1. Visit the...

by jpaustin

You must:
1. Visit the university.
2. Have a beer at the Lost and Found Lounge and/or Whiskey River.
3. Eat at Cafe Northwest.
4. Visit the public library--apparently, it's one of the best in the country.
5. Go to the art gallery.
6. Visit Big Table Books on Main St.--great selection of writers teaching at ISU and University of Iowa. Well, Ames will always be the site of my renewal: before I got here, I'd spent most of a year waiting tables and generally doubting myself on several fronts. Getting into ISU's English graduate program and moving here from Ohio signaled the end of my career as a server and the beginning of my (hopeful) career as a writer and professor.

James in Ames

by jpaustin

Ames is home to me for now because I'm a graduate student in Creative Writing and English at Iowa State University. I'm also a freshman English instructor (something which should have its own home page). Ames is located about half an hour north of Des Moines on I-35 and has a population of about 50,000 (not counting the university, which populates around 26,000). Not a flashy town, to be sure--it features the normal amount of franchise restaurants, movie theatres and the like. One curious fact: unlike most cities and towns I've been to, Ames simply ceases to exist once you reach the city limits. There is no fade-away or sprawl--you simply make a turn at the right time and you go from being in town to driving among the cornfields and dairy farms. I live on one of these edges--behind my apartment is a small forest, and beyond that a dairy farm.

Comments