6111 Fleur Drive, Des Moines, Iowa, 50321, United States
IHG Orbitz.com Booking.com

More about Des Moines

Des Moines City Hall may be in my futureDes Moines City Hall may be in my future

Des MoinesDes Moines

babybaby

Downtown, from 29,000 ftDowntown, from 29,000 ft

Travel Tips for Des Moines

Des Moines: Nice people, Nice economy

by midwesterner19

People in Des Moines are fairly nice and people seem very sociable. Des Moines seems like it is really going to be a nice place someday . Des Moines seems to have an unusually high number of tall buildings for a city of 200,000 people(the construction all over the place). Des Moines seems to have a fairly low crime rate, I walked by the public housing in Des Moines and found it to be kept-up and nice looking. If the public housing in Des Moines isnt bad looking, than common sense says the rest of the city most not be bad either. I think if somebody wants to travel to look for a job (especially insurance related) Des Moines is a very nice place.

One thing that most people...

by SheDragon

One thing that most people might miss is the Salisbury Faire. One reason it might get missed is because it is only on for one weekend out of the year. For locals, though, it is a definite must-see. The Salisbury Faire is the Des Moines version of a Renaissance Faire or Festival. It held to raise money to benefit the restoration of the Salisbury House. To see some pics of my visit this year, see my travelogue. Vsit their web site at http://www.salisburyhouse.org for more information.

I have decided to make this a...

by SheDragon

I have decided to make this a must-see activity with a warning in the middle of it. Downtown Des Moines has a neat network called the Sky Walk which threads through the second floor of several buildings. It crosses streets and runs through buildings with restaurants and shops and of course, access to the buildings and their businesses. For those who work in one of the buildings involved in this network, it can be a great way to get around in bad weather without having to be outside in the mess.
The warning is this: beware of the maps. The maps are oriented to where you are...in other words, two maps may not look the same. The first day I tried to get around in this, I was trying to get back to my car from my first day at work. I was using the maps, which are situated at just about every junction, and was about two blocks off in the wrong direction before I realized what was happening with the maps. What took me five to ten minutes to achieve by crossing the street outside took me over twenty minutes through the Sky Walk including getting lost. I can see how the Sky Walk can be a wonderful thing, but it can be very confusing until you know your way around.

Comments